Print Story Give me Liberty or give me Government cheese
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 05:55:36 AM EST) All this and much much more!! (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Eating paint chips since 1974...

• Does anyone on the planet still doubt that Lance Armstrong is a cheater? I mean, the guy is still a great bicyclist, having won the World Series of Bicycles all those times is still quite an accomplishment, even with all those performance enhancing drugs he was taking. But, that said, why not be a man and do the right thing at this point, instead of crying like a girl and threatening people. Geez, what happened to the old days when real men had character and backbone?
  • Alright, I'm starting to think about maybe getting a new car. Not a NEW car, but a new-to-me car that is. Like a 1 or 2 year old car, so I don't pay the off the lot depreciation and whatnot. That's what I've done the past two times and had good luck with them. I'm in no hurry as the 86 Escort is still running great and it generally cost me less than a grand a year for upkeep, which is pretty cheap in my book, but it's getting kinda beat up and I'm getting kinda tired of driving it. Anyways, I'm think of maybe a Honda Accord (those are supposed to be pretty nice cars although I've never had one) or a Mazda 6 (I like the looks of them) or a VW Passat (they're a bit over-priced but I dig the classy refined look of them). Or maybe something else, who knows.
  • I can't find a setting for adjusting the clock on my cell phone???? Is it automatically kept current from the providers network? Or what? That's about all I can figure. It's a shame those things don't come with better user manuals.
  • Lunch today will be a chicken stemmitch, with a tomatoe and some BBQ sauce, and a tub of pasta with FAT FREE Italian dressing all slathered over it. Plus some Frosted Mini Wheats for a snack. Yummers.
  • I just found out that I'm off "work" on both Montag and Tuestag next week, in order to celebrate the Fourth of July Holiday. (the day that Jesus came back from the dead and discovered Americia) Woo!!!
  • I watched the new remake of The Longest Yard last night. Hmpf. I don't know, I guess I thought it was okay but really had a hard time with Pauly Shore er uh Carrot-top er uh, Adam Sandler as the lead role. I mean, he hardly looks like the rough tough football player guy he's supposed to be, and lets face it, he makes Tom Cruise look like a good actor. But, be that as it may, the movie doesn't completely suck, it's just not very good. I give it 7219/10,000.
< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Give me Liberty or give me Government cheese | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden)
I'd recommend against the Passat by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:12:56 AM EST
Pros:
  1. fun as hell to drive
  2. membership in the world-wide super secret VW owner club
  3. one of the safest cars on the road to be in should you have a really, really bad wreck
Cons:
  1. changing the oil costs twice as much as getting a new transmission replaced on either a Honda or Mazda
  2. VW is renowned across the world for having flaky electronics
  3. when you need repairs, parts typically have to be flown in from Germany
Other considerations: if you find someone willing to part with their Passat TDI, you'll save boatloads of money on fuel over the long run vs. the Mazda 6, Honda Accord or Passat VR6.

Cicero, The Republic
Mazda 6 by cam (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:22:59 AM EST
Is an awesome car. They are in high demand at the rental place I use, everyone asks for them. I have been lucky enough to get the Mazda 6 a couple of times on my jaunts to NJ. Its interior is just ok, nothing stands out, but to drive .....

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I'm looking forward to driving one by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:31:19 AM EST
I've read they're pretty spunky and fun.

I'm wondering how they compare with the Accords wrt how it rides. Should be fun to try them out.

--Your best pal Bob

Of all the rental cars I have driven by cam (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:36:23 AM EST
over the last three years or so the Mazda 6 and Chevy Impala are the only two that I would consider to actually buy.

Since I rent at least once a month, and as often as twice a month I have been in a far few cars.

Honda and VW dont rent in the US so cant say on the Accord.

A mate of mine bought a Camry SE about a month ago. That is a pretty sweet car too.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I like the Camry too by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:44:11 AM EST
I've ridden in a couple and they ride quite nice, better than the Accord, but something about the exterior styling turns me off.

Ride. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:51:35 AM EST
The Mazda will be a firmer, more "sporty" ride, but well damped.  More like a European car.  The Accord is not as firm, feels a bit bigger.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco
Mazda 6 "me too" by lolwhat (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:00:28 AM EST
That's what I have now, with a V-6. Handling is fantastic. It can deal with in-town driving no problem, but when I need acceleration, it moves ass. Gas mileage? Not so good.

