Print Story Early
By ad hoc (Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 05:18:49 AM EST) (all tags)
Early

Probably the most disturbing article of the series so far. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Mass. seems to be a bit better in this regard, and my Dr. is great, if sometimes hurried. Still, it's an expensive disease even with insurance. And let's not get started on the $5000 per year cost of insurance itself. Ugh.

Attention Cycling Infidels: Registration starts Sunday. Bikes. Beer. BBQ. Does it get any better than that?

Attention MNS infidel: PUPPY

I'm off for my Opthamology exam. Things will be bright and blurry for the rest of the day.

Tah.

< wasn't really going to write a diary as I don't really have much to say | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Early | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
+1 FLYING PUPPY!!!@!1 by ana (4.00 / 4) #1 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 05:29:46 AM EST
n/t.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 06:04:52 AM EST

They CAN fly after all!

pixie dust by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 06:53:34 AM EST
and happy thoughts..

Insurance is a risk-management system by cam (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 06:05:49 AM EST
for disaster/catastrophe. So it is not surprising that it is geared toward disasters such as amputations and other high-cost procedures.

The problem is commoditisation. Insurance should not be covering the commoditised components of health care as it is inefficient there. Health check-ups should be like Pep Boys and not cost more than $30 a visit and not take more than 30 minutes - ie no waiting.

Doctors should be devalued/deregulated and nurses (or other forms of health professional) allowed to take over for non catastrophic medical care.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I hear what you're saying by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 09:50:07 AM EST
but, as you know, that's not the way it works. These HMO things are supposed to be about "maintenance". There's very little "maintenance" that I can see. It also can't be deregulated unless and until there's really a free market. And there are too many powerful vested interests to allow that to happen.
UPDATE bodies SET status = 'DEAD'
There is no way it can be commoditised by cam (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jan 11, 2006 at 09:55:39 AM EST
by being managed through HMOs who are insurance based. The commodity part is the one that should be opened up to the free market. The Insurance part works well enough for catastrophes. It might even become more cost effective if it managed to flush the maintenance part out.

I also have no problem with the government providing either the catastophic part, or the maintenance part.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Early | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)