Print Story Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace"
Star Wars
By tps12 (Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:39:06 AM EST) Star Wars, Phantom Menace, Darth Sidious, Darth Maul, Nute Gunray (all tags)
Moment 6

Viceroy, find her! I want that treaty signed.

NUTE
          My Lord, it's impossible to
          locate the ship. It's out of
          our range.

DARTH SIDIOUS
          Not for a Sith...

A second SITH LORD appears behind DARTH SIDIOUS.

DARTH SIDIOUS (CONT'D)
          ...Viceroy, this is my
          apprentice, Lord Maul. He will
          find your lost ship.
< I am Looking | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace" | 34 comments (34 topical, 0 hidden)
And I shall call him Mini-maul by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #1 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:43:29 AM EST
not sith.

His doppleganger shall be by cam (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:55:09 AM EST
who let you in here? by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:59:40 AM EST
I'll have to have a talk with the bouncer.

roflcopter by 606 (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:22:33 AM EST
+1, Canadian Content

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Wha? by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:44:50 AM EST
"second" SITH LORD? DARTH SIDIOUS? Isn't that Emperor Palpatine? I think I was too engrossed in the intricate trade disputes to follow who was named what.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
yeah by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:53:06 AM EST
You weren't supposed to know that (then-)Senator Palpatine and Darth Sidious were the same person. I think it's supposed to be a surprise in Episode II, "subtly" hinted at by the funeral scene at the end of Episode I. It doesn't really work in the movie, since A) Darth Sidious's name is never used, so he's never really established as a distinct character and B) he is obviously the same guy as the senator. Also, everyone knew going in that the Emperor from the later movies was named Palpatine, and Darth Sidious dresses and talks like the emperor.

So don't feel bad about being confused...G-Lu's usual clumsy execution is what's to blame.

This is why I never wear my geek badge publicly.. by Jave27 (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:56:35 AM EST

It's comments like that that make me realize that I haven't done my due diligence in the full transition from human to geek.

"Beating up the homeless. It's cruel, but it's a good clean work-out and leaves you feeling winded and superior." - CheeseburgerBrown

well, right by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:02:25 AM EST
I meant that, even if you didn't know, then you'd probably be sitting next to a friend who did, who would nudge you and go "that guy's going to be the emperor!" or you'd read it in a review or something.

God-damn spoilers. by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:58:59 AM EST
I have episodes IV (or IIII if you're a clock-maker), V & VI sitting in my room waiting to be watched. And you just had to go and ruin it.

meh by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:01:20 AM EST
There's really no dramatic purpose to this reveal, so I don't consider it spoil-able.

Rosebud is Darth Vaders sled by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:03:39 AM EST
he left behind when he was adopted.

Best. SW. / CK. Comment. Evar. by Jave27 (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:18:44 AM EST
Do you watch the Family Guy?

I have just been saved by Evil Cloaked User (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:22:21 AM EST
From two long boobless hours.

You mean by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 06:25:21 AM EST
Rosebud is Kayser šozé's sled. Oh, and he's a dead person but it's OK cause the boy sorts it out with his wife.

Aha by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:03:36 AM EST
(Even) I knew about the Palpatine connection and figured out we weren't supposed to know about it, but I didn't know who Darth Sidious was supposed to be.

Also, I can't believe how unbelievably racist that scene is. They have the Japanese characters sitting in traditionally gothic-backed chairs at a glass-topped table, just like in the stereotype.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

hm by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:12:43 AM EST
Maybe I'm over-generalizing.

Jamaicans do not live underwater.

They do in hurricane season by DesiredUsername (4.00 / 2) #13 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:16:25 AM EST
nt

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
plus by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 05:31:47 AM EST

somebody somewhere in the movie mentioned that Sith Lords "always come in two's"

that's the weirdest part by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 05:49:09 AM EST
The only evident reason for the Rule of Two seems to be the ominous musing about "who was killed, the master or the apprentice" at the end. Which ultimately doesn't amount to much (or penultimately; I suppose something might come of it in Episode III).

It's also confusing, because I believe Vader is referred to as "the last of his order," or something along those lines, in Episode V or VI, which would suggest that at some point Palpatine abandons his Sith title. This appears to be the case even before Vader decides to try to gain Luke as an apprentice.

