Print Story #69
By MillMan (Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 03:12:15 PM EST) attention London infidels, Iraq civil war, Kirby Puckett (all tags)
TAGS ^^^

attention London infidels
I will be in town from March 18-25.

I'll work up my itinerary over the next week or so. Per day it won't be much more detailed than "visit Trafalgar square and wander around" but I do need at least that. Say, is there some website that details all the club /concert goings on in London?

Iraq civil war
Finally, Rummy is starting to adopt my rhetoric! He's not quite there yet, as he can't drop the utopian vision we were sold three years ago:

There's always been a potential for a civil war. That country was held together through a repressive regime that put hundreds of thousands of human beings into mass graves.

Now that the fantasy of a secular and democratic Iraq is fading away, the "expectations management" is underway. If Bush wants support for the war to go on much longer, he better hope for some sort of oil shock - a fundamental threat to American lifestyles is the only cheap shot emotional bait Bush has left. A quick mission shift to defense of the oil fields and infrastructure will be labeled as "a matter of grave national security" - and given the all too human shortsightedness of American policymaking, that will be an accurate statement. Rummy will say "because of Iran and other terrorists, our plans for Iraq have failed. And we were really there to protect the oil all along." That last statement will be included if gas is up around $5 a gallon.

Kirby Puckett
It's all been said, so I'll just add that his performance in game 6 of the 91 series followed by Jack Morris' performance in game 7 stand as the best back to back individual performances in world series history.

< Do you miss me when I'm gone? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
#69 | 41 comments (41 topical, 0 hidden)
I thought it was more Orwellian than management by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 03:19:53 PM EST
I've been hearing "sectarian violence" for a couple weeks but only when Rumsfeld denied it was a civil war did I really think it had arrived. In fact, I believe his exact words were "It's not a civil war and if it is the media is to blame". Now is not the time for the blame game, Heckuvarummy.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
well by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 03:40:19 PM EST
they've all repeated the same line for three years now - "everything is moving in the right direction, pitfalls are only a mirage created by the media." But yeah, political denials are usually a pretty good indicator of reality.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

Howard Meyerson put in a vote for Eurasia by cam (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 04:03:07 PM EST
in the WaPo when he said Iraq had really been in civil war for the last thirty years.

Fucktards.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

awesome by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 04:14:48 PM EST
that is all.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

Found link by cam (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:41:17 PM EST
here. Money quote;

We have always been at war with eurasiaIraq has endured civil war for 30 years. It has not suited Western policymakers or the media to call it that, nor to face up to the implications of the appalling sectarian violence and ethnic cleansing that this long conflict has generated. That must change.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Not so by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:54:13 AM EST
They've had to keep turning corners to keep moving in the right direction.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
yay! by martingale (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 03:52:05 PM EST
Come back Rummy! All is forgiven! Quick, Lassie, help Rummy aboard before the big bad DemocriRaqis get him!
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
back to what? by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 04:09:07 PM EST
the pharmaceutical industry?

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

the first rule by martingale (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 07:40:27 PM EST
of the pharmaceutical industry is: you do NOT talk about the pharmaceutical industry. The second rule...
$E(X_t|F_s) = X_s,\quad t > s$
magazine, not website by garlic (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:16:24 PM EST
timeout london is the name of it I believe.

haha by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 05:18:37 PM EST
if it isn't on the web, it doesn't actually exist.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

yeah. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 06:25:58 PM EST
this is why I never ended up actually reading a copy.

GIYF by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 09:01:24 PM EST
Link
On your phone... by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #29 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 06:10:06 AM EST

http://rpnow.com/knowledge can be worth a look, and not just for London.

Disclaimer: I wrote a chunk of it.

While you're looking at musical happenings... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 07:06:58 PM EST
...see if you find anything about L-Town hip hop. When we go, Welsh Girl wants to see one and I have no clue where to look since I was more interested in the art and history than the music.

Also remember that the National Gallery is on Trafalgar Square and that Parliament/Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace are each 15-20 minutes away on foot. Also, DO NOT miss The Victoria and Albert or the Science Museum in Kensington. They're across the street from each other so there's no excuse... You might want to catch the Natural History Museum around the corner, too...

