Print Story Late photo Wednesday.
Photos
By ambrosen (Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 01:08:57 PM EST) Photos, photo Wednesday (all tags)
Because I said I would to stark, and I just got around to installing the sync program and finding the nonstandard USB cable.

A somewhat overdone, but still striking picture. It struck me as better than flickr's average for the subject.

Remind you of anything? Penny Arcade`s fruit fucker, maybe?

I think it fairs pretty well against most of the flickr photos of the subject.

It's nice having a bit of iconic architecture around. The city I grew up in has got steadily nicer as my life has progressed. I hope that this continues to be the case.

< Weekend fun and stuff. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Late photo Wednesday. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)
Oops. by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #1 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 01:10:26 PM EST
Guess who put a ' in the alt tag?

Here's the photo.

Very nice. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 08:05:56 AM EST
Pity about the light on the left. Although - I dunno, it make actually make the picture more interesting.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?
I think it'd be dull without it. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 08:15:03 AM EST
It makes it look a bit more like a spacecraft landing light.

hurk. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 08:58:17 AM EST
make actually make?

Nobody told me middle age is dsylexic!

As for the light - yeah, on consideration, I agree - the light does add something to the photo.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

It's probably concentrating on by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 09:13:54 AM EST
several million other things at the same time. That's what makes me write rubbish.

Went up to it briefly by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jul 07, 2006 at 02:33:30 AM EST
On a National Express stop-off in Birmingham. I think it looks a bit cheap and nasty close up - not sure how long it'll last. Another future eyesore to join the others?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Wow by paperdoll (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 01:14:36 PM EST
what is it for I've never seen a structure like it?

It's a department store. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 01:19:55 PM EST
The silver dots are just decorative trimmings.

It's not universally popular, but it's a nice contrast to e.g. the neighbouring church. And it's certainly distinctive.

Lies! by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 02:34:59 PM EST
You built that in Maya, didn't you.

I admit it. by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 02:42:55 PM EST
It is entirely rendered. It took a long time getting all those other flickr accounts to post it and whatnot, but I think it was worth it.

OTOH, had I rendered it, I would have put a much better and more affordable range of weird shit foods that fit my diet in the deli department.

It's a good photo by spacejack (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 02:57:21 PM EST
I like it better than the others too. Buildings these days though... it looks like the architect just gets stoned, sits down in front of Maya for a while and then clicks the "construct" button.

I was very pleased with it, too. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 03:49:54 PM EST
I think my (phone) camera overdoes the blue of the night sky, but it's definitely pleasing. I love midsummer evenings after sunset.

I think the building's a kind of post-brutalist thing, where the materials dictate no form, so the exterior has to be decoration. It is distinctive, and as a part of the cityscape, it performs admirably.

The architect by ajf (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 07:28:06 PM EST
Maybe you didn't see ambrosen's other link. He's not stoned, he's developing "a new typology of retail building". I mean, HOLY FUCKING SHIT! A NEW TYPOLOGY! That must be awesome.

Or maybe it's just some silly bastard of an architecture critic thinking he could make the word "type" more interesting by using a similar but wrong word instead. But that wouldn't be as awesome.

"I am not buying this jam, it's full of conservatives"

I wouldn't blame the critic, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 07:45:45 PM EST
I imagine that's verbatim from the architects themselves. I've nursed a friend through the deconstructivist phase of an architecture degree, and they do choose to overdefine process, and abstract too many levels away until every flourish becomes paradigmatic.

My friend's brain was fried. But he's happy now.

If I designed it by gazbo (4.00 / 2) #14 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 04:54:56 AM EST
I'd have included a sushi bar that DIDN'T FUCKING CHARGE FOR TAP BASTARD WATER.

That's only to make sure by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 04:58:47 AM EST
that you don't fill up on tap water, so you've got room left over to go to the Krispy Kreme and buy three donuts and eat all of them.

I've never eaten at those eating places though. I haven't even bought the £85 sandwich they make.

Sell Fridges? by Ignore Amos (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 09:46:14 PM EST
Is that some kind of Jetsoned-out appliance store?

A moderately posh department store by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 02:44:39 AM EST
I don't think they do white goods, being a city centre location. The Jetsons analogy is spot on, though

Nice by stark (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 11:30:15 PM EST
I like the sinuous lines.

It's pretty clear and sharp for a phone camera - what model do you have, and did you run it through anything after getting it off the phone?
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

The building's a gift for curves by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 02:41:08 AM EST
One of the better features of Birmingham is that its city centre is hillier than most, so you can get different vantage points on things easily. The architects of the Bullring took advantage of this so there's loads of vistas. And popping in late at night, the light was really nice.

The phone's a Nokia N90, with a Zeiss branded lens. The advantage over a camera is that it's free/subsidised

Late photo Wednesday. | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)