Print Story New job
Wizards and Hobbits
By hulver (Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 12:18:00 PM EST) (all tags)
Inside.

I have a new job.
Looking to move house.
Baby stuff.
Money stuff.

So, I have a new job. After working for my (soon to be ex) employer for nearly 12 years, it's time to move on.

Biggest reason for doing so is that we want to move to be closer to my family. This has always been our long term plan. We are living where we are now because that's where my kids were going to school.

Now that D1 has got a job, and D2 is going to Uni at the end of the year, we're looking to move somewhere closer to my brother and parents.

Thing is, that it's more expensive to live around where they are. Which is a shame. My new job does pay more, but we'll be losing that increase either in commuting costs, or housing costs.

I'll be commuting for a while, until we sell the house and find somewhere else to live. That will be a bit tedious. The commuting, and the selling the house.

S1 is doing great. He's been settling in at the childminder while RR starts going back to work. She'll be doing 3 days a week when she's back fully. She's doing 1 day a week at the moment, but S1 is in childcare 3 days to get used to it. We're building up the hours gradually.

He's growing so quick. He's already standing unaided (for short amounts of time, until he finds something more interesting to do). He's a bit of a monster. In the 97th centile for height and weight. (See here). He looks older than he is because he's so big. They are a baby for such a short amount of time.

Money. Here's where it sounds like I'm begging, because I am a bit. Ever since Liberapay lost their funding method, donations have dropped off. I think I've only had 2 since, and only 1 recently. As RR's maternity pay has finished we (as a family) have had our expenses exceeding our income for the last few months. We did plan for this, and put money aside to cope with it, but still the credit card bills are mounting up.

So, just to say, if you want to chip in a few quid to help towards the running costs of HuSi and hulvr now would be a fantastic time to do so and I'd be really grateful.

Sorry this is so brief. I've become increasingly wary of sharing stuff online now, and this does seem to reduce the quality and frequency of these entries.

In summary, life here is going ok. I hope you're all well.

< Meta 2 | To The Emperor! >
New job | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden)
Where do we donate? by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 12:27:30 PM EST
Click the thing at the bottom?  Or is there a better place?

PayPal it's the only way by hulver (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 01:04:10 PM EST
I'm afraid. Even liberapay uses PayPal now. So the donate link at the bottom should work. The white one goes straight to PayPal.
excellent by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 03:20:46 PM EST
on my phone it was showing the white "donate" and the yellow lp one, i was confused.

monies on the way!

Yes by hulver (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 03:36:09 PM EST
I checked after you said that and removed the other one.

And thank you so much.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

no, thank you! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 01:33:09 PM EST
you keep us going!

Monies by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 01:01:00 PM EST
In thy PayPal.

Thank you very much by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 01:15:49 PM EST

It's token by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 06:09:09 PM EST
But I popped a fiver across.

Thank you for this community and good luck with the job then life move.

Thank you so much by hulver (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 06:11:57 PM EST
That really means a lot.
Best of luck by ana (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 06:29:34 PM EST
With the move, the new job, all of it.

One forgets how much this place costs, and to donate. I think I had signed up for That Other Service and then it folded. Thanks for the reminder to pay attention to the finances.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Thank you so much by hulver (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 01:40:10 AM EST
You're certainly further along with your moving plans than we are. We don't even know where we're going yet.
Good luck by motty (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 07:20:45 PM EST
High time I resubscribed. Done.

While I'm about it, also high time I requested an invite to hulvr.

High time I diarised also. This new job thing is perhaps contagious?

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T

Thank you very much. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 01:44:03 AM EST
You should diahrise asap. I've seen you pop up occasionally on Twitter. I will drop you a hulvr invite.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
librepay actually started spamming me recently by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 12, 2019 at 07:43:57 PM EST
to renew my donation but it was for a really weird amount, something like 0.25 GDP.

Anyway, I hit the button, too.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Yeah, it's gone really weird by hulver (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 01:46:07 AM EST
I get an email every week with a random figure in it, but no money. I did get a lump sum once when somebody renewed their money. They just send you the whole lump now, then send you an email every week saying how much off it you should use.
Lump sum by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 05:28:56 AM EST
Yeah, I figured that was the logical thing to do as from my pov it makes no difference when it leaves me, but it may make a big difference when it gets to you so that's most efficient. Now it's basically a glorified reminders system rather than a payment platform.

Thank you by hulver (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 05:34:58 AM EST
It was very helpful when it arrived. Much appreciated.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Donated! by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 12:45:34 AM EST
Must write a diary sometime, I'm overdue.
Thank you so much by hulver (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Feb 13, 2019 at 01:47:48 AM EST
And yes, you should. I've missed your diaries.
Just dropped, umm by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Feb 14, 2019 at 07:20:18 PM EST
carry the one... Should be about 80 Brexit Loving Pounds. Which is about 5 ¾ stones, I think.

I figure I pay a lot more than that for The Economist.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Thank you very much. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Feb 15, 2019 at 10:39:21 AM EST
Much appreciated.
sent some $ by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Feb 14, 2019 at 10:03:29 PM EST
Send me a hulvr invite por favor...not sure how I missed that first time around.

Thank you by hulver (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Feb 15, 2019 at 10:39:38 AM EST
I've sent you a PM with an invite link.
Bit late, but... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #24 Sun Feb 17, 2019 at 03:51:55 PM EST
I donated what I could.

Thank you, that's very kind. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #25 Mon Feb 18, 2019 at 06:05:33 AM EST
This has all been a really big help.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
New job | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden)