Print Story Buggeration
Fear
By anonimouse (Wed Mar 20, 2019 at 09:03:27 AM EST) (all tags)
 Things are not well in the anonimouse world.

But before that I'm going to say nice things about Intel

Props to Intel

I bought one of their mini NUC Skull Canyon devices a few years ago. A proper i7, 2 1TB flash drives and 32GB of RAM in something the size of a DVD case was great in my opinion.

Only problem with it is the fan. After a while it gets a little noisy and the traditional remedy is to open her up, blow off the dust and close again. This worked the first few times, but this time when I did it the fan didn't prevent the unit overheating.

Anyway after a few questions, Intel were very nice about it. I put my old unit in a padded Jiffy bag, sent it off with DHL and on Monday got a new box in the mail. I put my drives and memory in the new box and was back going almost immediately. Didn't even have any problem with Windows 10 complaining.

What I'm watching

Love Death and Robots on Netflix is a series of short 5 to 15 minute episodes relating to the subject of the title. They're variable in quality but I definitely recommend watching at least the first two.

I screwed up - twice

I fucked up my now previous role. I submitted some code for code review and during the course of that review I refused to change some code that was queried because I believed (and still do) that my way was better. The argument got escalated and I came out second best, getting removed from the project for 'not working well with the other team members'. I got a new contract after 3 weeks but unfortunately its 120 miles away from either of my homes and I learned too late that they have a very slow pay schedule, I need to work out a way out of this whilst getting paid.

Memo to self: remember as a contractor Thou Shalt Have No Principles.

I do almost have an exit route planned. I've just passed 2 stages of a 3 stage interview process with flying colours for a well paid role in London. I'm hoping I get invited for round 3 so I then can work out how to get from A to B. But knowing the way my luck has been going, they'll probably choose another candidate.

< Pull yourself together and act like a scientist | Zombie April Fool's day wake for MDC >
Buggeration | 7 comments (7 topical, 1 hidden)
I was tempted to buy one of those NUCs by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 20, 2019 at 01:34:54 PM EST
but I didn't have a good enough reason to buy one instead of the Raspberry Pi I ended up with instead.

In any case, I'm not real fond of Intel right now...

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I only have bad things to say about Intel by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Mar 20, 2019 at 07:55:40 PM EST
I was pretty shocked about how dishonest they were over the whole Meltdown situation and as you can see I'm still not over it.

But it's good to know they're doing decent customer service.

See you, space cowboy.

The one problem with the NUCs I have by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 21, 2019 at 07:02:38 AM EST
Lack of USB and full-size display outs.  I have a Lenovo Tiny on my desk that has USB ports for days and three (!) DisplayPort outs.

Not sure what the problem is by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Mar 21, 2019 at 08:53:05 AM EST
Skull Canyon has one full HDMI and one Thunderbolt/USB-C display out.

Hades Canyon has front and rear HDMI ports, Display port and 2 mini display ports (up to 6 monitors)

Both have lots of USB ports

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
The Canyons are the enthusiast models. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 22, 2019 at 05:05:32 AM EST
Regular NUCs have a Mac Mini form factor and one HDMI out. Still usually have lots of USB and an SD card slot though.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Priniples by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Apr 06, 2019 at 09:22:59 PM EST
I work for one of the largest corporations on the planet.  I have no principles.

---------------
Buggeration | 7 comments (7 topical, 1 hidden)