Print Story a snippet of courier life
Cycling
By 256 (Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 01:07:41 PM EST) vagina full of centipedes, and on fire, too, for that matter (all tags)
today i delivered a package to a building that was on fire.

I rolled up to 365 Parliament St. at about 4 pm. Alarms and claxons were freaking out in the lobby. looking up, i could see a small wisp of smoke coming out of a sixth story window.

there were a small group of residents standing outside in the light rain. I approached them and asked: "Are any of you Mr. [redacted]?"

they all shook their heads and muttered negative noises. i looked at the package and saw that the destination was a first floor suite. the security doors were propped open; because of the fire, i presume.

i went in, and walked down to suite 109. An older gentleman answered my knock.

"mr. [redacted]?" I asked loudly, to be heard over the alarm.

"yes?"

"i believe your building is on fire."

"actually on fire?"

"well, the top of it anyway."

"hmph" he hmphed.

I held up the package: "can you sign for this?"

and so he did, and then retreated back into his apartment.

the firetrucks pulled up just as i was rolling away towards my next call.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
a snippet of courier life | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
You should have taken a smoke break by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 02:14:16 PM EST
SMOKE BREAK, geddit??

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
Attention 256 infidel by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 03:01:19 PM EST
Czech yuor emale, plzthx.

Can you introspect out loud? --CRwM

I worked at an office in the US by cam (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 04:57:42 PM EST
that had a fire-drill where they set off all the alarms and everyone had to vacate the office. It was nearly lunch so we decided to go for an early lunch - except - I kid you not - this bunch of people decided to have a fucking prayer circle in the parking lot. They were all praying right in-front of my goddamn car. I was boxed in and did not get to go to lunch early despite starting my car up and revving it.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

You should have just backed up. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #4 Fri Apr 07, 2006 at 06:50:23 PM EST
Jesus will know His own.

Only in America by komet (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 12:36:34 AM EST
I've never driven to lunch in my entire working life.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
ditto by 256 (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 05:37:52 AM EST
though i have driven to girls while on lunch
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Walk? by cam (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 05:51:55 AM EST
What do think I am? Communist?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Starting up and revving it? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 08:15:20 AM EST
What happened to telling them they needed to move? Possibly without mentioning that they were being assholes.

They love god by cam (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 09:58:36 AM EST
and were talking in tongues.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Your title is wrong by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Apr 08, 2006 at 01:58:44 PM EST
They love being self important assholes. I see your point now.

a snippet of courier life | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)