Print Story I'm foresee a lot more movie watching
Educashun
By georgeha (Wed Aug 21, 2019 at 09:45:02 AM EST) (all tags)
now that there are three of us in the house.

Plus, a six week work at home update, an update on a car for mature people who don't troll newbies, and more.

I'm exhausted. We're probably all exhausted, as yesterday was move in day at RIT for the eighteen_year_old. Of course, there's always something. The twenty_three_year old's car, a dull, responsible Camry, is near death, requiring $1700 in work to fix some leaking fluids. She wants something newer and more fun, prefereably a Subaru.

Our move in time was 12:30, so we spent them morning loading heavy and bulky stuff into the Forester that twenty_three_year old was taking for her morning shift, then loading the Impreza and rendezvousing at the local community college to tag things and pass out parking lot passes.

The dorms at RIT are all clustered in Eastern end of campus, so we had to go to a section of a big student lot and wait in line to go up to the dorm door, where older RIT students quickly emptied the car and said we had to circle around the campus and park in an overflowing lot far away. I drove away while twenty_three_year old up to help eighteen_year old. There were shuttle buses to get the parents back to the dorms, but they were rare, so I set off in the heat and humidity for a long walk.

Mrs. Ha ended up a  ew cars behind me. She forgot her phone and wore flip flops, so after the Impreza was empty eighteen_year_old went up to her room and she had to park far away, and hike back in the heat without knowing what was going on.

Eventually Mrs. Ha got back to the room while I was the only one there, as twenty_three_year old was looking for Mrs. Ha, and eighteen_year old was looking for a high school friend who had moved in yesterday.

Soon enough eighteen_year_old showed up with three high school friends, the one going to RIT, one going to Ryerson in Toronto (he's been told to be wary of the Toronto moose infestation, don't get in their way) and one going to Finger Lakes CC. They all pondered the problems of the dorm room, it's small and eighteen_tear_old had to move her dressed into her closet.

The friends finally left so we could got to an Asian buffet, then Wegmans for what she needed in her dorm room, then home. Since it was just Mrs. Ha and I until the twenty_three_year old got home from work after 10, we started watching the Godfather, I reckon we will have lots of movie time since twenty_three_year old closes often.

So yeah, the Camry is dying, in between packing for college 23yo and I have been going through the car buying process. We've had a few tset drives, now she's waiting to get an appointment at the credit union with a loan officer. If she closed out some savings account she could buy something outright for $4000, but she's okay financing.

Six weeks into work at home I'm still not seeing much time or money savings, and I'm not as productive as I was in my cube.

Sine I no longer have to drive 18yo to and from her job, and she's moved in, I should have more time to clean up our study, and have less driving to do. I deserve it.

< Huh. | Learn something new ? >
I'm foresee a lot more movie watching | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)
eighteen and twenty_three by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 21, 2019 at 01:25:52 PM EST
Man. We are all getting old.

So far no one in the crew I ran with growing up has grandkids, but probably in a few years. Cousin already has 4.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Grandkids by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 21, 2019 at 04:38:17 PM EST
Someone in my grade from highschool has two grandkids.  She also skipped a grade and is a year younger than me.

Speak for yourself. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Aug 21, 2019 at 07:13:28 PM EST
I'm not old.

Now, my little sister. She's old. Has 3 grandkids. Not me though.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
ages by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Aug 21, 2019 at 07:40:53 PM EST
i'm 45, which means that it's entirely possible for me to have grandkids. it's almost possible, if every generation had kids young, for me to have great-grandkids.
If everyone had them by 15 by marvin (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 22, 2019 at 09:07:04 PM EST
That would be young indeed.

Way back in Ohio .... by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 23, 2019 at 04:41:32 PM EST
... I worked with a woman in her early thirties who was a grandmother. So, yeah, great-grandparenthood is within the realm of possibility for someone your age.

Cicero, The Republic
Mrs.Ha's youngest sister has one by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 22, 2019 at 09:41:23 AM EST
none of my close hs friends have any.

LO by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Aug 24, 2019 at 03:05:03 PM EST
has informed me that I won't be a grandmother until my mid-50s, which is fine by me.

I'll just be a hot young mom of a 20-something for a little while more. ;-P

Fun Subaru by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Aug 21, 2019 at 04:35:47 PM EST
That would seem to be a WRX, which would be thrashed to hell and likely have an interior covered in a film of vape juice.

She's not ready, she can't even drive a stick by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 22, 2019 at 09:20:51 AM EST
She's leaning to the Outback Impreza Sports, like our black one. It's smaller than an Outback, which is good since she'll be parking on the street.

Bluetooth would be a plus!

lol by barooo (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 30, 2019 at 10:36:03 AM EST
Hopefully that's one of those things like riding a bike, I haven't driven stick since tax day 2015 when I had the family truckster towed to the subaru dealership in anger.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
It is for me by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 30, 2019 at 11:11:34 AM EST
I gave up the Tercel in 2011 and got the automatic Camry.

Come 2013, I'm in France renting a car, it's a stick. Likewise 2015 for Germany (twice) and France.

There's no better way to refresh your manual transmission skills than with rental car on a business trip.

Or a used Baja by lm (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Aug 23, 2019 at 04:42:40 PM EST
Just saying.

Cicero, The Republic
I'm foresee a lot more movie watching | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)