My parents' last two (three?) cars have been used Accords. Those fuckers don't break down, and they don't guzzle as much gas as the 6. I thought about getting one, but Teh Wyfe wanted something that didn't remind her of her age it wasn't very sporty.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.

I'm going for a 4 cylinder either way by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:16:47 AM EST
I've got no need for anything that makes me think I should be driving fast, I've already paid a royal ransom in speeding ticket fines over my driving career.

I didn't even know the Mazda 6 existed until the past few months. I started seeing more of them on the road and kept getting a "what the hell is that" kinda reaction, so I did some research on them.

--Your best pal Bob

I've always had a soft spot for Mazdas by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:02:59 AM EST
But I've driven one in ages. The last one I drove was a 323. For the size, that was a very slick car.

I am, however, on my third year of Passat ownership. One thing I can say is that in three years and almost 40k miles, I've yet to tire of driving the Passat.

Cicero, The Republic
You're a Passat guy?? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:01:53 AM EST
I had you figured for more of a 70's VW van kinda guy.

Did you buy it new? Which one do you have?

1997 ``old style'' VR6 by lm (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:27:45 AM EST
I bought it used off of a friend that needed to sell it in a hurry around the same time that I needed to buy a commuter car.

I didn't set out to buy a VW, but I just sort of ended up with two of them.

The other one, which is closer to your expectations, is a 1993 Eurovan which is an odd beast. It has an Audi straight 5 cylinder engine. Little known fact: VW minivans are the only minivans on the US market with a door tall enough so that it doesn't need to be modified when installing a wheel chair lift.

I also have a 1984 Ford F150. I should unload that. Ye Olde House of Doom is winding down and I don't have much need for a pickup truck anymore.

Cicero, The Republic
I've heard that about the Passats by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:27:16 AM EST
The Hondas aren't the cheapest car to maintain either, but luckily you don't need to do much to them if you get a good one, or so I hear.

I was thinking about getting the 1.8L  Passat if I go that route, which should get okay mileage, at least about the same as a Honda or Mazda with a 4 in it.

I forgot, I was also thinking about the Nissan Altima or Maxima too.

--Your best pal Bob

Bob, go for the Passat by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:14:33 AM EST
it's the truly Metrosexual choice.

Ya know.. by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:18:33 AM EST
You sure seem to know a lot about these metrosexual blokes...

cell phone by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:14:49 AM EST
I think most of them pull the time off the network these days. That's what mine does - I've never had a problem with it thankfully. Works fine across timezones too.

Everybody still hates me in this city and I hate everybody.

That's what I was thinking by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:20:52 AM EST
Mines spot on, according to Time dot gov anyways. Well, actually it's about 4 seconds slow, but I can deal with that.

I think I like using my phone more for the stopwatch and the clock than the actual phone part.

Yes by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:30:57 AM EST
Makes the fuckers a bitch to test time-expiry on in Foreign Climes.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Except by theantix (4.00 / 1) #41 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 04:04:27 PM EST
When you're using it as a clock but go out of a service area, some (crappy) phones will stop displaying the time.  This sucks if it's your main source of time information.

____________________________________
You sir, are worse than Hitler.
My Blackberry went dark in Au by cam (4.00 / 1) #42 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 04:55:30 PM EST
At first I thought Australia didnt have the internet yet but thankfully they were up to 36.6 baud last year.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Yay Jesus Finding America! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:36:06 AM EST
My 11 year old Honda Accord just keeps on running.  Regular maintenance is all I’ve needed for the last 3 years.  It will need new breaks sometime soon, but I'll be happy to pay for it based on the car's history with me.

My cell phone’s clock is controlled by some evil server as well.  I’ve found that I can speed up the time updates during the time changes by restarting the phone.

I keep waiting for you to say something about the Indians.  What the ** happened to the Cleveland Indians?
____

Hondas by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:00:27 AM EST
Mine is 18 years old and just keeps on running. It's been a few years since it was in the shop for anything but maintenance. It's never had a serious problem since I bought it new.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The problem with that age by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #27 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:26:41 AM EST
I'm not sure I'd like to drive a car on a regular basis that doesn't have airbags or ABS.