So, I don't get it. I suppose it's a reasonable explanation for why there aren't more dark Jedi, but it's not the only possible one (no analogous Rule was required for Episodes IV-VI, despite there apparently being only two practicing Jedi in the universe), and it doesn't really fit with facts established in the earlier films. I chalk it up to Lucas being a hack, but what do I know.

oh by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 06:10:04 AM EST

i'm sure he'll do another re-re-release of the DVDs and add dialoge that "fixes" the issues in IV-VI (which is a fun palendrome, btw).

oh right by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 06:14:26 AM EST
Wasn't he going to add in footage of Natalie Portman during Leia's reminiscence of her mother? What happened to that?

I think he's on to something, tweaking the movies every couple years to keep them up to date and consistent with one another. Just like a dictionary.

Wait, what does "Sith" mean by DesiredUsername (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 06:37:13 AM EST
I was assuming it was a species but if Palpatine is one (and Vader?) then clearly not.

OK, this gives facts ("Sith" just means "Bad Jedi") but doesn't clear up the "last of his order" part.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

nope by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 07:05:59 AM EST
Palpatine is Nabooian.

I might have imagined the "last of his order" line—it's happened before.

Vader by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #28 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 10:31:18 AM EST
Was last of the Jedi Order.  Darth Sidius/Emperor Palpatine was not a Jedi.

---------------
what gets me is... by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 01:21:38 PM EST
None of the Jedi can sense that vader will become Vader.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
in a way they can by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 12:06:08 AM EST
They at least consider that he may be the one who will "restore balance to the Force." They just don't realize what restoring balance entails.

ah, good call by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 12:06:41 AM EST
I totally forgot that.

CORRECTION by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #17 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 02:34:41 AM EST
                     NUTE
          My Rord, it's a-impossible to
          rocate the ship.  It's a-out
          of our lange. Ah ha, ah ha ha.
          </Offensive stereotype>

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Maybe you're big Repubric by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #18 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 04:29:21 AM EST
probes find them, they much bigger than our tiny Trade Federation probes.

Racist (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 04:35:22 AM EST

count dooku by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Mar 28, 2005 at 09:42:37 AM EST
sith or not? dark yedi,  yes?

damn you by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #32 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 12:40:12 AM EST
You have driven me to consult the AotC screenplay. It is extremely tempting to do a "Great Moments of 'Attack of the Clones'" when I encounter dialogue like this:

ANAKIN
          Don't be afraid.

PADMÉ
          I'm not afraid to die. I've
          been dying a little bit each
          day since you came back into
          my life.

ANAKIN
          What are you talking about?

PADMÉ
          I love you.

ANAKIN
          You love me?! I thought we
          decided not to fall in love.
          That we would be forced to
          live a lie. That it would
          destroy our lives...

PADMÉ
          I think our lives are about to
          be destroyed anyway. My love
          for you is a puzzle, Annie,
          for which I have no answers. I
          can't control it... and now I
          don't care. I truly, deeply
          love you, and before we die I
          want you to know.

PADMÉ leans toward ANAKIN. By straining hard, it is just
possible for their lips to meet. They kiss.

As to your question...I am pretty sure Dooku is a Sith. He refers to Sidious as "Master," and Sidious calls him "Lord Tyranus," which sounds like a Sith name. I am guessing that he was taken on as an apprentice to replace Darth Maul, and that Vader will become the new apprentice when Dooku is killed.

thanks for clearing that up for me by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #33 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 03:46:27 AM EST
I was thinking they were both around at the same time, but I guess Dooku at first was just a "rebellious" jedi who then got corrupted completely after Maul died.

It does sort of make me wonder who Maul was. Aren't the Sith "turned" jedi?

yeah, i don't know by tps12 (4.00 / 1) #34 Tue Mar 29, 2005 at 03:51:30 AM EST
Sidious, at least, had never been a trained Jedi, but I'm not sure how the Sith would find new recruits other than by turning good Jedi. I have trouble imagining a red, horned guy with glowing eyes being accepted into Jedi School, but maybe I'm prejudiced.

Great Moments in "The Phantom Menace" | 34 comments (34 topical, 0 hidden)