And don't forget the graffiti check. In fact, you should add to it...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Walking by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:57:11 AM EST
A good way to see any city IMHO. You need reminding in London though because the tube is so handy.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

The first few days I walked everywhere... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:08:43 AM EST
...after that, I tubed a lot more, especially since the farther out areas weren't gonna happen if it was on foot (Kensington). On the other hand, the walk from New Cross Station to Greenwich Observatory was...interesting. It was kinda neat staring down the locals.

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Heh by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:27:55 AM EST
Used to live there and do that most days :-) Maybe you stared me down?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Aren't you a bit intimidating looking in person? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:46:24 AM EST

Can be by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:54:09 AM EST
Big and tall, but I'm a softy underneath it all and hopefully people can see that

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Perhaps... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:47:09 AM EST
Where were you on or about April 4th, 2005?

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

I'd moved away from the area by then by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:53:15 AM EST
Still, I'm impressed at you staring people down round there, I used to look at the ground for safety's sake.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I, sir, am afraid of no man... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #27 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 04:11:39 AM EST
...and very few women. You see, my bravado comes from a number of sources. You see, I'm:

1. Ex-Army
2. Ex-Bouncer
3. From Texas
4. 250lbs (12.5 stone for those so inclined)

In short, I'm prepared and, in fact, quite happy to scowl at locals as a form of multicultural exchange.

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

18 stone, actually. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 07:23:28 AM EST
I'm quaking with fear as I dare to correct you, your benevolent emperorship.

Fear will keep them in line... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:12:10 PM EST
I thought a "stone" was 20 lbs.? Oh, well, I don't feel like ordering it changed so we'll go with that.

Correction: 18 stone...

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

1 stone is 14 pounds. by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 05:51:38 AM EST
1 pound is 16 ounces.

Metric is so much easier.

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Easier perhaps... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #37 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 11:48:56 AM EST
...but nowhere near as cool!

Have you seen The Passion yet? Here's a spoiler for you: Jesus dies.
"...compassion is more than a 16 point word in scrabble." - MostlyHarmless

Kirby by duxup (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 07:59:25 PM EST
* tear *
____
I suggest by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 07, 2006 at 11:58:52 PM EST
You flag it up in your intro everyday for the next week that you're coming to London as otherwise people forget and you'll have no one coming.

Are you suggesting... by motty (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:15:52 AM EST
.. we have short term memory um. What are we talking about again?

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Down by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:53:28 AM EST
Down to $5 a gallon, please.

How many bumper stickers did it take to bring Rummy round to your point of view?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

What he said by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 03:17:00 AM EST
It's about $8/gallon here.

Not factoring in the weird, minor but important difference between US and Imperial measurements

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
the other minor point by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:08:28 PM EST
The island you live on is about the size of the city I live in.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

Still, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 01:26:36 PM EST
we all end up with the same fuel cost per mile, so everyone's happy. (UKish cars go about 2/3rds as far as USish cars, on average.)

Not in my case by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #34 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:21:13 PM EST
90 miles/weekday minimum
200 miles+ at weekends
=650 miles/week
=31000 miles/year (assuming 48 weeks to give a little slack)

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Yeah by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 12:26:33 AM EST
My commute's a 100 mile round trip, too. Still, it only costs me £8 in fuel, which is the point I was making.

Having achieved diary #69 by calla (4.00 / 1) #28 Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 04:46:18 AM EST
shouldn't you be getting some action?

I KNEW I liked you, Calla! by molasses (4.00 / 1) #38 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 02:34:51 PM EST
I, too thought about the 69 thing.

sad that no one else does.  heh.

And so she appears!!! by calla (2.00 / 0) #39 Mon Mar 13, 2006 at 05:01:54 PM EST
I was thinking of you today. I could use some friends like you here to party with.

Next time we go out - how 'bout I call you?

HI! by molasses (4.00 / 1) #41 Wed Mar 15, 2006 at 03:31:41 AM EST
I'm out here reading. things are kinda crazy.  am trying to find time to write.  will promise to do it this weekend (nobody reads on weekends anyway) or before that.

yeah, i need some more girlfriends.  i'm getting sick of Rizzo's (very cute in the morning) face!  LOL!

oh I thought about it by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #40 Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 01:52:16 PM EST
I think about sex all day long, really. Just no reason to put it all in here.

I never really considered face-to-face contact a possible thing. -CRwM

#69 | 41 comments (41 topical, 0 hidden)