Print Story Dear HuSi,
Music
By Driusan (Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:15:23 AM EST) music, vagina full of centipedes, is the new, fun loving cowwqas. (all tags)
I need music. Music that doesn't suck. Good music, one might even say.

You should totally tell me what to listen to.

Pretentious indie music is prefered, but anything good will do.
< Noir rmg Laundry Day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Dear HuSi, | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden)
blackalicious by alprazolam (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:17:30 AM EST
and matisyahu if you're interested in something different.

oh and of course talib kwali.

I was going to mock you.. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:23:36 AM EST
..just on the assumption that anything named Blackalicious must suck, on general principal. Then the first song when I tried searching for some claimed to be featuring Zach De La Rocha. Son'v'a..

Vive le Montréal libre.
I'm too old for this shit. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:23:35 AM EST
That's why I leave it up to the wankersprofessionals.

I'm unsure how to feel about that statement. by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:26:06 AM EST
I figure wankers would know a thing or two about pretentious indie music.. but professionals? What the hell would they know?

Vive le Montréal libre.
Dude, that's *totally* recursive. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #8 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:34:00 AM EST

Pretentious Indie: by edward (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:27:41 AM EST
The Mountain Goats
The Shins
The Fiery Furnaces
The Strokes
XTC
Ted Leo/Pharmacists
YOU SAY PARTY, WE SAY DIE!
The Yoko Casionos
Anything they play here: http://radio3.cbc.ca/

Please note not all will be good; but pretentious? You bet.

a+++++ the mountain goats by 256 (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:31:55 AM EST
i heartily endorse
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
That reminds me. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:37:14 AM EST
I suspect that the, uh, mailman, may have delivered the Shawshack residents some mail yesterday.

Seeing your name reminds me, I mean. Not mountain goats.

Vive le Montréal libre.

your letters were received. by 256 (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:39:30 AM EST
there was much rejoicing.

want to come over for hockey and whatnot on monday evening?
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Monday sounds good. by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:48:11 AM EST
Just give me a time to show up.

Were you Caving afterwards? If so, I'll probably pass on that part so I can take the frame home.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Sweet. by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 10:32:34 AM EST
The Fiery Furnaces were actually one of the artists I specificly had in mind when I wrote that, so I'll check out the rest.

Vive le Montréal libre.
I hated the Fiery Furnaces by MisterQueue (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 06:35:56 PM EST
until their most recent album. Those last two tracks are basically like treasure.

------------
"I always percieved the Q to be more about laughing at sadness, not laughing per se." -infinitera

Wolfmother. by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 11:16:41 AM EST
I also second the Matisyahu reccomendation above.  His live stuff is incredible.

An oldie but a goodie by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #13 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 11:54:26 AM EST
"Blue" by LaTour, from the Basic Instinct soundtrack.

Muzak by LinDze (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 01:11:52 PM EST
I second Blackalicious, and will raise you Akrobatik, & Mr Lif.

Also check Black Mountain, Brandi Carlile, Kaada, Orange Goblin, The Warmers, & The Evens.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

if you're seconding blackalicious by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 09:06:16 AM EST
i assume you'll be going to see common and lyrics born at coachella?
I would assume so by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Apr 26, 2006 at 10:25:15 AM EST
but i still dont have an itinerary yet!

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
... hesitation, then confession by misslake (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 01:45:09 PM EST
once upon a time i had punk rock fame and notoriety. before 256 had smut, i had my own awesome band. it was a band that started as a sort of bad joke, but took on a life of its own. well, less of a punk band and more of a delusion of grandeur.
anyway, we had FANS. amongst those fans were a really neat band who also started out as a kind of joke, then descended into a sort of punk rock cult of the bizarre. it's not pretentious indy music, at least not the kind that skinny hipsters listen to. but it is independent, and it has a special place in my heart. lots of really nerdy content, role playing references, love songs about math, old horror books,  and obscure comic books.
it's good.
it is the darkest of the hillside thickets.

A+++++ gratuitious Lovecraft references by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 01:58:07 PM EST
Would try (and fail) to steal again.

Vive le Montréal libre.
music by sobeinom (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 04:47:05 PM EST
Anywhere I can find your old "delusion of grandeur" music?  Wouldnt mind listening to it sometime and seeing how it was/is.

I've just been listening to Octane radio which has good music must of the time, but it's pretty repetitive and doesnt play much of the punkish style.

And seeing as how your stuff is done with I assume it won't go mainstream pissing me off.

• "As for the above statement, I'll ignore it just for my well being."
  • misslake's old band never got around to making by 256 (4.00 / 1) #18 Sat Apr 22, 2006 at 06:03:14 PM EST
    "recordings".

they were too busy keeping it real.

SMUT (my band), on the other hand, has a respectable repertoire of downloadable punk available here.
    I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

wow. i can't believe all this is still out there by misslake (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 01:47:17 PM EST
    go internet!
    the officail site:

and the fan collaborative:

as 256 said, there are no surviving recordings. and some of the links on the pages are now dead. but there it is.

I'm not sure what your styling are. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 07:49:56 AM EST
    You could always go to Pandora, type in a band you like, and start looking up the songs it presents you that you like.

You have, undoubtedly, heard of Grandaddy, Fiery Furnaces, Wilco [the early stuff!], certain points in the career of David Bowie, Olivia Tremor Control/Apples in Stereo/Of Montreal etc. So I will mention some more obscure musical selections which I usually recommend whenever anybody asks for something that will be enlightening and, I think, not altogether unpleasant. I haven't been listening to anything new lately, unfortunately, because my sources of free music are over.

-Doktor Kosmos, who was the keyboardist for Komeda but really produced better solo work. I'm not sure about his latest, so go for some older stuff like Reportage!.
    -Acetone.
    -Apparat Organ Quartet. I have been criminally negligent in that I haven't checked out the rest of Johann Johannsson's projects, but I think he also would be a good listen.
    -Jonathan Richman. "I was dancing at the lesbian bar. Oh! Oh! Oh!"
    -Songs: Ohia.
    -Holly Golightly.
    -Dengue Fever.

thanks by sobeinom (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Apr 23, 2006 at 05:09:25 PM EST
    for sending the links

• "As for the above statement, I'll ignore it just for my well being."
  • I've been listening to a lot of gaelic storm. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Apr 25, 2006 at 12:59:08 PM EST

Dear HuSi, | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden)