Print Story Now I long for yesterday
By aethucyn (Tue Jan 09, 2007 at 06:29:13 PM EST) (all tags)
Inside: Nostalgia

The term nostalgia was originially considered to be a disease. I was thinking about that recently after mentioning my co-workers and their justifications for the job we do in a diary. As I think I've mentioned before, most of the people who are in my unit are aged 60+ which puts them close to my parents age, and yet, they remind me more of my grandparents than my parents. Not stupid people, but less educated. A few had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the computer age, and one in particular has at least one computer related issue a day.

Most of the time, conversation is simply little quips back and forth, perhaps something amusing in the debtor mail. But every so often, somebody gets started and it's Nostalgiafest. They're not the sort who tell you how tough everything was, but rather how much better things were, especially people. Around Halloween, they exclaimed how it was no longer safe for kids to go Trick or Treating. (I pointed out that all recorded instances of tampered Halloween candy were performed by the parents of the victim), how you can't leave your doors unlocked, and yes, how there is no longer any personal responsibility. Which is how it ties to our work, since to believe that you're doing right in the debt collection biz is to believe that the debtors are simply irresponsible. And sometimes they're right, but I don't think we're in the best position to judge that.
Still, to hear it told, when they were growing up, everybody shouldered their burden and didn't complain. Listening to them, the idea of nostalgia as an illness seems plausible. It blinds them from an acurate understanding of the past, and impairs their vision of the present.

I like to hope that I am less prone to the disease, though I doubt any of us are immune. I'll hear things from my contemporaries that always make me go 'Huh?' Like people will pick a year and declare that all music that came after it is crap. That year might be their senior prom, when they graduated college, or when they got married. Which is to say, it happened at point when they realized that life was not going to ever get any better than that moment. I, more often, find that there's music that I have a hard time listening to anymore. It puts me too much in that moment, and well, I'm glad that moment is over. So while I was a fanatical Beatles fan in the 7th and 8th grades, I don't have a single Beatles cd, and only ever hear them by accident.

Or there are the people who will spend an afternoon watching cartoons and declare that nobody makes good childrens' cartoons anymore. Truth be told, nobody ever really did. I found a couple of episodes of Transformers on youtube, and they were really bad. I mean, it was way cool when I was a kid, and I can see what appealed to me, but there's only so much you can do in 20 minutes with the assumption that your audience hyper with sugar, and ADD. The characters are flat, the plots simplistic. (I saw Optimus Prime get almost killed, and then revived in time to challenege Megatron to one-on-one combat. It was pretty easy to almost kill Prime, I wonder why the Deceptacons didn't do it every episode).

But as I said, I'm not immune. There are songs that I listen to just because it was on the radio at some point that I was pretty happy. But I try to be honest with myself and admit that there's stuff that I like for that reason, and not because it's somehow better than it's current day equivalent. As for music today, I love it. Not much of what you'll hear on the radio, but it is a fascinating and rich time for music. Admittedly, they're mining quite a bit from the past, themselves, but not as simple rehash. Swing, blues, bluegrass, 60s pop, lounge, bossa nova, new wave, roots, old style country. It's taking a look back, but it always suggests that the best day of my life is tomorrow.

< The end of a friendship. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Now I long for yesterday | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
Nostalgia by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:11:59 AM EST
is an interesting topic for me, and I think I fall solidly in your camp. There are songs and movies and tv shows and books that all transport me back to a particular time. Well, not so much a time as an emotional state, I think. And sometimes, when I miss people who aren't around any longer, or when I want to get that rush of 20-year-old energy and hope, I revisit that stuff.

That said, I would never want to be 20 or any other age. My ex-partner seemed to be stuck in her high school years - nothing was better than her high school volleyball team, for instance, and even then, I found it really annoying.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

heretic! by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 03:09:03 AM EST

To balance your karma, a packing crate carrying a tasmanian devil will be mistakenly delivered to your house. Mayhem and hilarity will ensue.

that's all folks!

One the one hand, I concede you a point by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 02:41:54 PM EST
but I would also offer this as a counter. The early era of Warner Brothers Cartoons were not created with the intent of being children's cartoons. They were made with the intent of preceding the feature film, and as such were meant for a general audience and not simply for children.

touche by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 04:16:00 PM EST
I can't think of many kids cartoons that don't suck, but there must be a few...

Animaniacs
Pinky and the Brain
Inspector Gadget
Pink Panther

Muppets/Sesame Street (I know they aren't really a cartoon)

I loved Robotech back in the day but admittedly haven't watched it lately.

There are a few by aethucyn (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:15:10 PM EST
but they're rare, and never the norm for a time period. It's the way of television. You air a lot of stuff that is safe but somewhat amusing, a few things that are universally considered awful, one or two shows that push the envelope a little and are loved, and one or two shows that are even more daring, develop rabid fans and get cancelled either quickly, or often.

But I'll say that a few years back I saw Samurai Jack on the Cartoon Network, and while I don't know what their demographic intent was, I thought it was pretty cool. So yeah, I overstated my case. But I think the only thing that truly made my childhood a 'golden age' for cartoons was that it was the high point of Saturday morning cartoons in terms of numbers. Three major networks with cartoons running from 6 in the morning until almost noon when it would suddenly change to bowling. Quality? Not really, but it rocked for quantity.

Yesterday by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 05:38:46 AM EST
Yesterday
all my trouble seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they`re here to stay
Oh I believe in yesterday

Suddenly
I`m not half the man I used to be
there`s a shadow hanging over me
Oh yesterday came suddenly
Why she had to go I don`t know
she wouldn`t say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday

Yesterday
Love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh I believe in yesterday
Why she had to go.......

Yesterday
Love was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away
Oh, I believe in yesterday
Mm mm mm mm mm mm mm............
"I don't have enough middle fingers to communicate my feelings to you." --clover kicker

Old music is the best... by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 10, 2007 at 08:50:59 AM EST
because everyone forgets about all the bad old music. 30 years from now, some of today's music will be seen as great, but most will be forgotten.

It's Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.*

* Except Beatles songs. They're only about 73% crap.

Now I long for yesterday | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)