Print Story 10:39
By iGrrrl (Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 06:12:41 AM EST) (all tags)
Before I forget how to do one of these...

Things are fine with me, not so fine with my partner, who is heading so deep into burnout territory that I'm considering calling his CEO and telling him to force a vacation on him.  Our trip to visit friends and family in Sweden involved him working at least six hours a day for the first week, and staying in constant touch through the second.

But cooool thing:  Our friends in Uppsala have the coolest house, including modding the stairs so that kids can climb ladders, and indoor rope ladder, neat nooks and crannys, walls covered with the best art he's ever made, and, outdoors, the hundred foot Slip-n-Slide.  Not being content with the mere seventeen foot version, Artist M buys a roll of builder's plastic and a bunch of cheap inflatable rafts and adds to the Whammo version with a long downhill that ends in a splash pool.  To further cool-ify it, he hooks it up to the shower, so it has warm water.

His idea of a good bath is to douse the kids in shampoo, which makes them go faster, and send them down the slide.

There were many other amazing things.  I didn't know it would curl my toes to see a first edition printing of Principia Mathematica, but it did.  The Gustavarium , which had it on display along with thousands of other things to make a scientist swoon, is a must see.

In other news:

• Work is heating back up again, so I have to remember how to do it.
  • Little K visits her Kindergarten classroom today.  Now we have to figure out how to deal with the temporal dislocation problem of the school issuing an afternoon Kindergarten assignment and a morning bus pass.
  • MJ starts preschool in a few weeks. (Remember, the way people found out that MJ was expected was when I told Rusty, "I'm pregnant.  I'm stealing your pickle."
  • My target weight is 125, so I have about seven pounds to go.
  • We're sailing over to the Vineyard next week and will anchor off Menemsha so that MJ can see his godfathers.  One of them has started law school in New York, so we want a little time before he's too far away.
  • I finally gave to the clothing box four bags of my mother's clothes, which had been sitting in the basement of the condo.
  • Our house was supposed to be panted while we were gone.  It's still not finished, but in the mean time, I'm using the chaos to get rid of things.  I put ALL the papers I had in my files from graduate school into the recycle, and shreded seven grocery bags full of financial documents.  Last night I did a toy purge, and this morning, the kids helped (!) by putting more things in the "trash/someone can use" bags.
  • I am getting rid of stuff
  • I made my first trip to IKEA and fell in love.  I'll be getting new bookshelves for my office with a corner unit, and getting rid of the pine boards screwed together version.  I'll have to organize my graphic novels better.  I have the Cerebus phone books and random Moebuis, Machine Man, From Hell, etc. down here, whereas the Sandman and Hellblazers are upstairs in the bedroom.  I'm considering having a book binder friend bind up my copies of the Alan Moore-penned Swamp Things and the Cerebus that I have in issues that I don't want to re-buy, like the Jaka's Story and Reads runs.
  • Which reminds me.  I never got the last issue of the second story of Mage.  Also, need to order my copy of Lost Girls.

[[Interrupted to go order stuff on Amazon and hyperlink stuff above]]
  • The kids call IKEA "Stuff Mart"
  • A month or so ago toxicfur, $coworker and I were driving on the Mass Pike.  (Did I tell you this already?)  There was a car with lots of Leftist bumper stickers, including one that read "Defy Corporate Dominance" or some such.  She was drinking a Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, with the plastic cup inside a styrofoam cup.  Yeah, that's sutainable, lady.
  • Concepts in the water and diplomacy grant may apply to the minority health disparities grant.  I love it when that happens.  Now I have to go write on both of those.

11:11

< My hands kinda feel just like two balloons | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
10:39 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
One big advantage city schools have by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 06:16:06 AM EST
over the neighboring suburban ones is full day kindergarten! Mrs. Ha will be free most days in two weeks.

We had the option by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 06:21:51 AM EST
I chose half day because her birthday is August 1, so she's just barely five.  I think she'll do better and be slightly less overwhelmed.  At the end of the semester, we'll see if she wants to do extended day.
"I honestly pity the stupid motherfucker who tries to talk down to iGrrrl" - mrgoat
i went all day by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 04:21:38 PM EST
my birthday is 8-9, and according to my mom, my teacher says it was useless to try to teach anything important after lunch because i was just too tired.
---------
Dance On, Gir!
will the world end by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 06:59:19 AM EST
or the corporation fail while partner is on vacation in sweeden ? ie he has a choice to work or not work.. Disagree with that choice as you will.

choices by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 07:20:37 AM EST
Actually, yes, a key test product test would have failed had he not been working.  He doesn't work for a company.  He is large parts of the company (co-founder and VP of Technology and Making $product Work).  So, the choice was to work or metaphorically shoot ten years of effort in the foot.  It really is different depending on whether your work for the Man or are the Man.
leftist bumper stickers by MM (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 08:24:44 AM EST
I have one from the same place as the one you saw (sounds like unamerican.com) that states "California is overrated." I've had it for ~10 years. It isn't ironic or silly or correct or wrong, but I try to reflect on it every morning when I see it if only subconsciously. Lest I lose my midwestern sensibility, you know?

Sounds good by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 10:11:37 AM EST
Sounds better than the bumpersticker common in Seattle fifteen years ago: Don't Californicate me.

I have a T-shirt from Don't Panic that I wear every July 4:  "Don't assume your freedoms are assured."

glad you're staying in practice by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 09:24:19 AM EST
... writing these things.

That is one very cool house.

I was there when you said that to rusty.

You have a lot of Ms in your links.

I have to go back to work now.

Do not misuse.

Yes. by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 10:13:21 AM EST
It is a very cool house, but that's a reflection on the denizens.

Yes, you were there, and I think you called "Sigged!" first!

That's because I didn't like the Cerebi or From Hell.  I wonder why I didn't do that?

You didn't like "From Hell"? by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 10:20:15 AM EST
Hm. I liked it a lot, though I realize the Jack the Ripper theory is unlikely at best. I think my favorite part was reading the footnotes. I like footnotes.
er wait by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 10:23:48 AM EST
like should be link.

Sorry.

I think ... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Aug 29, 2006 at 10:35:23 AM EST
rusty made the first sig threat, but then eann and I actually did it. Ah, wonder where eann is now.</nostalgia>

Do not misuse.
10:39 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)