Print Story Hofstadter
By johnny (Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 10:57:50 PM EST) (all tags)
I spoke with Douglas Hofstadter for about an hour yesterday.  That was kinda cool.  I'm still hoping that he'll participate in the mashup of my Cheap Complex Devices, but I ain't going to count on it.

Cheap Complex Devices purports to concern the Hofstadter Prize in Machine-Written Narrative, so when I published the book in 2002 I sent Prof. Hofstadter a copy of the book and we exchanged a few brief emails.

So when I decided to do the mashup (also discussed here and here) I wrote to him and asked if he would like to read a few pages aloud for the effort.  He wrote back that had not read the book, but had at least looked at it, and he remembered our email exchange.  He said that he might try to find his copy to take another look, but in the meantime would be willing to chat on the phone about minds and storytelling machines & so forth.

So he called up today and we talked. Week after next he'll be in Boston & I'm going to try to get together with him to continue the conversation. Maybe I'll see if he's interested in doing an interview for K5.

By the way, I never did make it to the O'Reilly Etech conference. I'm setting my sights on the Open Source conference in August.

I cross-posted variants of this diary at Kuro5hin and Wetmachine.

< Three Tracks For That Ass | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hofstadter | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
s/Prof./Dr. by ti dave (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 11:01:56 PM EST
Sorry, but I'm German that way.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. --W.S. Burroughs

Maybe also your background in the service by johnny (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 11:07:25 PM EST
But now that Dr. H and I are so chummy, I sometimes forget to be so formal ;^)

Actually... by ti dave (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 11:09:49 PM EST
I love how they string titles together, like boxcars of self-worth.

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.

I once got a postcard by ana (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Mar 26, 2005 at 12:19:22 AM EST
from a colleague in Europe. It was pre-printed, fill-in-the-blank request for a copy of a published paper. Being from Europe, it was in several languages, among which I could read the German and English.

The German text began, Sehr Geehrte Herr Kollege (i imagine I've mangled the spelling), which translates more or less literally as "highly honored Mr. Colleague".

The English salutataion was Dear Colleague.

Even if it had been raining flaming poodles, it's better than work. -- blixco

Understatement... by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Mar 26, 2005 at 01:35:23 AM EST
I wouldn't say by whazat (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Mar 26, 2005 at 05:58:19 AM EST
That the english were that good at it really.

The revolution will not be realised
Better than the equivalent American salutation; by ti dave (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Mar 26, 2005 at 07:41:56 AM EST
"I liked yuor paper so gimme it."

I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.

Cool. by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 3) #2 Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 11:06:10 PM EST
Tell him "hi" from CheeseburgerBrown and ask him to sign my tits.

_____
Mine first, and by johnny (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 25, 2005 at 11:08:22 PM EST
Go back to bed. You're tired.

Bloody Daylight Savings Time by CheeseburgerBrown (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Mar 26, 2005 at 01:33:39 AM EST
The child rises with the sun! My kingdom to spring ahead!

Five thirty she woke up today. Like a stinkin' farmer.

_____
It's all that mountaineering training by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Mar 26, 2005 at 02:02:34 AM EST
You have to get up early for that.

Hofstadter | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)