Print Story Sentimental Yearning
By paperdoll (Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 05:29:34 AM EST) (all tags)
Photo Diary, sentimental wandering, family crap

We were basically always friends we fought now and then what sisters don't, but we were always close.

We would give each other the giggles so bad sometimes that we couldn't stop or talk.  Sometimes we wouldn't even remember what had started it, we went out to eat with the family once and they put us at a separate nearby table because we couldn't stop laughing.  We ate Jell-O through straws and made bets about who could make funnier noises through the straw, she nearly stabbed a waiter with her fork that night and all we could do was collapse in laughter the apology never made it out.  She could only laugh and wave the fork at him shaking her head, I could only laugh.

Then I got a car and we were summer free.  We went everywhere together.  We spent that summer trying to see who could make the other do the worse spit take or get the soda through the nose.  I won when she sneezed up in a fit of laughter Dr Pepper and sesame seeds at Burger King one afternoon.  There was a store in town called Thrifty that sold cylindrical scoops of ice cream in a cone for a dollar, we were there almost everyday.  It was also a real store with departments; toys, pharmacy, clothes, magazines and electronics.  She wanted to buy a camera for our vacation so we got an ice cream and went to look at cameras.  No one was at the counter we rang the bell and waited but nothing.  She got impatient and decided the one she wanted was right there on the wall, she would just get it and we would go pay.  She plucked up her courage and started to push the little gate to go back there.  An alarm started blaring she got this terrified look on her face threw her ice cream to the side and yelled “RUN”, and we did.  We ran and ran out of the store, into the parking lot, to the car, and went speeding off.  After the adrenaline calmed down I pulled into a park we got out and fell in the grass laughing at our adventure.  She never went back in that store, she was afraid they might recognise her.  I would have to go get the ice cream myself and bring it out to her.

We could be bad and defiant together in harmless ways, but we felt like rebels.  She went through an obsessive Doors phase and when the movie was being advertised our parents said she was too young to go see it.  The day the movie opened I skipped class, picked her up at school, claiming some emergency, and we went to see the film.  Little things like that, sneaking off with the church envelope and spending the money on plants and sodas instead of going to the eight am mass.  We were a team.  We would even gang up to tease the baby together, and our joint efforts could almost guarantee tears.

My senior year of High School I took her everywhere with me; to study, to parties, to functions, anywhere I could, she would be starting High School the next year and I wanted her to know people and be comfortable.  Through me she met most of the friends she would have through out her High School years and some she still has, she even met her husband to be.  She was Maid of Honor at my wedding, I was Matron of Honor at hers we were close.

We used to talk about everything and nothing all the time.  So what happened now we almost never talk at all?  Thanksgiving all I could get out of my attempts at conversation were two even three word answers.  I don't understand her anymore.  The longest conversation I have had with my sister in years is when I called her out of the blue while I was stuck in the drive through line at a chicken joint.  I called her many times the day of her husband's back surgery to check on her to let her know she wasn't alone.  He appreciated it but I don't know if she did, she seemed almost annoyed.

I miss my sister, my friend.  Did she outgrow me?  I just don't fit in with her scientific, sophisticated lifestyle.  Maybe I'm too small town or too sentimental but I love her.

I still never forget her birthday.

< a little music for you | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Sentimental Yearning | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
This reminds me... by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 05:36:26 AM EST
I hate George Lucas, yet I love Star Wars.

An embittered +1FP vote here.

Nooooooooooooooo by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 04:52:16 PM EST
Don't be hatin on ol' George. He'sa fricken genius.  I mean Jar Jar Binks?!?!?!

Click
I'd hit that like nobody's business by debacle (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 06:05:33 AM EST
I can't be the only one.

It's that by paperdoll (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:06:32 AM EST
sexy cat suit isn't it?

Nice. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 06:23:45 AM EST
I love old pics.

I think sisters are supposed to find different paths. Although it doesn't matter how disparate, you'll always find a way to connect, because you are sisters.

Sisters rule

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

I know by paperdoll (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:07:32 AM EST
we'll always be sisters I just wish we were still friends.

give it time? by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 07:15:32 AM EST
i don't know how old you are but there's always a chance you'll reconnect when she's ready to do that. i'm still kinda waiting to do that with my little brother although we were never as close as you were with your sister.

+1FP by moonvine (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 31, 2007 at 10:44:54 AM EST
what a wonderful diary of your memories. i hope you and your sister rekindle that sweet love, adoration, and understanding for each other.

So do I by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Feb 01, 2007 at 08:45:11 AM EST
I'm beginning to doubt it though.  Writing it all down made me realise just how far we are from each other.

I totally understand your pain by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 04:52:40 AM EST
My sister and I used to be really close.  Then she moved to Philly and got married, and only has time to talk to me every 2-3 weeks for a maximum of 10 minutes at a time ("I'm on the way to pick up my husband, so I can't talk"  "my husband just walked in, and i haven't seen him all day" etc).

To make things worse, she's admitted some really awful hurtful things that have really broken my heart.  Then, last year when she was pregnant she decided it would be funny to send her sonigram pic to everybody - including clock, who wasn't even living with me at the time! - except me.  What finally pushed me over the edge was her refusal to believe I was pregnant - she was convinced that I was having a "phantom pregnancy."  WTF?

So yeah, it seems I have been very wrong about the nature of my relationship with my sister.  It hurts me to no end.  :(

I'm so sorry Stacky by paperdoll (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 02, 2007 at 06:35:47 AM EST
Luckily I don't THINK there is animosity or issues between my younger sister and myself just space.  Lots and lots of space we speak every 2-3 months for a few minutes. I simply don't have the language to converse with her. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm really not smart enough to be her friend anymore, she uses a vocabulary in her everyday life that I just don't know.

My baby sister and I have issues she loves to try to make me feel bad to make herself feel better.  Nothing makes her happier than making me feel like sh#t and then asking for a favour.

So now I avoid her no one has the right to make me or you for that matter feel so bad.

Sentimental Yearning | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)