Print Story Where's the damn clipper???
Wizards and Hobbits
By Bob Abooey (Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 08:35:45 AM EST) Super High Tech Jet Fighters (all tags)
The B.A.D.TM

Blogging for the children...

Anybody still doubt the Bush will go down in history as one of the worst Presidents of all time? Anyone? Anyone? What positive effects will his legacy leave? What good has he done? Good for the environment - nope. How about social change for the better - uh, nope. Has he advanced the sciences in any meaningful way - nope. How about education - no siree bob. Okay then, how about his foreign policy - heh... Alright you say, how about his war on terror, that's surely been good for the US and the world at large, right??? Right??

I would like to offer my heartfelt congratulations to Mary Cheney, the daughter of Dr. No Vice President Dick homophobe Cheney, for the announcement of her soon to be born baby!! Well done old girl! Anyone taking odds on whether she got sperm via a syringe or some dude's sausage? I've got 20 bucks on the sausage.

Clipper clipper clipper. They've been talking on the news about this Alberta Clipper that's supposed to drop 800 feet of snow on us with hail the size of canned ham and all that, so, WHERE'S THE GOD DAMNED CLIPPER? How can weathermen get it so wrong. Oh sure, it's about 20 below out there, but I'm looking out the window and I don't see no clipper. In fact I don't see no squall, I don't even see no flurries.

Speaking of flurries, I'm about 700 pages into the Count of Monte Cristo and am pleasantly surprised. It's really quite good, very good in fact. It's basically one giant soap-opera, but it's a fun story and I can't wait to see how it all ends. Right now the Count has just made it to California and he's trying to get a job as a grape picker but having a hard time, so he's thinking about taking a job on a whaling ship. Boy, what a story! I may try to finish it this weekend, especially if this fucking clipper ever shows up. Anyways, if you're too much of a wuss to read it cause it's like 18 thousand pages long then shame on you. Indeed.

Right. Back to the grindstone!

< I love Party Girl. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Where's the damn clipper??? | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden)
Bob, by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 08:39:13 AM EST
what about No Child Left Behind ? I mean, c'mon, or the Medicare Perscription drug coverage, that came in far under the dire budgetary warnings that were issued.. If those aren't legacies, I dunno what is.

And snow, or no snow, I still see the cleveburgh fudgesicles losing to the stillers tonight.

Maybe the count could go to England and work at a boy's school, eh ?

Don't give the plot away dammit! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 08:55:28 AM EST
Actually I looked ahead and I already knew that he went to work for a boys school in the UK, so nice try anway. Of course he doesn't stay there as he goes on to fight for the fascists in the Spanish civil war later in the book.

re: Oh yeah, our on crack QB is out for the game so the Browns have nary a chance against the heinous smelly Pukesburgh Stillers. Alas it matters not as we're playing for a decent draft pick at this stage of the game. I don't plan on watching the game anyways, I'm going to call it an early night and get some sleep tonight.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Back then, writers wrote for food money by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 08:44:05 AM EST
if they couldn't crank out captivating chapters, they'd starve, so they throw lots of cliffhangers in, and move the plot right along. None of this pomo bs where you have pages and pages of descriptions of  waking up.

Put me down for the turkey baster vote.

Dumas does a right good job of it by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 08:49:54 AM EST
He's quite good with the cliffhangers. I find myself having to read "just one more" chapter, again and again while staying up half the night. Crikey, I haven't done that since my Civilisation Call-To-Power days.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Have you heard the good news? by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 01:55:32 PM EST
Sid Meier, peace be upon him, hath sent us a new Doctrine of Conquest known to the faithul as Civ4.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
Heh by barooo (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 09:55:50 AM EST
I'm reading Infinite Jest right now.  It's kind of the opposite of plot-driven.  Any plot is sort of a summation of limit of inifinitesimally small plot points as they approach zero, each one reduced to absurdity and introduced to further the theme or something, not the plot.  Despite all that, I'm really enjoying it.  Hell, my favorite part so far is the endnote listing James O. Incandenza's filmography.  I'm about 250 pages in, I think I have like 700 left.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
positive effects will his legacy leave by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 09:00:44 AM EST
Well, he's given the Dems a majority in Congress and a Dem will be in the White House after the next election. Well, unless they nominate some Northeastern Establishment Liberal type like Dean or Kerrey who couldn't win if he was running against the Devil Incarnate. Which, historically, is entirely likely.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

or better yet if they nominate by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 09:50:41 AM EST
you know who.

hint: her initials are hillary clinton.

She could win by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 09:55:31 AM EST
Sure, none of the South will vote for her, but if the Dems take the rest of the country (especially the intermountain west) that won't matter.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

she will never win by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 10:45:49 AM EST
she won't get a single vote in the south or midwest.

Not true by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 10:56:14 AM EST
I'm in the midwest (technically) and I'd vote for her, depending on who she's running against of course.

She'd get lots of womens to vote for her just because she's a girl, I wouldn't underestimate that.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

not true by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 05:19:49 AM EST
many women see her as an enabler and all-around bad representative for our sex.

Discounting hard core republicans of course by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 06:06:02 AM EST
And people who believed all the crap that was written about her and Bill.

I'm guessing the fact that she'll be the first woman to run for President will count for quite a bit and more than offset the anti-Clinton brigade. I know one thing for sure, it'll be a wild ride. The right-wing hate machine is likely already raising funds and getting ready for an all out assault!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

i believe by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 06:17:03 AM EST
the '08 election will be like the '00 one - all candidates will suck, so you have to vote for which one you think sucks less.

America loses again!

You're probably right by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 06:24:52 AM EST
It's all about money these days so whoever has the cash and the connections gets a shot.

That said, I'm rather naive and I still hold out hope. Of course I still hold out hope for getting together with Susie Rivers, that cute girl from the 5th grade that I had a massive crush on, so I'm not the best bellwether for some things.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

if that's the case, hillary has a great shot by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 08:25:13 AM EST
since apparently she doesn't suck enough.

Ghetto 7! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 08:35:35 AM EST

She doesn't /need/ the South by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 03:05:23 AM EST
and probably not all the MidWest.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Bob by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Dec 07, 2006 at 05:04:48 PM EST
My tases went down each year he was in office.  That's what history will know.  No new taxes.

Blizzard of Death '06
Right by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 04:53:53 AM EST
He gave massive tax breaks to the wealthy and marginal tax breaks to the middle class which, coupled with new, out of control government spending increases, has created a massive deficit. Check.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

so by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 08:10:36 AM EST
more tax breaks for the middle clas and less for the rich will reduce the deficit?

Blizzard of Death '06
Right away with the Straw Man argument by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 08:27:11 AM EST
Actually I'm for less taxes and even less government spending. You know, small government, sort of like what the Olden Days Republicans used to stand for.

But that's a moot point as we're talking about what's been done over the past 6 years.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

I'm sorry Bob by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #23 Sat Dec 09, 2006 at 12:51:30 PM EST
I too am a less gov't less taxes kinda dude.  Hopefully the GOP gets this point right or I may have to keep votin for Dems.

Blizzard of Death '06
Bush: The Greatest President by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Dec 12, 2006 at 03:23:36 AM EST
Did you already forget the income tax rebate check you got back in 2002?

---------------
Where's the damn clipper??? | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden)