Print Story WFC3!!
By fleece (Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:28:28 AM EST) (all tags)
is here!

For those new to the concept, this is yet another Husi Writing Fun Challenge. The third in fact.
As teh winar of the last one I get the job of hosting this one. I want YOU to host the next one! (Yes YOU!)

details over the fold

Update [2006-8-22 9:49:37 by fleece]: - closing date for entries is 12 noon GMT, 24th August, 2006

I know I'm supposed to supposed to use lots of exclamation marks and get the energy levels up, but I'm in a just-the-facts-ma'am kind of mood, so that's all you get. (long day at work plus red wine makes me lazy)

A previous poll told me that most people think the following constraints are best

Word length: 2000 max
UPDATED Closing Date: 12 Noon, 24th August GMT
Theme: Death and Rebirth
Upload site: http://256k.org/wfc3

That's it! Go for it. Why death and rebirth? I don't know really. The backstory is a guy I was in a band with years ago repaired a wrecked guitar, then he got those stick-on letters from the newsagent and rubbed its name onto the front - "Death & Rebirth". The phrase just sort of floats to the front of my subconscious now and then...

And no i don't have a pre-canned idea for this theme yet. I'm as lost as you are...

There's any number of ways this theme can be interpreted, so no excuses!

3-2-1 GO!

< Photo Wednesday: Cathedral | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
WFC3!! | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden)
Thanks! by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:38:05 AM EST
what's that due date/time in, say, GMT?

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

i dunno by fleece (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:05:01 AM EST
about 12 hours later? I have no idea. I'm just thinking of a map and guessing.

UTC+10 by thunderbee (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:28:49 AM EST

So... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 03:07:24 AM EST
That'd make the deadline 1400 GMT on 23 August (unless, by "midnight, Aug 23" fleece means the beginning, instead of the end, of that calendar day in AUia).

Which, if my arithmetic is correct would be 10am EDT, 7am PDT on the 23rd of August.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

make it the 1400 GMT on the 24th by fleece (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 04:07:26 AM EST
cos I meant end of the day...i think that's right yeah? we're much closer to the dateline than you?

nope, ana's right by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 04:17:48 AM EST
When you cross the dateline going W to E you go back a day.

For a couple years I had a lot of practice translating from Eastern US time to Eastern AU time.

Do not misuse.

Used to give me hell on scheduling by Phage (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 04:49:21 AM EST
Always had to be done a day earlier than everyone else.

Except, of course... by ana (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 04:53:58 AM EST
that it's fleece's deadline to set. So in this connection, fleece is always right.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

Solution: by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 05:14:36 AM EST
Read the deadline as "Aug 20, midnight EST" and you won't have any problems no matter what he decides.

Vive le Montréal libre.
Death and Rebirth by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:20:05 AM EST

... you say guitar(s) ... and here I thought it was just a NGE themed thing.

Anyway, interesting theme, thanks for posting / getting-the-ball-rolling.

VS2FP! by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 03:12:51 AM EST
...so people can find it later.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

excellent by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 03:59:12 AM EST
Thanks for getting this started, and for putting the deadline just enough past my crazy-busy period to be in no-excuses-not-to-enter territory.

Do not misuse.
apologies by 256 (4.00 / 4) #13 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 08:35:59 AM EST
i've been neglecting my internets for the past week.

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

thank you sir! by fleece (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:23:33 PM EST
you succeed it, exceedingly! :-)

DEAR ADMINS by fleece (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:27:36 PM EST
this link would look totally cool as a replacement to my "TBA" up in the body.

thanks

Fixed. by ana (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 01:47:38 PM EST
thanks for asking; i prolly should have thought of that myself.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

also ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 2) #17 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 02:21:26 PM EST

... thanks for hosting all these *FCs. Much appreciated.

I agree by cam (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 07:48:42 PM EST
merci mille fois by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Aug 04, 2006 at 05:49:51 PM EST
But I think that "Be the first" needs to be enlinkified on that page.

Do not misuse.
i've PMed 256 to put in a link to upload stories by fleece (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Aug 05, 2006 at 03:22:59 PM EST
but i think we can safely assume it's this:

are entries anonymous this time round? by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Aug 06, 2006 at 09:47:40 AM EST
As they are appearing non-anonymously on the upload site.

Do not misuse.
hmm that's bad. by fleece (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Aug 06, 2006 at 09:24:39 PM EST
I don't think 256 has logged in here for a bit (he didn't reply to my PM) so i've emailed him - hopefully he's not like, camping in the forest or something, but in the meantime DON'T UPLOAD YOUR STORY YET PPL

many apologies by 256 (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 06:01:55 AM EST
hadn't updated the endtime variable, so the app thought the contest was over.

thus, the lack of an upload link, and the displaying of names if people went directly to the upload url.

i was indeed out of town, but am back now and have fixed the problem.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

rockin' by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Aug 09, 2006 at 07:43:05 AM EST
Thanks again.

Do not misuse.
Can the author of by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Aug 16, 2006 at 05:53:52 PM EST
"The Resurrection Men Hall of Fame" repost it in a different format? The paragraph per line makes it rather hard to read.

txt files by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Aug 17, 2006 at 03:34:55 AM EST
If your browser doesn't linewrap them, go to "View Source" (usually Ctrl-U) and read it there. It's not ideal, but it works.

That said, I'm a big fan of txt files that have manual line breaks in them (at least for this purpose).

Do not misuse.

"Taxi Rank" by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #27 Fri Aug 18, 2006 at 11:36:49 AM EST
I've pretty much given up on guessing who wrote what story. I was so off last time that it hardly seems worth the effort.

Still, I can't help but dig it when something that seems to give a clue to the identity of writer pops up. For example, the term "taxi rank." I've never heard that term before (it appears in "Danny and Jules") and it seems like the sort of thing an American, even if they were writing about the UK, wouldn't use. (Though it could very well be a Canadian or Australian term too, I wouldn't know.)

Not that "possible UK resident" narrows anything down. I still have no idea who wrote what. I just thought I'd comment on how much fun pondering such "clues" is.

WFC3!! | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden)