Print Story Discuss
By technician (Mon Sep 30, 2019 at 03:18:40 PM EST) (all tags)
She was attractive the way that furniture can be. Solid, well made, objectified into existence.

It's getting fall here. The thin air, already a patchwork of brown smog and bright hot white, is taking on the cold deep blue that will define winter's sunny skies.

I hate it.

I've lost any love I have for the place. It's expensive, it's crowded, the air quality sucks, and my house is ridiculous.

Our house takes $10k a month to keep running, my wife is obsessed with getting grass to grow and spends every available moment out in the yard. I'd help but I'm not interested and my work isn't up to snuff. I sometimes see her through the bushes like a yeti passing in the afternoon light.

Right now I'm on a day off. I work four tens, and Mondays I get for running errands and having appointments, things I can't do during my work week because the work week takes all my life away from me, leaves me dry and dead. A fall leaf. But today is my day off so I'm at a pizza place that makes vegan pizza. I'm not vegan (I still wear leather boots and a leather belt, I drink beer and wine and eat honey and etc) but my diet is entirely plant based. One year of plant based diet, my cholesterol went up. I'm the only person that can happen to. But I'll keep at it. I like the environment. I just replaced my car with a hybrid. I care about the future your kids will live.

Let's see. I now know people who like their jobs. Some who love them. I'm always amazed. I keep thinking I'll get old enough to be like that.

Speaking of old, holy crap, are we old.

More later. Pizza now.

< Her own accord | It wasn't a rock... >
Discuss | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)
After the above by technician (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 30, 2019 at 07:16:20 PM EST
And before being at a pub, I was told that 90 percent of my contracts were no longer available to me at work.

I can now only bill one contract. This is what happens right before they tell you that your job is done.

I'm pretty psyched. What if I can only find work in another location?

Last job I had by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Sep 30, 2019 at 11:07:21 PM EST
was at a small business and they hired me to tweak the database and Visual BASIC code and Crystal Report so they ran faster. After I made it to the beta test, I was fired for no reason given. What took 15 minutes to run a report now took 15 seconds. I did my job, and I did it well.

No loyalty in the current industry, you have to be loyal to your company but your company has no reason to be loyal to you when programmers are a dime a dozen thanks to Hacker Dojo Hackathons.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
I absolutely love my job! by me0w (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Oct 01, 2019 at 07:31:41 AM EST
I know the feeling of being in a job you hate. That was me about five years ago. When I took a leap and made the switch to massaging full time - best decision I ever made. I'm happy to go to work now.

It's a strange thing by clock (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Oct 01, 2019 at 07:50:04 AM EST
Location, right? I've lived in 6 or so states in different parts of the country and none of them fit quite right. Well, the one that was closest is off the table because I'd never see my wife again, but that's not the point. The point, if there is one, is that I really envy the people who can find that spot on the earth that just hits them. I've not had that feeling, I don't think.

Stacky and I like to talk about where we'll go after the kids are out of school. We stare at each other like morons and talk about the places we won't live. The truth is, we have no idea. And we'll never have an idea. And we'll likely end up close to the kids if we can swing it.

Otherwise? Just about any patch of woods that gets a change of color throughout the year will be just fine. A porch and a pole barn and things to fiddle with. There's worse things.

Glad you're here.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

You know by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Oct 05, 2019 at 05:43:20 PM EST
that I agree with this. There's worse things indeed. But mostly for me that's about not actively disliking where I'm at plus the capacity to get away from it in enough ways. Same for work. It's not a ringing endorsement, but it's a measured life.

And our future conversation is largely where we wouldn't couldn't be, too. It's a longer list, so more to talk about.

$10k a month to keep running by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Oct 01, 2019 at 01:01:14 PM EST
How the hell do you spend that much? New roof monthly? I spend, including mortgage, $2500. A larger house would maybe be $3k. 3.5 if it had electric heat. Heck, Dad's 5k sq ft 30 year old house in Utah didn't cost that much.

Assuming you're cleared, there's lots of jobs in the Colorado Springs area for IT types. Take a look at L3 Harris and tell me if you see anything you like. I might get a referral bonus. ;-)

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

water out west by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Oct 01, 2019 at 03:17:41 PM EST
can't be cheap ..

It's not that expensive by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Oct 02, 2019 at 07:55:18 AM EST
Dad lived in a desert in southern Utah. Sure, he planted rocks in the back yard, but the front had trees and grass.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Last month by technician (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Oct 05, 2019 at 09:51:33 PM EST
It was a French drain and sump pump to deal with the spring under our driveway. $7500.

Add the mortgage, and that's $10k before any other expenses.

The month before it was plumbing.

Electrical and plumbing before that.

And on and on.

You bought a project house by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Oct 06, 2019 at 07:52:40 AM EST
So did I, but I knew it going in. $100k, but I’ll get it back if I stay here for another decade or so. Also, I have a new kitchen, master bath, deck out back, and other odds and ends.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

If I'm lucky by technician (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Oct 06, 2019 at 11:15:51 AM EST
We'll get to stop paying for plumbing and electrical issues after this year.

But I'm not lucky.

Still, it's worth more than it was, thanks to the market here.

Dude by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Oct 01, 2019 at 06:27:08 PM EST
> Our house takes $10k a month to keep running

No fucking way, man.

I don't think it's about age by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Oct 02, 2019 at 11:52:28 AM EST
I used to love my job, and with years of accumulated wisdom I realize I should have hated it much sooner.

Discuss | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)