Print Story Where Do I Begin?
By atreides (Thu Feb 14, 2019 at 11:49:35 PM EST) (all tags)
It's been so long. And it's all my fault. I've generally stopped talking about myself because, quite honestly, I've often thought that nobody cares about a great many things I might have to say. On a certain level, that's a little sad. On another, it's somewhat liberating. If nobody cares, then it doesn't matter what I do.

The Bad:

At the end of August, my mother (the adopted one, not my real one. I haven't spoken to her in almost a year and a half for reasons) got really sick. I spent a month of nights making sure she got her meds and had someone to take care of things when the pain or vomit or whatever became too much.

In June my company (well, my division) got bought out by another company. At the beginning of September, I was informed that I would not be surviving the second round of layoffs. That happened at the end of September.

In the middle of September, my roommate informed me as gently as he could that I was going to have to move near the end of the month. His fiance has a daughter living with her ex-husband. The ex-husband and his parents started getting physically abusive with her so, instead of moving here to go to college in a couple of years, she needed to come here NOW. And I had the spare room they needed.

So there I was, jobless and staying with friends but I at least had a place to stay. And then I went on a small road trip to get away from my problems for a couple of days. I hit a freak rain storm, spun out, and my car went ass first into a tree.

As you can imagine, I've been depressed for a while.

The Good:

In January, my old job gave me a call. The figured out that they actually needed staff for things so they brought me back with a raise. A slightly different position, but more interesting and using more of my previous experience with law and government agencies. March I'll be picking up a new-to-me car. It's getting better.

Then, of course, there's the Duchess and the Despoina.

The Duchess is full of life and carved out of wood. We call her Danger Girl because she has no fear. She's charming and gregarious as all get out and smarter than hell. Unfortunately, she has a bit of an inferiority complex because, as smart as she is, she is in her sister's shadow.

The Despoina is sweet and goofy. For the last few years, we've been flirting with jumping her forward a grade. This past year it happened. She skipped 4th Grade. So now we're looking at middle schools for her. She also just got a cell phone and may be beginning to have a boyfriend. I'm not sure how I feel about that last part...

I've had a few relationships. A local soul singer, a baker, an unfortunately borderline insane loan officer (she was often fun and the sex was great), an accountant who I believe I am still desperately yearning for... Most are just the past. A few I would take back in a heartbeat if I could.

And I've taken up the hobby of geocaching. It got me through some rough times. And it's been the focus of my writing. That's how Geocaching While Black came about. Being out on the road, going from town to town has been the first thing to put a true smile on my face in a very long time.

I'm working on starting a a podcast. I probably won't be able to go to Buenos Aires for the eclipse, but I may go to Istanbul. I might be picking up matching wands for me and the Despoina and matching sonic screwdrivers for me and the Duchess. I'm looking forward to the future. and it's been a long time since I've done that.

And there it is. Of course, there's more history and more details, but that's where I am. It's not pretty, but it's where I am. And I'm not entirely disappointed. And it's getting better.

< To The Emperor! | Ouch >
Where Do I Begin? | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
Not Constantinople? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 15, 2019 at 09:57:32 AM EST
I like hearing about other people's troubles. Not in a schadenfreude sort of way, but knowing that other people are in similar straits.

We have the usual financial struggles, and Mrs. Ha's minimum wage physically demanding job as a cashier is taking it's toll on her shoulders. She needs to find something before she permanently ruins them. Something paying more than minimum wage would be even better.

She says Geminis always struggle with money, which is not encouraging.

The kids are good, and seventeen_year_old is off to college in the fall, which may mean more money issues.

Travel sites don't look kindly on that name. :( by atreides (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Feb 17, 2019 at 08:27:45 PM EST
Hey by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 15, 2019 at 11:06:13 AM EST
So now I have to go read that entire blog. I'm glad to see someone else finding a hobby that brings joy and doesn't feed into some greater plan. It's fun. Good!

I do hope your troubles resolve favorably. And the next time I'm in Austin (probably soon) I'll get you for dinner. It's been too long.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

When might that be? by atreides (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Feb 17, 2019 at 08:28:58 PM EST
And there's nothing saying I can't make a caching trip to the Northeast...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Austin by clock (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 22, 2019 at 08:26:50 AM EST
Looking like I'll be there the week of 11-March. I will keep you apprised of my plans. I'm sure there will be a work dinner, but I don't like those people as much as I like you, so maybe we can figure it out.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Don't leave it so 'effin long next time by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 15, 2019 at 03:36:42 PM EST
We do care about you and what you have to say, and praising the Emperor Norton doesn't cut it.

So write more often 'mkay?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Look at you making me feel all wanted and crap! by atreides (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Feb 17, 2019 at 08:30:07 PM EST
Geocaching by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 15, 2019 at 07:12:49 PM EST
If ever you find yourself in Northern Virginia or Central PA or NE PA I have cache recommendations for ya.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
You don't have to tell me twice! by atreides (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Feb 17, 2019 at 08:31:33 PM EST
In fact, I was just mentioning that a caching trip to the Northeast might be a good idea...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Hello! by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Feb 16, 2019 at 09:40:02 PM EST
Let it be known, HuSi readers, that the Emperor gives some of the best hugs in Christendom and beyond. I need to go back to Austin for more of those, plus good talks and getting to see the Duchess and the Despoina. (He's also a pretty good dad.)

I'm glad a job appeared and hope it's going well. The blog is really cool. Over 100 entries and you're just now telling us about it?!

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I wasn't thinking about longevity... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Feb 17, 2019 at 07:53:58 PM EST
...when I started it. I just kept writing and one day it gave me a notice that I had published my hundredth entry. And I'm not even close to done yet. I've only completed county #66 at this point. That means 188 more entries minimum. And that's not even considering filler between counties... :(

That said, when do you return?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I'm back but with a companion this spring by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Feb 17, 2019 at 08:35:15 PM EST
I'll have someone with me next time I'm in town. I think you'd think she was pretty cool, but there would be 3rd wheel trade-offs.

Trying to lure another local university, but I'll keep you posted.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Where Do I Begin? | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)