Print Story A direct training quote.
By Lost In A Dream (Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 04:14:11 AM EST) (all tags)

"So, before we get too far into this, is this something we're actually going to need to use?"

"Now, just stop. I'm trying to show you how much of a pain-in-the-ass this could be."

Never let it be said that our trainers are tactful in even the least little bit.

The guy speaking was a giant jackass anyway. We spent more time with our middle fingers pointing at the phone than we did listening to his drivel. Half the time he'd spend over forty minutes on something, just to say at the end of it, "And that's the way you should never, ever do it. Now I'll show you the correct way."

BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING STUPID FUCK!

And you've got to love updates from your vendor that crash the system. Absolutely got to love them. Everybody does. How else could you explain Microsoft's success?

Just to set up my mood for today. . .

I got home last night to find one of the "puppy chairs" shredded. The puppy chairs are two tables with thick padding on them to the sides of the couch, so that they lay just about at shoulder height when we are sitting on the couch. Very comfy for them, and it makes them feel like part of the gang.

So, wifey usually sews up the frayed edges while she watches TV since it's in the same room. Since she hasn't been feeling well, I've been doing most of the stuff she does around the house this week. Which is fine, believe me. But my hands are pieces of shit right now. I mean, dry, cracking, flaking. . .

So, during the five and a half hours it took to sew up the shredded corner of the puppy chair, my hands' condition improved exponentially. It actually hurts to type now. Not that that's stopping me.

The pup who accomplished the task has been reprimanded. She took me seriously. I could tell because her smile faded for a moment and she cocked her head to the side while slowing down the wild swinging of her tail. Then she quickly smiled again in such a cute way that I couldn't stay mad at her. Little shit.

So much for last night's project time. By the time I got done my back was locked up, my hands were cramping, and my fingers were a bloody mess. (And I'm using bloody in it's correct 'covered in blood' way here.) I only poked my finger three times, so I know it was more from wear and tear than from my usually abundantly apparent clumsiness. Blah.

This weekend we are going to pick up cell phones. Both of us. And wifey's trying to find a plan that covers both of us for less than thirty bucks a month. Hmm. Yeah. Good luck there. Cell phone service has gotten far more expensive rather than less in the past four years, which is the last time I owned a cell phone. Mostly because it's impossible to just get a straight up cell plan. They seem to option up even the simplest plan to include text messaging, paging, voicemail, blah, blah, blah, blah until it costs fifty a month or more. We'll see what we can come up with though.

That's enough.

Later.

< Great Moments in "Miami Vice" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A direct training quote. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
Tracfone, or other pay as you go? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 04:16:46 AM EST
Since I rarely use mine, I can do the $19.99 every two months, which averages out to 20 minutes a month.

Mrs. Ha uses her more, so she can get the $29.99 100 minutes every two months.

I reckon it depends on why you want a cellphone.

I doubt we'll use them much at all. by Lost In A Dream (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 04:18:54 AM EST

Maybe to call each other about once a week or so once we get done with vacation.

I hadn't heard you could get a pay-as-you-go plan. How's the coverage on one of those plans? Our biggest use for these will be when we are on vacation.

___________________________________
. . .What you want in a marriage is, something like that town in Pennsylvania that's built over a burning seam of coal.". -- ti dave

IAWMrHa by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 04:27:29 AM EST
I use pay-as-you-go from VirginMobile. You must deposit $20 at least once every 90 days. Calls are 25¢ per minute for the first 10 minutes per day, then 10¢ per minute after that. Text is 10¢ per message.

IIRC, they use Sprint's network.

So do I. by ti dave (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 05:08:18 AM EST
Unless you go well over 10 minutes per day, it's hella expensive.
I'm thinking of switching to another carrier.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

Damn. by Lost In A Dream (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 07:29:40 AM EST

I hear Sprint is pretty useless around here.

___________________________________

roaming is more expensive by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 04:27:58 AM EST
and where are you going for vacation, they may have a coverage map.

That's one of Virigin's drawbacks by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 05:33:02 AM EST
there is no roaming at all. You can't leave their service, so if there's no Sprint coverage, there's no coverage at all.

It hasn't been a problem so far, though.

Or, I should say the only problem I had was in the middle of the Green and White Mountains, but then, I doubt any carrier covers those areas.

Estes Park, Colorado by Lost In A Dream (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 07:30:25 AM EST

I was shocked four years ago when Verizon covered the entire area perfectly. They didn't have such great coverage out here at that time.

___________________________________

funny how that works by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 04:22:11 AM EST
More competition in the mobile phone market leads to...higher prices? Same thing happens with landline phones and cable TV. I don't get it either.

Expensive by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 05:03:54 AM EST
Well, sure, it's a little more expensive, but you can get a phone that has a shitty camera and can play a crappy game of chess!!!!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I blame the cell phone developers by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 05:38:24 AM EST
they should hire some smart Indian ones in Hyderbad.

And let's not forget. by Lost In A Dream (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Apr 08, 2005 at 07:31:31 AM EST

You can "update" your phone so that the crappy little pictures you take with the crappy little camera are forever locked away only on your cell phone unless you are willing to pay extra to transfer digital images through their network to your email account.

___________________________________

A direct training quote. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)