Print Story I'm Surrounded by Idiots
By JrSysAdmin (Tue May 09, 2006 at 02:47:51 AM EST) (all tags)
Bedside Manner

If doctors took care of their patients the way they want me to take care of their computers, we'd all be doomed.

The network in the doctor's office where I work is pretty big--it stretches all the way from the far end of the building to here in the office where I sit. (It's so far, in fact, that I had to add a third computer to the network right in the middle so the data could make it all the way.) One of the requirements for the network is that we be able to check our shared Yahoo email account, a requirement I was able to meet after a few months of research and software configuration. *bows*

Then the lead partner in the practice asked me to create a second email account that they would use for business orders. OK, that's not too unreasonable, though I had to reprioritize some other tasks to schedule it in.

When I finally finished, it was around 10 am on a Wednesday. I asked the receptionist to go to the other end of the building so we could reboot the entire network at the same time. The lead partner happened to overhear me and asked what I was doing.

Me: Rebooting the network.
LP: Why?
Me: To finalize the settings on that new Yahoo email address.
LP: Why do you have to reboot?
Me: Uhh...because we changed settings.
LP: But aren't those settings on the Internet?
Me: Any time the network changes the server has to be rebooted.
LP: But the network didn't change.
Me: We just added an email address.
LP: OK, fine. Could you at least reboot it when we aren't so busy?

Why must these fucktards constantly be second-guessing me?

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I'm Surrounded by Idiots | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)
What else is on this network? by nebbish (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:01:34 AM EST
With them being doctors, he might not want to reboot the machine that goes ping! halfway through an operation.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Man! That is ridiculous! by Imperial Mince (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:45:45 AM EST
You should quit, it sounds like your working conditions are intolerable.
This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
Liar, liar by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue May 09, 2006 at 04:47:36 AM EST
You previously owned up to installing Lunix.  You don't have to install a new kernel to read Yahoo! mail on Lunix - as we all know, Lunix can't be used to access proprietary systems like Yahoo!'s[1].

[1] Yahoo!'s, Yahoo's!, Yahoo!s?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Hmmmm ... by Improbus (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 09, 2006 at 07:30:20 AM EST
I smell a troll.

If you immediately know the candlelight is fire, the meal was cooked a long time ago. --- Oma Desala
Yahoo!'s, surely by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed May 10, 2006 at 12:37:06 PM EST
Their name is "Yahoo!", therefore... they have a stupid name.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.
ERROR #63 by The Fool (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 09, 2006 at 06:00:10 AM EST
Bit bucket full. Please empty.

ISTM by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 09, 2006 at 08:05:25 AM EST
ISTM that not rebooting during normal operating hours unless it is utterly unavoidable is standard expected sysadmin behavior.
wtf by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue May 09, 2006 at 05:16:21 PM EST

Christ, I really, really hope you're being sarcastic (or a "7 on Your Side" reporter posing as an IT guy) because that sentence is just so painful to read on many levels.

I'm Surrounded by Idiots | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)