--Your best pal Bob

I'm not recommending the model year by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #40 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 10:51:47 AM EST
Just saying that the things never break.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
It's been a train wreck by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:11:34 AM EST
Baseball's a funny game, ya know. We get good hitting and the pitching sucks, we get good pitching and the hitting sucks, we get good pitching and good hitting and the defence sucks etc etc etc. That said, now that it's pretty much over I expect they'll start playing much better...

re: That's pretty much where I'm at (my car is actually 10 years old) in fact I just put some new front brakes on it last week. It still runs great so on that front there's no reason to get something newer, but it's at the age where anything can go wrong which kinda leaves me a bit uneasy when taking it for longer trips. Plus I'm tired of it and would like something a bit more modern I guess. I got my money out of it, that's for sure.

10 Years by duxup (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:48:42 AM EST
I understand where you’re coming from with the car being older.

I worried about the same thing and still do.  Yet I’m too much of a cheapskate to buy a newer car, too fearful of buying a bad car, and I’m really lazy.   So a new (new to me at least) car is not coming soon to me.
____

Armstrong a cheater? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 06:51:01 AM EST
While I wouldn't be surprised if he was, you should have noticed (in the article) that the court ruled for Armstrong - implying they didn't believe the woman.

In addition, the Doctor that Armstrong allegedly admitted this to has nothing in his records about it - and by the doctor's own testimony, that collection of medicines would have had a huge impact on Armstrong's recovery from cancer.

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

And yet.. by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:18:47 AM EST
One of his sponsors is withholding millions of dollars from him because of the claims. Seems it's not so cut and dried.

Besides, the doctor has the whole hypocritical oath thing to deal with, plus maybe he's pals with Lance.

No sir, all signs point to him being a big fat cheater.

--Your best pal Bob

Not any more they aren't. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:23:31 AM EST
From that very article - the court sided with Armstrong and awarded him the money.

Besides, this was all started by the French. Who believes anything they say, anyway?

Faith, and the possibility of weaponized kissing?

Like Virenque wasn't M. EPO by Herring (2.00 / 0) #35 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 09:49:22 AM EST
Le Tour hasn't been won by a Frenchman since .. oo probably Bernard the Badger. Or maybe Fignon. Actually I seem to recall Fignon being beaten by LeMond (USA) by about 8 seconds in 1989.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Darn.. I should start reading my own links by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:30:19 AM EST
Look, still, that proves nothing as the courts are wrong all the time.

Until he comes out and admits that's he's a cheater I'm not going to believe him.

Armstrong Hater by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:15:20 AM EST
You do realize that Armstrong haters are allied with the French.  And the French are cowardly freedom hating bastards.  You better watch out before you are sent for re-education.

---------------
Let the record show by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:20:53 AM EST
I'm not opposed to the French, unless they take performance enhancing drugs in order to win the World Series of Bicycles. In that case I'm against them.

--Your best pal Bob

Hondas are always good choices, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 07:49:48 AM EST
if a bit pricey and boring.  Mazda 6's are nice, and that Mazdaspeed version is pretty cool.  Mazdas in general seem to be good cars.  Plus you can get HID headlights!

Acura has the TSX, which is pretty nice.  Also, the Acura TL is the same as the Accord in the UK, mostly.  The TL is an awfully nice car, but pricey.

Me, I'd get the Mazdaspeed 6.
---------------------------------
Taken out of context I must seem so strange - Ani DiFranco

Yeah by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 2) #25 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:16:18 AM EST
I was just kidding about never having a Honda Accord, I've actually had three of them. They are boring, and not cheap, but my experience has been that they are a great value. And really they're not that pricey, considering they generally hold a pretty decent resale value.

Here's a couple from the Sunday paper:

2004 Accord Ex 2dr loaded: 16,995
2004 EXi coupe, leather moonroof, loaded: 17,900

Those are at dealerships too, so you could likely get them cheaper. Still, that's about the price range I'd like to be in. Not sure what that buys you wrt an Acura. Course there's insurance to think about too.

Ohhh. here's a 2004 Lexus ES300 for 27,900! That would attract the superficial babes for sure!

