Print Story Early June Update
By yankeehack (Sun Jun 02, 2019 at 02:17:30 PM EST) (all tags)
LO is back, travel, and something new.

LO has been home for the summer for less than 24 hours and she's already asked me for money, took my car for errands, and now her boyfriend is visiting for the day. That, and I had to clear out her room of my things.

And people were wondering why I was grumpy when I told them she was returning home for the summer. At least she got a subletter for her apartment.

I still should straighten up the house before the kids return and clean the kitchen floor. One of the cats now does this not-so-cute thing of rubbing the floor with their food, as she tries to scoop up food with her paws.

...

I was in Cali the week before last for work, and work is work, and I'm not gonna bitch about it here. I got a really bad sunburn (actually a sun allergy) after a day of sailing on SF Bay on my face because of the retinol products I use.

Using rideshare to get around for work when I am in Cali gets really tiring quick.

The other piece of work news is that I will be going to Switzerland in July for a dev conference (we're sponsoring and some of my coworkers are attending). Flights are stupid expensive if I fly direct into the city where the conference is, so I'm thinking of flying into Zurich for my arrival and then taking the weekend after the conference to travel elsewhere in Europe and fly out of another city. I haven't decided where yet, but I am wary of Paris in July.

The one good thing about my work is that I am a master of my own schedule. I could bum around Europe and work from there if I wanted (maybe next year when I won't have to worry about the kid theoretically).

...

In other news, I'm still restless.

...

The one shitty thing about dating in your 40s is that we're all curmudgeons by now set in our ways.

Anyway, I saw this guy a few times, down in DC. A Marine (why the hell not) of course. Apparently, he's a well-known character in his branch; almost 30 years of service from enlisted to officer, long-time bachelor, a hard-ass reputation of sorts. The other thing is that he absolutely reminds me of MNS, as in "If MNS had a brother who joined the military, it would be this guy." There were more than a few times I did a double-take just in the way he expresses himself. Yes, he's Irish, too and from around Philly as it turns out.

I hung out with him last weekend, and we had a few instances of calling each other out for things the other was doing. Or one of us would have a "very strong opinion" about something. When I was younger I would have been alarmed, now I'm like, "Can you deal with this or not?"

We didn't see each other this weekend, partly to give each other space (it turns out I'm the first chick he's dated in a while as he just returned from a deployment). We'll see if we see each other next weekend.

...

On a positive note, I can say the dating scene in DC is different and some people aren't bothered by the distance. Downtown Arlington is cute and I could see myself there someday.

< Great Balls of Fire
Early June Update | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden)
European distance warning by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jun 02, 2019 at 02:46:15 PM EST
To actually enjoy a weekend , I would not bother going too far. Bologna in northern Italy, the Schwarzwald, or Alsace then out of Frankfurt. Get it wrong and you could be sitting in 3 hours of school holidays tailbacks.

I won't be driving by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jun 02, 2019 at 03:55:42 PM EST
I'll be taking the train from Zurich to Basel for my arrival for the conference on Tuesday, and I can travel from Basel (via train) on that Saturday to wherever and then fly out on Monday or Tuesday.

From what my FB friends told me and from my research, the best flights back to Philadelphia in terms of price are from either Zurich or Dusseldorf.

Ooh by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 12:53:29 AM EST
If Basel, a weekend in Alsace definitely is doable by train, and back to zrh. Colmar is beautiful.

Also by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 04, 2019 at 05:54:03 AM EST
You can rent e-bikes and tour the wine villages:)

Downtown Arlington is cute by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 07:34:14 AM EST
Which downtown? Ballston? Courthouse? Rosslyn? ;-)

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Goddamn IT, I meant by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 03:22:10 PM EST
Alexandria.
aren't they by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 07:52:02 PM EST
branding Columbia Pike as downtown?

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Shirlington ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 04, 2019 at 03:01:10 PM EST

the best part by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 05, 2019 at 05:53:44 PM EST
of Arlington IMHO

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Swiss advice by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 02:47:19 PM EST
It is a small country, so Google Maps is your friend; going to Bern it is often much cheaper flying to Zurich, Geneva or Basel and then going an hour or two by train.
-- The revolution will not be televised.
Basel by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jun 04, 2019 at 02:47:23 PM EST
The Basel airport is basically a low fares shed in France.

heh by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 03:35:35 PM EST

I'd love to have a partner but yeah, given the above I mostly can't be bothered. And for me there's mostly "no there there" anyway.

The Truth? by clock (4.00 / 2) #8 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 04:24:33 PM EST
If Stacky and I ever split or whatever, there's no way I'd date again. Full on fuck it. People are nuts and I can't be arsed to adjust to anyone again. Ugh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Dear Sir by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jun 04, 2019 at 05:23:27 AM EST
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

That's why I don't get poly by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #15 Tue Jun 04, 2019 at 03:18:05 PM EST
trying to work one relationship, and dating to add more?

Dating here is weird yeah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jun 03, 2019 at 07:53:17 PM EST
Like I'll cross the river to go into DC for dates, but cross the river for Maryland?  Just seems too far.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Dating ... by me0w (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Jun 05, 2019 at 06:36:43 AM EST
I thought about dating and then I realized that I really enjoy being single! I don't have to put up with anyone's shit. It's really very nice!

Early June Update | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden)