Print Story LO is 21
By yankeehack (Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 09:27:12 PM EST) (all tags)
I know everyone wanted yet another reminder of how old we all are, so here it goes...LO is now 21.

I know, right? Hard to believe.

With her advanced age and her newfound ability to enter drinking establishments at will (wherein she now texts me asking for beer recommendations), LO is facing the other event that early-twenty somethings face. Graduation and the real world.

LO isn't supposed to graduate until next year, but she only has one more full-time semester to get her degree and minor.

LO has no idea what she wants to do and the scientific job market - at least in terms of available internships - isn't helping. LO applied to something like 20 plus animal research/zoology internships nationwide with different organizations including museums back in February and she's been getting rejection emails steadily. She wrote to a few of the internships asking if they would have anything opening up later this year, and at least one responded citing funding cuts. The one thing she hasn't done is find herself a professor or lab on campus who she likes . "I'm not entirely sure I want to sit in a lab either," she told me.

On the upside, LO did get an unsolicited email from her internship last year the Philadelphia Zoo asking if she would like to return to a paid position for this summer. She is taking the interview tomorrow. She did well at her internship last year even though she wasn't 100% thrilled about zookeeping per se but she was even given access to researchers at the zoo.

If the science path does not work out this summer, LO is thinking of taking the LSAT. One of her BFFs is taking it, and I think LO believes she can do better than her BFF.

...

In other LO news, myself, LO and her roommate traveled to Dallas TX back in February because the service pup was entering into his Advanced Training program to become a real service dog. It was a bittersweet day when we had to turn him in, but the graduation service tugged at the heartstrings when 8 graduate dogs who had completed training were placed with their humans.

After that day, we stayed the weekend in Dallas and A) I don't think I need to return to Dallas anytime soon...we saw everything we needed to see and B) Kid found a party-size bag of coke behind the TV on our last night. We were staying in one of those Air BnBs. So what was fun. We disposed of it and swept the place in case there were more surprises lurking.

We didn't find any more substances but LO ended up stripping her bed to find a huge stain on the mattress. At that point, I was so annoyed I didn't care to check the mattress I was sleeping on. Mysteriously, the checkout instructions specifically asked us not to strip the beds before checkout. O_o

....

In other news, work is work.

....

There is some family drama that I was told about on Monday. My parents called me several times in a row (I thought something was wrong) and then when I reached them, they got chatty (they never get chatty). Them: So how are you and LO? Me: We're fine. Them: So how are you doing? Me: ? This went on for a good 20 minutes until...

So they spilled, they were at my brother's the night before for my sister-in-law's birthday. (Don't care, wasn't told about it.) And they were told that for my sister's 40th Birthday, both couples - my sister and her husband and my brother and his wife - will be going to Ireland to celebrate. They hadn't mentioned anything to me. My parents, on the other hand, were aghast this is going down. Anyway, I know what I won't be doing (watching their kids ever).

Also, the other gossip from the night is that my sister in law is going to quit her job and spend time with her kids this summer and then (allegedly) look for another job. She did this before and then bitched incessantly about how she "had to go to work."

...

Not much news on the dating front other than I stopped talking to the PhD Army dude because he was boring and never stopped talking about himself. I should have charged for the counseling sessions.

My current distraction has me searching in another city...at this point, why not? I have time.

< So, this is fascinating.
LO is 21 | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden)
jobs in the city by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 10:35:41 PM EST
so staying in philly, or still looking to move to CA ?

Were your parents asked to help fund the Ireland trip (or watch the kids) ?

And please, tell LO: don't go to law school.

After running my budget by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:06:02 PM EST
for the past few months and searching for places, I don't think I am going to make the move out there anytime soon.

Also, they decided to keep the office in mid-penninsula rather than move, which is where housing is the worst. We just hired a new salesperson, and he's also remote.

I don't see it happening unless it can come together smoothly.

Also by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:07:35 PM EST
my parents didn't let on if they were asked to do anything for the trip, but they are not able to care for the grandkids longer than a few hours.
Why is she going for internships.. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 10:55:28 PM EST
...rather than grad school?

The internships by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:09:13 PM EST
are for this summer, she still has to go back in the fall.

As for grad school, she knows she doesn't really want to do the 4+1 the school offers, but she hasn't decided about other programs just yet.

I thought of you yesterday by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 09, 2019 at 11:50:42 PM EST
I was getting my car washed at Buc-ee's and there are bluebonnets blooming in the field in front of it. Just when you thought nothing could be more Texas than Buc-ee's, add bluebonnets.

aww yeah! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:28:59 AM EST
we'll be in Big D this saturday, looking forward to stocking up on Buc-ees shirts!

Awww by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:14:41 PM EST
thanks... I still haven't seen the bluebells in person. At the puppy graduation, they had a slideshow of the puppies with their raisers and a few of the Texas-raised puppies had bluebell pics.

I cried in public. Like tears running down my face as I watched that.

Also, a few weeks after LO was back in Louisiana she was invited to a Buc-ees themed party. I was amused since now she understood the reference.

BONNETS by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Apr 11, 2019 at 08:12:23 PM EST
blueBONNETS

Not sure about biology by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 06:56:42 AM EST
 but in the physical sciences, having lab experience, as in working in a professor's lab, is really a plus if she wants to go to grad school. And, I would think, if she wants a job elsewhere in science-oriented industry or institutions. A mentor who has direct experience and can write a good letter of recommendation is gold.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Also... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 07:23:58 AM EST
Wow. 21, eh?

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

From what LO by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:30:18 PM EST
has said, I don't think she has the personal connection she needs to get into a professors lab or research project.

She does go to office hours and she's a personable kid, but I don't think there's anything on campus she is excited about. (Mind you, she heard about raising a puppy and once she arrived on campus, joined the club and did everything to become a puppy raiser.)

She also went through multiple advisors (she dropped a major after the first advisor change and the second was yet another switch) and she's switched minors because the one advisor was unpredictable.

If she was excited about something, she would definitely act upon it. That's why I was hoping she'd find an internship and get to see another part of that world.

Dallas by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 08:48:37 AM EST
I've only been to Dallas on my way to someplace else.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Exactly by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:35:20 PM EST
the driving was stressful as the lane changes (i.e. you need to cross 6 lanes of traffic to get off at the next exit) was a PITA. Also people honk their horns a lot in Dallas.

We did get to experience the stacked overpasses. That was something.

I only had a few days in northern Dallas by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Apr 11, 2019 at 09:54:21 AM EST
and was close enough to the customer that while traffic was heavy, I could deal with it.

I also met Alprazolam at a Catholic school girl themed club in Plano, and became a member for a night.

I'm not aware of too many lawyers that are doing well, it seems like a crowded field.

When I was driving by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Apr 11, 2019 at 07:45:02 PM EST
LO, her roommate, and the puppy to the training center LO started narrating the billboards.

"Wait, what's Spearmint Rhino again?"

lab jobs by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:31:22 AM EST
when I was a recently graduated science person and had a hard time finding a job, I found a company called Lab Support - a temp agency for labs.  A quick google tells me they still exist and have a Philly location.  So, if she's unsure about lab work, maybe signing on with them for a short assignment will let her know for sure if it's something she's interested in.  Also. she can get lab experience that way, which could help with other jobs.  Just a thought.

I will by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:39:33 PM EST
have to mention it to LO.
Lamb graduates next month. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 10:58:42 AM EST
and she's not planning to come home if she can avoid it. She's looking at a fellowship in Boston but she doesn't think it pays enough to make living in Boston possible, but also looking at a bunch of options in the Baltimore area so she can continue living with her friends.

Apparently her relationship with her GF is ending amicably (she says) because GF lives in NYC with her apparently well-to-do family, although GF is planning to attend Lamb's graduation.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Charm City by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 11:31:42 AM EST
I have a couple friends living there, and the cost of living is pretty low. In three blocks you can go from a really nice neighborhood to The Hood. ,p>The area around Johns Hopkins is apparently really exciting after dark.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Makes me think of Temple U in Philadelphia by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 11:54:44 AM EST
an island of polite college kids surrounded by the reality of being poor in the city.

It's an, errr, exciting dynamic.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Oooooo by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Apr 10, 2019 at 09:42:43 PM EST
Congratulations!!!

I think part of LOs uncertainty is that her campus friends are not yet onto the next step. Her long distance not-a-boyfriend from up here has a job lined up in Chicago after his graduation this May.

LO is 21 | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden)