Print Story Ouch
Cycling
By hulver (Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 07:27:23 AM EST) (all tags)
I fell off my bike this morning on the way to work.

I was coming down a hill towards the main road, when I noticed that traffic was queuing across the mini roundabout and back up the main road.

Ah ha! Thinks I. I'll cut across the pub car park on the corner, and join the traffic further down.

So I go to get up on the footpath at a dropped kerb, to see as I rapidly approached it that the dropped kerb wasn't dropped that far.

I'm going to come off thinks I, as the bike doesn't mount the kerb but slides along side it as I carry on heading left.

Thump, cue rapid deceleration as I tip over sideways and slide along the pavement.

Several people stop and help as I lie on the floor trying to work out if I'm badly hurt or not. My head and knee hurt, and I took a whack to the upper body.

One of the people who stopped flags down a passing ambulance who happened to be driving past.

I'm sat on the floor taking stock of things, but it looks like I've got away fairly lightly.

"Your head is bleeding" says somebody who stopped, so I press my buff against it.

The ambulance people help me up. I can stand without wobbling, no dizzyness. I thank everybody who stopped to help, and the ambulance crew offer to give me a lift back up the hill to home as it's so close.

I've not assessed the bike properly yet, but there's a least one thing wrong with it. The brake lever on the left side is bent. Not sure what else is wrong, but bound to be more.

So, I'm at home now. Wounds washed. Graze to my knee, graze to my head. Chest feels like I've been sat on a bit.

Excuse the messy bedroom.

Image showing grazed skin on forehead

< Where Do I Begin? | OUT of the BLUE >
Ouch | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden)
A bit hypocritical by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 08:10:16 AM EST
...but someone should be wearing head gear

Get better soon

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
This was my immediate thought by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 01:03:30 PM EST
I always wear a helmet when riding. Bicycle or motorcycle.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Ow ow ow. by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 08:42:48 AM EST
Please take care of yourself. We need that head to be functional!

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Aye by hulver (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 06:14:37 AM EST
That's my preferred option as well.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Yow! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 10:11:44 AM EST
Very sorry it happened and very glad it wasn't worse!

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Thank you by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 06:14:17 AM EST
Me too.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Can you bunny-hop? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 11:17:31 AM EST
Bunny hopping curbs and longitudinal cracks should be taught to all riders as a best practice. As long as you get the front wheel off the ground and safety over the obstacle, the risk of a crash like yours drops significantly. I hop most driveway entrances and curbs on my regular commute route.

I don't cross rail tracks very often anymore, but the same principles apply there - get as close to 90 degrees as you can, ride at an appropriate speed, and then bunny hop every curb ftw.

Some other mountain biking skills are quite useful in urban environments. I don't do big jumps on dirt, but I'll jump the 15cm drop from multi-use paths onto roadways all the time, even with road bikes. Potholes, roadway debris, and similar hazards can also be hopped at speed, which can be safer than swerving into traffic, or making a hard last-second turn at speed. You also don't need to shoulder check to hop over something.

Try it on fixed by Herring (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 02:45:51 PM EST
and get back to me

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Different breed by marvin (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 03:15:35 PM EST
Riding a fixie is pretty much advertising that you have a death wish, especially when large elements of that subculture spurn brakes.

Blood and broken bones is an expectation, not an exception.

Sort of by hulver (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 06:13:53 AM EST
It all happened a bit too quick though. I had the conscious thought that I should do something, but that took too long. I didn't have any ingrained behaviour to take over while I was still thinking about what to do.

I had a pannier full of stuff on the back as well, the guy who picked my bike up afterwards asked what the hell I had on the back as it was so heavy.

All in all, it was just down to poor judgement on my part.

When I drop S1 off at the childminder, there is another hill I have to go down compared to coming from home. If I tuck in my arms and crouch down over the bars down that hill, I can coast up the next. I did that, then decided to tuck in again down my normal hill, instead of taking it a bit easy like I usually do (it's a greasy road, a fair few pot holes and occasionally diesel spills make taking it easy a sensible thing to do).

As I had some speed up when I approached the traffic my first thought was keeping that speed, not doing the sensible thing.

Paying for it now.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Even unweighting makes a difference by marvin (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 09:30:09 AM EST
Especially with front wheel.

I rarely get the rear off the ground with loaded panniers, but I lift/unweight it enough to reduce the risk of pinch flats or rim damage (replacing rims sucks).

It's a lot more recoverable if only the rear gets caught by the crack. Usually it will slide for a half second before tracking behind the front wheel.

More than likely by hulver (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 12:09:59 PM EST
I need to practise it so that I get a bit of muscle memory for it.

Or just slow down and stop being a dick :-)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I was discussing by Herring (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 02:10:51 PM EST
with people I know - including a BC level 3 coach - and we agreed that off-road experience helps with general bike handling. Excuse to buy a mountain bike.

I've almost come off like that with a long crack in the road and riding in a group so limited room to manoeuvre.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Slow down and stop being a dick? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Feb 20, 2019 at 01:43:02 AM EST
Where's the fun in that?

Is that some kind of code phrase which indicates your intent to take up walking instead?

Walking? by hulver (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Feb 20, 2019 at 11:29:39 AM EST
That's what you do when you can't quite cycle up that hill isn't it?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Ow by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 08:26:48 PM EST
Glad it wasn't worse.

Iambic Web Certified

It could have been much worse by hulver (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 06:15:19 AM EST
I'm glad it wasn't. Thanks.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Ouch! by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 12:03:30 AM EST
Looks nasty... take care of that head!
Looks worse than it feels. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 06:23:25 AM EST
The head is mostly ok now. Doesn't really hurt much. No headaches or anything thankfully.

The worst thing is the muscle aches in my upper body due to landing on that pretty hard. I'm struggling to pick heavy things (such as wriggling baby boys) up. Which is a real pain.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

WEAR A HELMET!!!! by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Feb 19, 2019 at 01:53:57 PM EST
Seriously.  One probably saved my life when I got hit and so many brain injuries happen in the most mundane circumstances it's better just to wear one.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
You gotta protect your brains!!!! by me0w (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Feb 20, 2019 at 06:34:14 AM EST
A helmet, Sir! They are not just for kids.

Ouch by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Feb 20, 2019 at 06:03:04 PM EST
I am sorry for your sore scalp, and hope that you move away from all those nasty hills to the flatlands before too long.

So how are you healing? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Feb 27, 2019 at 04:48:30 PM EST
I have to think scabs on the scalp must itch like crazy.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It's not been too itchy. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Feb 28, 2019 at 10:52:19 AM EST
Hard to spot the damage now along side all the Acne.

Knee still has a pretty big scab on it, but no real pain there.

Shoulder muscles and back still aching, but getting better.

Could have been worse.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Ouch | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden)