Print Story My Internet Access is Back
Politics
By tps12 (Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 09:46:39 AM EST) (all tags)
Therefore, you get the diary I started writing Monday night.

I'm tired. A bit of drinking and hanging out and walking around waving signs this weekend, but not much sleep. I got a nice "Republicans for Voldemort" sticker and some fliers about voter drives in swing states.

Cops were good both Saturday and Sunday, but 100 arrests at Critical Mass and 1000 yesterday...WTF. Still no reports of violence, so it sounds like the policy handed down (from Bloomberg, I guess) was hands off on the weekend and arrest everyone during the week. I wonder how many people will actually be charged with anything. Scary.

Big Media Matt has a post on how political demonstrations are stupid. IMHO, he's doing one of those things where you say something you know everyone on "your side" will disagree with to prove that you are deep enough to not hew to the party line. Norm Finkelstein wrote about this phenomenon in an essay on Chris Hitchens. The idea is, a truly principled person, while generally aligned with one social or political movement or another, will at times follow her principles to conclusions that contradict those movements' stated positions. This leads to the conflation of controversial positions and consistent principles, which in turn leads to some people making controversial statements in order to increase their perceived credibility. So you get Michael Moore making sexist comments, Chris Hitchens (when he was still a liberal) taking anti-choice positions, or Matt encouraging the extinction of spotted owls.

Of course, when taking a controversial stance on any issue, it is vital that you present your view as being more realistic, more firmly based in common sense and reason, than those who buy into the conventional wisdom. Thus did liberal hawks paint the anti-war left as irrational dreamers, to such an extent that, amidst spreading acknowledgement that Iraq was a mistake, those who argued so at the time are still marginalized. This is why I was so happy to see Digby's response. Digby is a poli-sci nerd and a hardcore partisan; he is no radical lefty, and approaches everything in terms of what benefits the Democratic Party the most. Yet, from this pragmatic POV, he feels that protests are valuable.

Just removed a few long paragraphs about how I was stressed. I was, but it has been resolved. I did learn that I will likely have to take more of a leadership role in dealing with "house stuff" than perhaps I would have liked. This may involve bringing back my award-winning group accounting program I developed in college. I will probably port it from Pearl to C#, just because. Because I am a dork.

Hm, alternate Republican delegate on C-SPAN just (well, Monday night, when I was writing this) said she's always been a Republican because access to good public education, regardless of race or class, is important to her. I knew the GOP was planning on presenting a more moderate face at their convention, but damn...from what little I saw of her, I'd vote for her over Kerry any day.

Reading about "The Tank," the place they have set up for liberal bloggers covering the RNC, it sounded very much like this community theater/art space I'd gone to a party at just the weekend before last. Ezra at Pandagon posted a picture today that confirms it. Sort of a weird coincidence.

My gf's mother was holding her purse for her, and absent-mindedly put an open bottle of root beer in it and then walked around. By the time this was discovered, a wallet, a mobile phone, a CD player, probably a magazine or two, part of a pack of cigarettes and some matches were ruined. Bummer.

I have burned Lunix 10, and now am merely awaiting a day when I feel like screwing everything up to install it. FYI. I also have only one more batch of computers to take to Office Depot for recycling. Also FYI.

I'm about to go down the street to do phone banking for Kerry. I haven't done that in years. Should be fun.

< Things are looking bad. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
My Internet Access is Back | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden)
Accounting program by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 09:57:08 AM EST
An actual piece of software? You *are* a dork. Specifically, a dork in trouble if you are to be the one collecting rent from your gf's best friend.

Linda Wortheimer had a thing the safternoon about how the Christian Right (according to the "founder") will be feeling marginalized because of the moderateness of the convention and might decide to vote Democrat because none of the (bigoted) issues they care about are being talked about by either side anyway.

Phone ban....oh, not bank-by-phone. Telemarketing.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

which is odd. by dev trash (3.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 03:02:50 PM EST
I think the GOP as it stands now is way too, Christian-right oriented.  But I'd not vote for Kerry to protest it.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
It didn't seem likely to me by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 12:17:28 AM EST
But SomeGuy was saying that many (most?) of the Xians who vote Republican only do so because of abortion (and now gay marriage) but otherwise they are social liberals or apathetic. If the convention doesn't target them, was his argument, many will vote Kerry or not at all.

