Print Story And there goes another one. @ . * . ! . ? . %.......
Husi Stock
By purr (Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 01:00:39 PM EST) (all tags)
I swear I am not on drugs.  Unless you count the daily medication my doctor requires me to take.

Sorry about my last post a while back.  I am much better now.  No more ranting about things in this post (well that might be asking a bit much.  I will keep it down to a minimum).

I got hooked on to a new author.  I guess you could call me a book reading junkie.  Can't seem to help myself because it does relieve my stress levels some.  My new favorite author is Mary Janice Davidson and her "Undead" books.  Great stuff.  Really humorous.  I would recommend it to anyone to read.  Though it is listed as a romance book, it is really lite on the romance and heavy on the Betsy, the Vampire Queen business.  So if you like the supernatural like me then try reading one of these books; Undead and Unwed, Undead and Unemployed, Undead and Unappreciated, Undead and Unreturnable, Undead and Unpopular. Real LOL!!!!!  And then tell me what you thought of the book (kind of like a book club, hee hee).

ooh that was kind of creepy.

So Halloween is coming up on us.  Is Halloween (trick or treatin') celebrated in England?  Or is Halloween strictly an American holiday tradition?  And what about Canada?  I am curious to anybodies input on this subject who has first hand knowledge.  So lay it on me, . . . Please.

I am trying to decide whether I want dress up again this year or not.  And if I do dress up, should I be a vampire slayer or a pirate.  Hard decision to make.  Normally I dress up and answer the door to hand out candy.  This year I have been informed by my husband that I am taking our child trick or treating and he is answering the door.  This is all fine with me.

This past weekend I went on a camping trip with my daughter's Girl Scout Brownie troop.  I won't say it was a nightmare but it was not the most pleasant experience for me as her mother.  She had a blast and loved every minute of it.  Now when I hear the word camping, I immediately think of tent and sleeping bag.  Well Girl Scout camping involves a camp (like summer camp) in cabins though I would have preferred the tent.  It was cold (35 degrees Fahrenheit) and the cabin was made of boards (cracks of daylight shown through the boards).  No insulation and screened doors.  Plus being a volunteer mother on the trip might worker duties (mine was kitchen duty).  But in all my daughter had a wonderful time and that is the most important thing of all.

Well this is getting too wordy for my tastes so I am cutting you off here.
Tudaloo Sweet Cheeks!
< Slipstream revisited | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
And there goes another one. @ . * . ! . ? . %....... | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
wipo by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 01:31:08 PM EST
au revoir, auf weidersehen, hugs and kisses...

but my favorite is kthxbye.

PS. No fireplace for those cabins?

Take it easy by debacle (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 01:47:56 PM EST
Or "Fuck off and goodbye"

Those are my two, at least.

Thanks by purr (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 02:51:08 PM EST
for the write in's.
Life is good when you are young. Then it sucks when you are old. And then you die. Live it while you got it.
Hallowe'en by Phage (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 17, 2006 at 11:15:57 PM EST
Is almost entirely an American thing, although by virtue of cultural imperialism it can be seen in a very attenuated version elsewhere.

OT: AFAIK the only place they celebrate Thanksgiving outside the US is Norfolk island off the coast of Australia where the custom came from American whalers.

Why do you hate cultural imperialism so much? by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 12:08:18 AM EST

It's the hydrogenated fats. by Phage (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 12:46:22 AM EST

Thanksgiving in celebrated in Canada by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 04:39:54 AM EST
but a month before the American one, since come November, it's too hard to travel in Canada, what with the blizzards and migrating hordes of moose being chased by Polar bears.

Thanks for the book recommendations by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 12:09:03 AM EST
Looks like the kind of thing my 11 year old enjoys. Added to her Xmas list.

oops by purr (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 02:19:32 AM EST
I can't recommend these for the 11 year because of some language and a little bit of detailed gore.  Betsy is funny but has a habit of foul words with she is angry.  Sorry my fault.
I'd be surprised if it is too strong by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 03:50:28 AM EST
You might be underestimating the precociousness of the modern 11 year old. Is it stronger than "Sean of the Dead"?

You could be right. by purr (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 04:40:36 AM EST
I know I started reading the Godfather books at age 12.  You might want to scan through it first (it was a really good book) just to make sure.  The first book is "Undead and Unwed" and there is some sex at the end of the book.
halloween by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 02:18:49 AM EST
In implementation, it is American. Trick or treating is done in Ireland, definitely (alas - little feckin' skangers). However, the timing corresponds generally to harvest festivals/winter coming stuff. Specifically Samhain.