Print Story Overthrow it like throwin' over a biscuit
News
By tps12 (Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 02:12:23 PM EST) (all tags)
A lot of bitches think he's overly chauvenistic

Within, some personal news, thoughts on The Atlantic, South Park, and degree mills.

And a poll on what puts you on top of the world.

On Easter I went with my girlfriend's family to their social club. It was pretty WASPy and funny, but they mixed a good Bloody Mary and had some kickass oysters and wine, so it was all good. Also met their family friends, who were entertaining.

I am making caveman mead, thanks to DU. As long as it's more drinkable than cooking sherry, it will have found a place in my liquor cabinet.

My friend shared the Madvillain CD, and I think I should buy it.

I'd never really read The Atlantic much, unless I was taking a bus or something and needed a crossword. I sort of assumed it was the same as Harper's, but I read through an old issue (9/03) I'd had lying around this weekend, and was surprised at how conservative a lot of its politics are. I'd read Caitlin Flanagan's March cover story, "How Serfdom Saved the Women's Movement," and found it silly, but didn't realize that her harangues against "feminists" (a group comprised, in her world, of all the other wives at the country club) were regular features. Hitchens' essay on how Edward Said should really helped bridge the gap between West and Other was just exhausting. And Gregg Easterbrook is a contributing editor. So much for middlebrow journalism.

But yeah, their crosswords are great, so maybe I'll subscribe.

I'm giving up on South Park. I've now viewed at least two episodes, the most recent being the LOTR parody and "The Passion of the Jew." The LOTR one was pretty funny at points, but "Passion" was a real disappointment. I thought I'd really like it, since part of the premise is that Mel Gibson is a raving loon, but the Jew jokes don't really do it for me, even with the "hey check it out, we're making Jew jokes" winking and nudging. Also, the portrayal of Passion of the Christ fans marching and shouting Nazi slogans comes across as critical of anti-Semitism, while undermining the actual, legitimate fears of anti-Semitic reaction. Disappointing. And not funny.

For one reason or another, I was googling for fake college degrees yesterday. After thinking about it, I'm largely in support of the easy availability of cheap, "meaningless" degrees; it's a predictable effect of the unfortunate tendency of some employers (and landlords, dates, &c., but I think mostly employers) to judge people by paper credentials rather than investigate and evaluate the actual abilities or achievements for which those credentials are supposed to stand. Of course, where there is a public interest in ensuring qualifications (as in medicine or law), licensing standards should be (and AFAIK are) maintained separate from paper degrees. Okay, all that said, these testimonials are extremely depressing; Mark Trenton, "Ph.D.," my heart weeps for you.

< Attention Telephoning Infidels | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Overthrow it like throwin' over a biscuit | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden)
addendum by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 02:18:42 PM EST
My girlfriend is participating in the Relay for Life at Columbia. I gave a token amount, and you should too.

The Atlantic, brewing by georgeha (5.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 02:45:30 PM EST
homebrew equipment is cheap enough, you can buy an airlock for $1, a carboy for $15, and have much higher quality standards than a soda bottle and ballon, but caveat emptor.

I've been subscribing to The Atlantic, and considered them to have a mixed political viewpoint.  They had a nice cover story on Kerry months before he garnered the lead, and I still fondly recall the GEneration X story they wrote in 1991. I suppose if you find the idea that you won't be as close to your children if you let a nanny raise them threatening, you may consider them conservative, but I think there's a ring of truth there.

You should post during the day, so I have more time to research.

a DOLLAR?? by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #5 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:06:13 PM EST
Man, you richie rich homebrewers.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
yeah by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:09:07 PM EST
I don't know if I want to really get into the whole homebrewing thing. I might get back into distilling once my apartment complex switches to a communist energy plan, but beering sounds pretty time intensive.

You're right, The Atlantic is pretty balanced. I should have been more specific: Harper's has a marked liberal slant, and since they seem to cater to the same demographic I expected The Atlantic to be about the same.

Also, I have no problem with discussing the pros and cons and the social implications of using nannies. The reactionary (and what I called silly) part is when such a discussion addresses these issues only with respect to mothers. The crazy part is when that same discussion is addressed to femenists in general, when in reality I imagine that very few feminists can actually choose between having a nanny and not.

You can always research and post later...I check for new comments on old diaries all the time.

Distilling by DesiredUsername (5.00 / 1) #9 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:14:30 PM EST
OBVIOUSLY what you MEANT was that you'd do the distilling ONLY for FUEL PURPOSES, which is why you mentioned ENERGY and why you would also be obtaining a LICENSE from the ATF to do so. Because anything else would be somewhat less than 100% LEGAL.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
oh THANKS by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #10 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:17:06 PM EST
I think I ALSO forgot to mention that VERIZON has been giving me nothing but ACCEPTABLE PERFORMANCE since the day I signed up with them.

Verizon is NOTHING by DesiredUsername (3.00 / 0) #11 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:25:08 PM EST
if NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline
The Atlantic, eh? by rmg (5.00 / 1) #3 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 02:50:18 PM EST
I don't really go for "periodicals." Is it anything like the New Yorker? I love the cartoons in that one...

South Park has always sucked. Their omnipresent social criticism is uniformly middle of the road, half-witted, and thoroughly boring and the humor could really only appeal to a child. It is, however, better than Mad TV.

[t]rolling retards conversation, period.

not sure by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #12 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:25:21 PM EST
I don't read The New Yorker often. No cartoons in The Atlantic, though, so you may not like it. The problem with periodicals is that you can't subscribe to just one, or you end up being the guy who always talks about that one magazine. The best solution is to write a "Magazines" column in some other magazine, and then you get to read and summarize all of it.

Better than Mad TV...damning with faint praise, that is.

heh by infinitera (5.00 / 1) #4 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 02:53:51 PM EST
I thought their Passion episode was the best critique I've seen thus far. And I've seen a lot in the blogosphere/online media. Not to mention that it was hilarious, to a jewboy (myself).

Who cares what you think? — Son of the 41st King
interesting by tps12 (3.00 / 0) #8 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:13:38 PM EST
I thought Andy Rooney's critique was pretty solid.

And don't you try to pull that Jew cred stuff on me—why, some of my best friends...

South Park by DesiredUsername (5.00 / 1) #7 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:12:20 PM EST
Having only ever watched it fewer than 5 times I'm certainly not in a position to be an informed apologist, but I will say that I doubt that taking only the Very Special episodes is a fair sampling. Especially from, what, season 18?

I would like to know what the 100% LEGAL transcripts say when someone requests one. Do they have actual class names and stuff on there, with a grade? Or does it just say "Life Experience: 3.8/4.0"?

Now accepting suggestions for a new sigline

life experience by tps12 (5.50 / 2) #13 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:26:05 PM EST
Barely passed that course, and only after I'd slept with the professor.

huh by jettero (3.00 / 0) #17 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 10:59:37 PM EST
Suddenly I wish to request a copy of my transcripts be sent to me.

another Atlantic comment by MillMan (5.00 / 3) #14 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:31:13 PM EST
I think they're somewhat conservative in a literal sense. To me the magazine is written for rich liberals, who aren't interested in change.

I subscribe to it myself, I like the fact that they have such in depth articles on topics that others cover after them in a much more shallow fashion.

ME NOT LIKE FAKE DEGREES! by The Incredulous Hulk (3.00 / 4) #15 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:48:39 PM EST
HULK ATTEND COLLEGE!  HULK GET PhD!  DR. HULK SMASH PUNY MAN THEN FIX HIM TO SMASH AGAIN!

dear sir by yankeehack (5.50 / 4) #16 Tue Apr 13, 2004 at 03:50:19 PM EST
there are some amusing retorts to that nanny article in this month's Atlantic which I read on the train to DC last Friday.

The Atlantic is what Time and Newsweek should aspire to be.  C'mon, who doesn't like PJ O'Rourke or Mark Bowden?

That is all.

correction by tps12 (6.00 / 2) #18 Tue Apr 20, 2004 at 05:11:50 AM EST
It seems that the actual lyric misquoted in the title likens overthrowin' it to throwin Rover a biscuit. Which makes a lot more sense. Apologies for the confusion.

Overthrow it like throwin' over a biscuit | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden)