Print Story Yo ho ho
By ad hoc (Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:12:04 AM EST) (all tags)
blow the man down.

Al Gore. Al. Gore. That was an awesome speech! Check it out. It's down under recent programs. This link may or may not work. Click the Click to start RealPlayer link.

I think I've said it before, but my client has the unnatural ability for scheduling meetings during spectacularly bad weather. Sometimes she schedules these weeks in advance. If you want to know whether there will be a blizzard or tornado, ask me when our next meeting is.

Take today for example.

Guess what time the meeting was over? Yep, 1:00.  Clock. Work.

As I always do, I took my cargo bike, which is an old Schwinn Sidewinder single speed beach bike that weighs about 50 pounds. Their office is only about a mile and a half from here, on Beacon Hill, so it's a nice ride through the Common and all.

I came out of the meeting, and the bike had blown over, and it had snapped the rear brake cable.

It was a fun ride home on my 50-pound bike headlong into 40 mph winds and pelting rain with one wet brake.

In corduroys.

< Sick Off | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Yo ho ho | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden)
Yesh. by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:20:49 AM EST
I saw a guy riding down Bloor (a big nearby street) with an umbrella the other day.

My guess is by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:38:29 AM EST
it wasn't doing much good.

Unless he was using it for lift.

If you Torontonians would get your act together and get your Velo City going, it wouldn't be an issue!
Science says, "YES!"

The haphazard riding. . . by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 11:01:38 AM EST

With the insane dude in the suit crossing lanes in the velo-city image where they're riding in the tube shows just how "utopian" such an idea would be. You'd still have tolerate insane idiots on the road, just that they'd only be able to take you down with equal force.

I'm all for it. Where do I sign up?

But they're in Canada by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 11:12:49 AM EST
Everybody's nice there.
Science says, "YES!"
I did notice. . . by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 11:38:22 AM EST

The crazy inconsiderate jackass did have a big smile. Here in the states those people are usually grimacing in disgust at those around them.

Or maybe open fire. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 11:40:21 AM EST
there should be a law against by 256 (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 01:16:32 PM EST
applying motion blurs to reclining bikes
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Hey! by lb008d (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Jan 19, 2006 at 11:20:24 AM EST
I take insult at your statement!

heh by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:21:34 AM EST
If the 60 degree heat and the rain didn't melt all the snow on Wachusett, the wind probably blew away the remainder.

Noam Chomsky: Well, forget about the hippies and so on and so forth.

Wah, wah-uh wah chusett by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:36:48 AM EST
There's an enormous five-story 200-year-old tree outside my client's office. It was blowing back and forth quite a bit.

I have a feeling the slopes will be nothing but tree branches by the end of the day.

BTW, who ya gonna call when you're windshield's busted?
Science says, "YES!"

It isnt the weather that was your problem by cam (4.00 / 4) #3 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:26:02 AM EST
IT WAS THE CORDUROYS!

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Yeah, but by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:35:04 AM EST
they make cool noises when you walk.
Science says, "YES!"
Hey by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 10:59:14 AM EST
where d'ya get your weather data?  That's spiffy.
---------------------------------
I am ten ninjas. Ten ninjas with root access. - mrgoat
wunderground.com by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 11:16:19 AM EST
Forecast
History

Well worth the $5.00 per year membership.
Science says, "YES!"

increase by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 01:28:33 PM EST
They're up to $10

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Cheap at twice the price by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 01:33:29 PM EST
I was lucky. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 11:28:02 AM EST
Today was a work-in-the-office day, but it wasn't raining when I went in, was only raining a bit when I ran an errand and when I left, and by the time I got home, it was actually nice out, if a bit humid. I was expecting to walk the mile home in driving rain and being compelled to feed Teh Dawg before being allowed to change clothes.
But sometimes? Sometimes, both shoes have already dropped. Ain't no more shoes. --blixco
OT sekret mesage by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #19 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 05:47:42 PM EST
We got the better letter.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

The dove flies at midnight. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 06:51:54 PM EST
Jeepers! by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 01:32:09 PM EST
Wind Gust to 85 mph at the Observatory

A strong mid-winter rainstorm has brought periods of heavy rain, very warm temperatures and the highest wind gust in a decade to the Observatory. A peak gust of 85 mph, SSE was measured at 12:43 pm on 18 January. This easily surpasses the previous record gust for the date of 61 mph S in 1994, and this is the highest wind since gusts to 88 mph and 91 mph were recorded in separate storms in January 1996. A secondary wind mast has been brought down by the wind today. Temperatures have soared to the upper 50s, which is short of the record high of 62 degrees set on 18 January in 1973 and 1990, but this adds further to an already very warm start to 2006.
Science says, "YES!"

hm by theantix (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 05:22:37 PM EST
that video link works fine, but it's like an hour long.  that's a lot of consecutive Al Gore, even if he is absolutely right (which I suspect him to be).

ok holy crap by theantix (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 06:27:35 PM EST
I was wrong.  It's a great speech and much better than the dull Al Gore of the past.  Thanks for the link.

Would I steer you wrong? by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 06:30:12 PM EST
*READS SUBJECT* by Awakened Dreamer (4.00 / 2) #22 Wed Jan 18, 2006 at 06:45:14 PM EST

*READS SIG*

*READS SUBJECT*
*READS SIG*

*READS SUBJECT*
*READS SIG*

*READS SUBJECT*
*READS SIG*

*BUFFER OVERRUN*

Yo ho ho | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden)