Print Story Salvation from the Dryer
By paperdoll (Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 10:46:41 AM EST) (all tags)
Strange things that pop into the mind for no reason

I just found out that the insomnia medicine my doctor prescribed for me is also used to treat depression and two of the side effects are sleeplessness and nightmares.  How is this good for sleep problems?  I can have sleeplessness and nightmares without being medicated; those are problems I've had since childhood.

Do you have one nightmare that you still remember from childhood?  Distinct memories not just random themes, I have one that I can remember to this day I had it when I was four.

A two story house white siding, black rickety staircase runs on the outside of the house, a dark coloured door not the same as the stair.  I am very far from the house but I can see it clearly.  Somehow it's my house, my families house though it is nothing like our “real” house.  I see two men go in they are wearing little black masks like the beagle boys from the comics.  I know these men are hurting my Mom and Dad, my stomach knots up still thinking about how I knew and how upset I was about it.  I have to save them I start running towards the house it grows bigger in my vision.  I don't remember going in but somehow I'm downstairs in a basement or utility room, there is garish wallpaper up with bright big flowers in yellows and oranges.  For some reason my big rescue plan involves putting bricks in the dryer, I can still see them and hear them tumbling around knowing in my heart that this would work.  But they know I'm down here and that I have the secret to foil them.  I hear a door open light spills into the room and I can hear muffled cries of my Mother, they are going to catch me.  I don't remember anymore so I might have woken up at that point.

My childhood for as long as I can remember was plagued with vivid nightmares that I didn't have the vocabulary to express to the parents woken by my nightly screams.  I don't know why that one sticks in my memory or why it still upsets me to think about.  I don't even know what brought it to mind today, but there it was right in the middle of my work day.

What were the bricks for?

< Something to Type | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Salvation from the Dryer | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
I suffered from this one re-occurring nightmare. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 11:03:52 AM EST
Same bad dream, about three or four times a month, from fourth grade to my senior year of college.

Strangely, I also had a series of dreams located in the same "location" - I guess it could be described as complete fictional, but apparently stable setting that I revisited again and again in dreams. It was destroyed in a dream I had last year. I actually had a dream that the place was torn down. I have not had a dream set there since.

i have had at least three stable locations by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 12:37:12 PM EST
Minimal timespans: One from 5yo-10yo, one from 8yo-22yo, one for the last 2 years.

They are stable, and as for your destruction, significant changes typically persist. The first two covered something like a small town (a few square miles), the latest one is a neighborhood.

Mine was a small city. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 03:06:01 AM EST
Urban port town. In the dream I was offered a chance to save it but I didn't trust the person offering the chance, so I passed it over and it was gone.

I've since wondered if I shouldn't have taken them up on their offer, but that doesn't seem to matter now.

Do (did) your stable dream locations overlap in time?

Being a dissociated entity by debacle (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 11:07:51 AM EST
I can clearly remember more than twenty nightmares that I had before I was 10. Also a good amount of dreams.

Needless to say I don't find much merit in the waking world.

I don't know about the bricks. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 01:56:41 PM EST
I'm pretty sure that the flowers have something to do with your vagina.

I had a few good ones by webwench (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 05:11:51 PM EST
My earliest nightmare was before I was five; I dreamed I was in the backyard behind our condo, and I was desperately thirsty. A witch offered me a glass of water, but before I could drink it, a big dog came and bit me around the waist, pinching me down like a wasp. And I was dying, and so thirsty that all I wanted in the world was that water :(

Later, when I was ten or eleven, I dreamed I was floating in blackness, and a loud, dark voice asked me, what was my choice? I hesitated, and it told me I had made my choice and therefore I belonged to him and was going to hell. I screamed "noooo' and woke myself up. Weird dream for an atheist girl to have.

As a teen and young adult, I had repeating dreams that I was being pursued and shot at, usually through my own or a grandparent's house. Sometimes it was strangers trying to kill me and my family; other times my own family was trying to kill me. Sometimes the dream ended while I was still being pursued; other times the dream ended upon me being shot, but only after a while of 'laying' there in dreamland knowing I had been shot.

Now, I rarely remember my dreams, if I still have them.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Probably stemming from that thing. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 05:15:16 PM EST
You know-- that thing.

No idea by webwench (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 05:39:36 AM EST
and sometimes your trolls just aren't that funny.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Madame, are you insinuating I was 'trolling'? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 04:07:06 PM EST
They can't all be gems.

If by calla (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Aug 26, 2006 at 06:46:12 PM EST
<head slowly shaking>you only knew.</head slowly shaking>

"but i have a vested interest in keeping the people who see me naked interested in continuing to see me naked." 256

I remember a few by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 25, 2006 at 07:17:18 PM EST
I used to have night terrors as a kid. I eventually developed an early warning system of sorts so I knew something bad was coming and I could shut the dream off and wake myself up. Sometimes though, the occaisional one sneaks up and happens, but not often. As a child I dreamt of being mauled by bears, mutant taxidermed lions come back to life to kill me, falling over cliffs and hitting bottom, drowning, being chased by posessed porcelain dolls, being hit repeatedly with a hammer by a family member, being paralyzed and in the presence of death him self who was in my parents house come to take me away, alien abductions, ghosts. The ghost ones really scared the hell out of me. In contrast, as a child I also was able to have lucid dreams, fly, and visit colorful and fantasic places. Most dreams I do remember, I remember in vivid detail as if it really happened to me.

Maybe the bricks were a distraction? Eh.

Happy dreaming.

Salvation from the Dryer | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)