Print Story Something remarkable
Religion & Philosophy
By ana (Sun Jan 27, 2019 at 09:10:04 AM EST) (all tags)
I'm not sure how to even approach this experience, except to say it's remarkable.

Under the cut, the remarks.

There's this thing that started out being just a radio interview program, called OnBeing, which you can find online at onbeing.org, or, here in the US at least, probably on a public radio station near you. The host is a polymath, Krista Tippett, who interviews influential people, thinkers, wise people, about, well, to quote the title of her book, Being Wise. I find every interview fascinating. For example the episode for this week was with Glennon Doyle, of Momastery fame, and Abby Wambach, her wife, and oh incidentally an international soccer star. About life, activism, alcoholism, bulimia, recovery, parenting, you name it. It was fascinating.

Anyway. At the end of every episode, by way of credits, they say, "OnBeing is..." and then everybody involved speaks their name. It's an effective radio moment, hearing the variety of names, voices, the timbre of this identifying sound spoken in the voice of the person herself (or himself). It's very cool. And most of the voices are, well, the ordinary assortment of voices. And then, three-quarters of the way through the list, is "Lillian Rowe." Her voice is higher pitched than most everyone else's; she's making an effort, I think, not to let the pitch drop at the end...

And I know only two things about this person. One, she works for OnBeing, which is very cool. Two, the sound of her voice, pronouncing her name.

And somehow, it makes a happy place in every Sunday morning for me, just to hear that.
< I went on a training course yesterday | Apparently I'm further out of it than I thought. >
Something remarkable | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
on being is pretty amazing by gzt (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jan 27, 2019 at 02:29:54 PM EST
I once saw somebody talk about being on the show and apparently Krista Tippett does an amazing and remarkable amount of preparation - I think it was an author and they said she knew all their works inside and out.

"Did I write that?" by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jan 27, 2019 at 03:13:12 PM EST
A successful interview with an author will include at least one instance of this question. She's amazing.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

+1 FP by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Jan 27, 2019 at 05:03:15 PM EST
 Something about this.

---------------
we have a big Abby Wambach fan by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jan 29, 2019 at 09:31:05 AM EST
in my household.

Had to explain that she retired, which is why you can't play as her in FIFA 19 (video game).

Love it by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jan 31, 2019 at 09:57:05 AM EST
Both the show and your connection.

As gzt mentioned, her level of preparedness in caring about who she's talking with is most impressive, a model for attention.

The show is also beautifully edited - I mostly listen to the unedited interviews in the podcast feed, which can have some rough edges of conversational deadends. Her team draws a great thread through in the produced versions.

Something remarkable | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)