Print Story Another Funeral?
By atreides (Mon Oct 07, 2019 at 01:56:10 AM EST) (all tags)
My father's brother died. Luckily, the funeral was not as...interesting as my father's funeral, but the same cast of characters was involved.

A certain lack of planning was evident like when I found out I was a pallbearer from reading the program or when the funeral procession went out on I-10. But the thing got done and family gathered without drama or trouble.

Have I ever told you that my father was adopted? He and my uncle (but not their sister, strangely enough) were both adopted by my grandparents. As a sidenote, my grandmother was also my second cousin thrice removed. While my uncle retained his given name, my father chose to change his. How he came to this conclusion at such a young age I do not know.

Why did I tell you all that? Because you wouldn't understand how strange it would be to spend a day around people who, about half the time, refer to your father by his birth name and not the name you grew up with.

And that, I think, is all I have to say about that.

< It was a ROCK LOBSTER! | I had a diary all READY >
Another Funeral? | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
I'm sorry to hear it. by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Oct 07, 2019 at 07:41:01 AM EST
Funerals seem to pick up frequency at our age.

From another point of view, is it just me or does family get stranger the older we get? The things we learn over time and the strangeness that we put together like little puzzles along the way make for interesting conversations on the drive home from such a gathering. But man, it's weird stuff.

Still keeping up to date on your project. I really enjoy it.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

He was sick a long time... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Oct 07, 2019 at 11:44:20 AM EST
...so it was hardly a surprise. I don't think it's that things get any stranger. They're always strange, we become more aware of the dynamics.

That said, I'm glad you're enjoying my travels. You know, I'm hoping to expand my journeys at some point so maybe I could crash for a night or two if I make it up there...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Please do! by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 07, 2019 at 08:08:13 PM EST
Our home is always open to you and yours, my friend.

We’ve got a lot if historic sites around here. Probably a lot of things for you to find.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

RIP by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 07, 2019 at 04:17:05 PM EST
As long as it gets done I guess.
So um In texas? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Oct 18, 2019 at 12:57:26 AM EST
Do the same funeral procession rules apply on actual Interstates??

And is that thrice removed accurate (I get the twice etc confused ) but I thought thrice would mean three generations from you ( so great-grand level ) + second cousin. That's wild.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

Another Funeral? | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)