Print Story I went on a training course yesterday
Cycling
By hulver (Thu Jan 24, 2019 at 09:14:59 AM EST) (all tags)
We still only have one car after we had to scrap the last one, so as it was close to home I decided to cycle it. Only 8.5 miles, less than an hours cycling.

It was cold. Not Canada cold, but certainly UK cold. Was under 0 degrees C the whole way. Big frozen puddles by the side of the road.

I cycled in the middle of the lane, well away from the frozen bits at the edges. Not much traffic anyway as it was all back roads. Anybody that did come past left plenty of room, so that was nice.

I did set Strava to record the ride on the way in, but I had my phone in powersave mode (the battery is getting a bit old and sometimes it won't last through the day if I don't) which stops apps running on the phone getting location data when the phone is locked.

So I got a bit of a surprise when I stopped the ride and Strava said "We can't record this ride because you've not moved". Bugger.

I made sure to record it on the way home. (Strava Link, Relive video of the ride)

My feet were like blocks of ice when I got there in the morning. Took a while to warm back up again.

The course was ok. I've not been on a training course for a while. This was on workplace first aid, so I'm now a qualified first aider. Was a nice day out anyway.

While the journey in was cold, it was mostly ok. I even quite enjoyed it. I wasn't aiming to ride it quickly or anything.

I did not enjoy the journey home though. It was equally as cold, but now all my cycling clothing was still damp after the journey in. I had dried a base layer top out under the hand dryer, but the bib longs I was wearing were damp, the jersey was damp, the jacket was damp, the buffs were damp.

I was tired and hungry and seemed to be cycling through treacle. To be fair, it felt a lot slower than it was. Not helped by being overtaken by a fitter person on the way.

Stats.

Total cycled - about 17 miles.
Time. Roughly 1hr 45 minutes.
Speed. 9.8 mph.

Turns out the route home was mostly up a gradual slope, which is why the journey in was nicer than the way home. I did end up feeling that I'm never going to be fit enough for long distance stuff again though.

Cycling miserable and hating it. Perfect Audax training.

I'm not too discouraged though. I'm losing weight, I'm certainly far fitter than I was 6 months ago.

So, there's that.

< Hey, I know. | Something remarkable >
I went on a training course yesterday | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
Ride incentives by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jan 24, 2019 at 09:35:09 AM EST
Rather than hating yourself for not being LEL ready, have you tried small incentives.

Mine are chocolate at work on days I ride, and getting to wear the nice shoes which I leave at the office.

I love those hand made shoes, and it reinforces positive feelings about cycling. Driving to work feels like punishment now.

Progress is good! by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jan 24, 2019 at 09:44:14 AM EST
This is all great to hear.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Doing better than I am. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jan 24, 2019 at 11:20:38 AM EST
I've put on 5 pounds since Halloween, and have only ridden once this month.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Fizik has a nice pair of MTB boots by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jan 24, 2019 at 10:52:39 PM EST
I've been riding MTB pedals on my commuter for ages now. Just this week I purchased a pair of Fizik's x5 artica winter boots.

At 10°F, my feet were cold after 30min, uncomfortably cold after 40min, and painfully cold after 50min.

At 30°F, my feet were cold, but not uncomfortably cold after 60min.

At 36°F, my feet were still warm after 60min.

Cicero, The Republic
Reading through reviews of those by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 25, 2019 at 06:42:37 AM EST
They're apparently fairly narrow, like many European shoes, and probably wouldn't work for me. My shoe size is 9 1/2 EEEE.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I typically wear 10 1/2 eee or eeee by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Jan 26, 2019 at 08:48:01 AM EST
I went a half size up (EU 44 1/2) and they fit fine for me.

They also come with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. So if you order some and they don't fit, you can just send them back.

Cicero, The Republic
I hate riding cold and wet. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jan 25, 2019 at 01:14:05 PM EST
I recently discovered a company that sells chemical warmers that go into the tips of your riding shoes. They were a big help for my feet.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I went on a training course yesterday | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)