I think I just restated my earlier post, but I'm too lazy to check.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

Good diary by cam (3.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 10:28:24 AM EST
Enjoyed reading it. It wasnt clear, you were in New York for the protests?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

No, Miami by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 10:48:56 AM EST
He's against hurricanes.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
He was protesting in the wrong place then by cam (3.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 10:58:03 AM EST
Richmond, VA got washed away while he was busy in Miami.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Wow is he ever uninformed by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 11:40:11 AM EST

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
thank you, Laurel and Hardy (nt) by tps12 (6.00 / 1) #13 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 12:41:45 AM EST

A stronger immigration policy would end the furrin by georgeha (6.00 / 1) #6 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 10:59:17 AM EST
Caribbean hurricane menace.

just for the weekend by tps12 (6.00 / 1) #17 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 12:57:47 AM EST
I went to the Planned Parenthood march across the Brooklyn Bridge, which was just nice and fun...great day for a stroll across the bridge, plus cars were honking and everything. And then the anti-war demonstration Sunday, which was exhausting. I haven't yet talked to my brother (who is out of work after his employer moved to LA), but he was planning to go to a bunch more protests this week.

christopher hitchens... by rmg (3.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 10:54:24 AM EST
i know he's been branded a right winger and "mediawhore" by the "blogging community," but what, beyond the testimony of some rabble with keyboards, has convinced you he is no longer a liberal?

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.
cuz he's old and bitter by MillMan (6.00 / 1) #10 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 05:19:14 PM EST
like all old people. Similar to Barry Miles who MNS talked about earlier this week. He gave up and decided the world has no redeeming value.

As an old, bitter man, he now enjoys war as sport and making life difficult for poor people. Thus his new political affiliation.
This may be the first class war in history where the victims will die laughing.

reading his articles (nt) by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #14 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 12:42:23 AM EST

really? by rmg (3.00 / 0) #18 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 05:42:16 AM EST
i read his articles and got the opposite impression.

i suppose someone who reads my comments might come to the same conclusion. many have. but that tells us a lot about what kind of reader they are, doesn't it?

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.

voldemort by Patriclus (3.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 04:14:59 PM EST
Intriguing, the slogan and banner.

I read some Harry Potter, once.  It seems I haven't remembered what Voldemort's political philosophy was, though. Was it just: evil? would you say? Destroy Harry Potter, and everything else is just playing with marbles?

Please don't go out of your way for it, but, perchance do you have the translation to the Japanese that was lost in translation advising on how to act when drinking certain kinds of whiskey for relaxing times?

racial purity by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 12:50:53 AM EST
Voldemort's whole deal historically is that he thinks pureblood wizards are superior to everyone else. So he wants to rule the world as a dictator and subjugate or wipe out all of the Muggles and mixed-blood families. I don't think the sticker intended to draw any parallel beyond "Republicans == evil," but I found it funny.

This is not an everyday whiskey you know.

[s] by Patriclus (3.00 / 0) #19 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 07:12:05 AM EST
Thanks for the link!  "We don't have time for this, okay?" Haha.

Voldemort.  Is there any way for a person without wizard blood to learn wizardry, I forget.  Just thinking about racial castes and that all sort of thing.

wizards by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #20 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 07:26:45 AM EST
Warning: we are moving into pretty dorky territory here.

Muggles can have wizarding children (Hermione's parents are both Muggles) and wizarding families can have non-magical children (called Squibs), but the general pattern is that families are either magical or non-magical. I think it's sort of like being bald.

babies making babies by Patriclus (3.00 / 0) #21 Fri Sep 03, 2004 at 06:02:38 AM EST
I think...

... It's got more to do with the sex drive of the parents.  Sex drive; fancy combinations of moves; this sort of thing.  Mr. and Mrs. Granger were just really hot for one another.

well by MillMan (6.00 / 1) #11 Wed Sep 01, 2004 at 05:29:07 PM EST

Perhaps this is part of the assumption, but I think this is going to occur in any society that values individuality. Supporting a cause is not enough for an individual. You have to make a mark on your own merit to be considered successful in western cultures, so you take actions that serve yourself while harming the larger cause.

As far as Hitchens, see my reply to rmg, and I'm not particularly joking.
This may be the first class war in history where the victims will die laughing.

that's a good point by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 02, 2004 at 12:52:36 AM EST
You're right, that has nothing to do with an implication of principle.

My Internet Access is Back | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden)