Print Story Ah, dunno
By Herring (Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:33:36 AM EST) (all tags)
Someone else leaving LCC. That makes 6 out of a development team of 20 in the last month.

Met Angry Colleague from LCC today as I was heading out to lunch. He was off on holiday - having got word of the latest holiday ban in time to book some time off. He's intending to pop in the office Thursday in order to resign. Then we'll probably go for a beer.

LCC is doing fucking awful at staff retention amongst the developers. They haven't figured out that the following strategies don't help:

1. Telling newbies their job is on the line if they fail to meet atbitrary deadline (decided before they joined and without reference to feasibility or estimates)
  2. Instituting holiday bans until the end of September
  3. Not paying sick leave in the first six months
  4. Not training people on stuff they have to do to meet deadlines
Angry Colleague can't understand why I don't mind it there. I explain it's because, however bad it is, it's 82 times better than Crap Corp.

I still feel fairly relaxed - I'm hitting deadlines without having to work unduly hard or anything. I know the project is doomed and I really ought to be looking for a proper job, but I'm not hurrying.

Ow. I ache like anything after yesterday's wakeboarding. Cold water plus extreme unfitness = muscle soreness.

My brother is visiting overnight tonight. About to cook some sort of vegetarian pasta thing.

< Sad news New York drivers | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ah, dunno | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)
WIPO by stark (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:53:20 AM EST
Forgetting my umbrella and it raining on the way home from work.

Of course, little danger of that as I live in Thames Water territory.

I think I should build up my fears and worries list a bit more; perhaps News at Ten followed by Newsnight (followed by the health pages of the Daily Mail) should do the job.

U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

Hurray!!! by calla (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:55:39 AM EST
vegetarian pasta thing - sounds like a good plan for dinner.

Cold water plus extreme unfitness by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:00:45 AM EST
Heh. In a copule of weeks I'm going to pick up a surfboard and then hit the beach to start learning surfing. Even with a wetsuit, 50° is cold.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Be punctual by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:07:52 AM EST
If your weeks copule late, then you're screwed, apparently.

Oh, and I'm jealous. I want your life.

To have my life by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:12:27 AM EST
you have to not drink, among other things...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Despite appearances, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:45:23 AM EST
not drinking would be a pretty small deal for me.

I didn't finish the small glass of sherry I was given on Saturday, and can't remember drinking anything else in ages.

But my original remark was flippant of course. I meant "to be able to go to the beach all weekend. Especially a hot beach."

Don't you have by Dr Thrustgood (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 11:00:02 AM EST
to be a long-haired hippie as well? :p

no, no by martingale (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:53:45 PM EST
copulating is for everybody.
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
couple of weeks late ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:14:42 AM EST
Better get the EPT too..

Good point, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:46:54 AM EST
although there'd be no harm in getting a few baby weeks into my life. Baby people, I'd like to be better prepared for, but baby weeks, I think that sounds like fun.

Girl by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 12:31:17 PM EST
My last wakeboarding session of last year, air temp was 2 (35 in old money) and water temp was about the same. I didn't enjoy it that much though.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

That attitude lasted about four years for me by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 09:29:46 AM EST
At my last gig it took about four years for how much better it was than the previous position to wear off and for me to start looking for something else. I hope you get at least as long of a bounce.

Cicero, The Republic
Hm by komet (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 11:43:40 AM EST
is 3) legal? Under a "Labour" Goverment? I'm surprised.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I'm not sure that it is by Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 01:48:25 PM EST
Statutory sick pay was the first thing that came to my mind:

You must have worked for your employer under a contract of service. Even if you it is your first day of work with a new employer and you become sick part way through the day you may be entitled to SSP.

Disclaimer: I don't even try to pretend to be a lawyer, I'm just some guy armed with google.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

eww! by martingale (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Apr 10, 2006 at 08:55:39 PM EST
You got googles! Cloaked Use got googles! Cloaked Use got googles!
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Bah by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 12:47:01 AM EST
Reminded me about my vegetarian sister and brother-in-law coming to stay. I need some vegetarian recipes, last time they were here all I could do them was reheated quiche.

Might put out a request for advice in a diary nearer the time, but giz your recipe pls if it's not a secret or anything.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Sounds like a lot of bother by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #17 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 01:24:16 AM EST
Can't you just throw some lettuce and uncooked rice on the floor and let them get on with it like their heroes, the llamas?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Went to a Chinese restaurant with them once by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 01:38:59 AM EST
And just about stifled my laughter when they were served sweetcorn wrapped in a lettuce leaf.

Actually, I might just go down the Turkish restaurant route - "There's only a little bit of meat in it" "chicken isn't meat, what are you talking about?" "You'll hardly taste it with this sauce"

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

good save! by martingale (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 02:32:36 AM EST
Somehow, I just know your first impulse was to write "like rabbits" :) Good save!
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
Well, by Herring (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 08:14:58 AM EST
I have an awful lot of Very Interesting Things to Say so I may post a fascianting diary later including recipe.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Ah, dunno | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)