Print Story I had a diary all READY
Fear
By Gedvondur (Tue Oct 08, 2019 at 01:55:35 PM EST) Being a Tool vs Restoring Them, Personal, Home (all tags)
But it got far too personal and maudlin, even for my friends here.

So fuck that.

I've been busy and I want to go home. I'm tired of Sin City. Good food and entertainment, but you know what?  I don't like big cities that much. Too crowded, lacking in any peace. Its never not busy. I find that I need to go outside sometimes and find peace. You don't get that here.

Back to Wisconsin next year. I'm going to try some hobbies that might have some passion. I'm going to finish my book. I'm going to restore things. Tools, objects. Not just cast iron pans. I'm always loved repairing things, but when the job gets filthy and macro like restoring cars, I lose interest. Plus that shit takes up a lot of space, money and time. I've been watching videos from guys like my_mechanics on youtube and I want to restore tools, small appliances, that kind of thing.  So when I get back, that's what I'm gonna do.

What are you gonna do?

< Another Funeral?
I had a diary all READY | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
I would like to clean and purge our house by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 09:13:03 AM EST
and garage. There are two decades of accumulation, lots of stuff that can be donated, trashed or put to better use.

With an emptier house and garage, I could better organize my life, and maybe enjoy hobbies.

like a bike or two ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 01:12:22 PM EST

Definitely, I can probably donate four bicycles by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 01:41:33 PM EST
to some worthy cause, that would free room in the garage.

As far as the other, when I last left the Kawi, it would only run a few minutes. If I could figure out and fix that, why then I'd need a few hundred for new tires.

After that, the Honda.

Nothing makes keep or kill decisions by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 02:37:34 PM EST
Like moving. I've moved three times in the last seven years, twice in the last three. We still have too much shit, but are working on it.

Building a radio by clock (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 11:17:12 AM EST
I've got a kit that requires a little work, but it's mostly a platform for tweaking. I'll get the base built and hopefully do Winter Field Day with my dad. Then I'll tweak it. And build another. And then something else.

I've got my eye on playing with solar if we ever get our house figured out and do something wild like get a cabin or something.

I never knew how important hobbies were until I got one.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

They are important by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 02:35:46 PM EST
I've got too many is my issue. So I'm paring things down and focusing a little.

mrs on schedule to graduate ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 01:12:42 PM EST
or is this unilateral ?

On schedule by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 02:34:53 PM EST
She's a champ, three years and done.  I do not see any reason why she won't be done by spring. She can take longer if she needs it with no pressure, but she says its not a problem.  She's got comps and dissertation.

My new hobby: by miserere (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 03:17:16 PM EST
Home improvement! I find myself getting really excited about stuff like laying laminate flooring, or sanding baseboards, or scraping old paint off the staircase. I'm even excited about stripping wallpaper from the dining room! It feels really good, and I'm learning a lot, and I feel much more confident about this homeownership journey that I'm on.

I just have to remember that I don't have a deadline for these projects, so I don't have to push myself to DO ALL THE THINGS right at this moment.

We have a long weekend coming up, though, and I'm looking forward to a few days of being able to do stuff in my house.

Heh, yes by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Oct 09, 2019 at 09:47:16 PM EST
I don't even like home improvement and I want to do some. For the first time since 1996, I've not owned my own house. Almost 2.5 years now  since we moved and I sold the house.

Thing I like about home improvement now, rather than when I bought my first house in 1996 - YouTube has a tutorial for everything. Maybe not *quite* right but enough to keep me from making huge mistakes. :-)

Yes! by miserere (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Oct 10, 2019 at 11:29:39 AM EST
Youtube is the best for keeping myself from doing stupid things, or from not considering something as I plan that I should be (e.g., I hadn't even thought about what to do about the ends of shoe molding at the door frame. Should it just end with a 90 degree cut? A 45 degree cut? Or, as someone on youtube helpfully suggested, should I have a decorative block on the door frame that the shoe molding can dead-end into). It's awesome!

I had a diary all READY | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)