--Your best pal Bob

The new Passat is basically an Audio A6 by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #30 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:41:10 AM EST
A TDi with the 6 speed box will return FREEDEMOCRACY miles to the gallon, the parts are cheaper than the old model, and those electrical problems that you Colonials seem obsessed with are probably a GM/Ford astroturfing meme because they've got shit all else to hold against VWs; Mercs and BMWs have, according to my Agents, worse problems.  Plus, it's even got a cooled glovebox, great for storing organs in.

If you can't spring for something really nice, like an imported Rover 75, then a new model Passat is the smart choice.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Get Out! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #32 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:51:00 AM EST
That Rover 75 is a fine looking carriage! Shame about the whole steering wheel thing though.

Yeah, those Audi A6's give me a big hardon too, but the Passat is cheaper, although not quite the same babe-magnet, no doubt.

I'm still not sold on the German engineering when compared to the Japs. How many German radios have you seen in the store eh? QED.

--Your best pal Bob

Helm. We call(*) it the helm. by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #33 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 08:57:26 AM EST
Just change the badge on the Passat; it's not like you want to be attracting bull-dykes who know shit about cars or anything.

Blaupunkt.  That's what you'll be getting in your Passat.  How many cheap Kraut radios have you seen in the store?

(*) Called it.  I'm getting all teary now.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Not an insurmountable problem. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #34 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 09:46:31 AM EST
This is not just a mirror image.

Also, I have to say the Blaupunkt stereo in my car is coniderably better than the one in my parents' knackered old Hyundai. QED.

quality German engineering by lm (4.00 / 1) #38 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 10:18:21 AM EST
As the owner of two VWs, I can well attest that VW has some issues with quality control on electronic components. It could very well be that Mercedes and BMW have more problems, but I've never owned any cars put out by those two manufacturers.

For example, whoever designed the power window system for the '93 Eurovan decided that there would never be a need to operate both passanger and driver side windows at the same time. Only one window may be operated at a time.

I will concede that things are no where near as bad as they used to be. Back in the eighties, my sister's Jetta spontaneously combusted from a short in the electrical system.

But I agree that the VW TDI is one sweet little internal combustion engine.

Cicero, The Republic
+1, VW by barooo (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 09:55:33 AM EST

-1 to VW of America for lack of options I want.  If they made at Passat TDI with a manual transmission, I'd ditch the Jetta TDI for it, but the only TDI option in the passat is the tiptronic auto.  This may have changed with the CamryNew Passat, but I don't like the body style on those so much.

But I've never had a car that I liked as much as this one.  The only major problem I've had was with the variable vane actuator on the turbo getting stuck, but rather than just cleaning the vanes so they didn't stick, they just replaced the whole turbo, which I cannot complain about.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
maco polio by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #37 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 10:01:00 AM EST
Gotta stick with swimmer and NBA player.. Your own admissions, you ain't the tallest guy around, IIRC, and, well, swimmers are tall and slender as well.. Not quite fitting the bill..

Looking for a new ride, eh ? I have a VERY low mileage vehicle if you're interested. Odometer reads about 85 miles now.

Longest yard, the classic one with tom selleck is  quite the riot. Or was that burt renoylds ? Hell, couldn't keep those hairy, mustachioed guys apart. Which one was Magnum PI and which one was Crockett ?

I'd invite you to our cookout on the 3rd, but you probably wouldn't be in town.

HA! Wrong on both counts there Wagon boy! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #39 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 10:49:35 AM EST
They thought I looked like Danny in the face, not the height, cause yeah, I'm only like 4 feet tall.

Also, I was asked if I was a swimmer by this neighbour lady back when I was in college, cause of my impressive pecs. I think she was hitting on me but she was an old hag (she had to be at least 30 years old) and not my type.

--Your best pal Bob

in a few days by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #43 Wed Jun 28, 2006 at 09:10:57 PM EST
i'll have something to show you. it'll give you warm fuzzies, i guarantee it!
---------
Dance On, Gir!
Finally! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #44 Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 03:42:38 AM EST
That hot nude photo you've been promising to send me for the past 4 years???

Wooo!

not quite by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #45 Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 11:56:10 AM EST
besides, if i sent you that, "warm fuzzies" is not the feeling you'd have.
---------