Print Story Hey, I know.
By ObviousTroll (Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 08:48:22 AM EST) (all tags)
Why don't I post something that doesn't have to go in the hole?

I was surprised at how many diaries and comments I'd missed over the past few weeks - and I like Clock's idea of cutting back on social networking and coming here more often, so I'm going to try to make it at least a weekly habit. So... let's see...

Lamb is halfway through her senior year of college and seems to be quite ready to be a fully-fledged adult. Whereas it took several tries to get Troll Jr. to leave the nest, it now feels like Lamb left without us noticing - she went back to school early (she found a brief internship she wanted to do) and when I asked if she was planning to come home for spring break she said she was hoping to go up to NYC to visit her girlfriend who graduated last year. She even seems to be handling that well, saying the two of them had agreed to take the whole relationship thing easy and just see where it went.

Troll Jr.? Don't know, nearly don't care. The LLL sent me a bundle of christmas cards to hand out (which was a ball of stress right there) but TJr never bothered to return calls or show up over the holidays so I eventually put his in an envelope along with a letter with all the LLL news he needed to know and dropped it in the mail.

I mean, I assume he hasn't moved. I rode my bike past the apartment building where he was living at one point but I didn't notice his car as I went past so who knows...

I gave SWHTL what turned out to be a very nice wine-and-fondue birthday party, just her, some of her friends and Lamb - who held her own like a champ but prefers mead or gin to wine. (Gin? Really? I hate gin.)

Christmas day itself was a quiet, pleasant event at my sister's place, aside from learning about the stuff in my last hole entry - which I've now decided I'm being too much of a drama queen about. Things will unfold the way they unfold and the part of me that enjoys a good crisis should stop trying to drum one up because it's bored.

Work, though, has gone a bit sideways. The reason I posted that press release about one of my customers was nostalgia more than anything else - because $MEGACORP just went and cancelled all future development of the stuff I do, leaving me and about 100 others hanging in mid-air trying to figure out what comes next. Just another way for me to practice my serenity and meditation

Still, like I like to say, I don't have real problems. In fact, I have a sabbatical coming up this summer - 8 weeks of vacation on top of my regular vacation time. SWHTL and I couldn't find any single massive project or trip that we wanted to do the whole time so, instead, it's going to be a bunch of short trips, beginning with me riding from Philly to Baltimore on the way to Lamb's college graduation, then some time in a B&B in Harper's Ferry, visiting family in VA and NC, some glamping, a bike ride from Philly to Jim Thorpe, PA which will hopefully include some co-workers, and other stuff.

Also, I ended up being ranked the #12 fundraiser for BikeMS Delaware, and my cycling team is trying to come up with a new theme for our group to top the current Star Trek one. I briefly thought about something LOTR-based but I'm not doing 150 miles wearing a cloak and a pointy hat, so I'm still looking. Maybe something MCU-based?
< Be Seeing You
Hey, I know. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
Also, my own B-day is coming up by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 10:05:18 AM EST
and I've been instructed that I should find a way to celebrate keeping my weight under 200 pounds for a year.

I was thinking "more cake" but apparently not, so I'm rebuilding my basement office - replacing the 2009 Mac Mini with a 2013 MBP that has a fading battery, and upgrading the sound system on my raspberry pi "infotainment" rig. I wasn't planning on doing both, but poor SWHTL doesn't know I brought in all the packages she ordered in December and the name on one box made it pretty clear she'd  looked at my parts list and bought me the thunderbolt dock the MBP will need.

(I say "poor SWHTL" because she's had a terrible time picking out good gifts for me over the years; this is a combination of her being non-techie and just bad luck. Just one example: Way back when TJr was 3-4 years old, she bought me a talking Tick doll as a gag gift, and all the bags were in the back of the car when she drove up to the house with TJr in the baby seat. When she yelled at me, "don't look in the bags!", TJr immediately sang out, "We bought you a Tick doll!" I pretended I hadn't heard him....)

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
The doll was great though. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 10:06:10 AM EST
Kept him for 20 years or so, till he finally fell off a shelf and suffered a nasty arm-ectomy.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
under 200 pounds for a year by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 10:32:52 AM EST
I managed that. Got down to just below 190, now just above 195. Which is pretty much where I was a year ago. Still want to, ultimately, get down to 180 or so.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I've been hovering >just< under 200 by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 06:28:26 PM EST
I have to keep reminding myself that exercise may be the antidote for stress it's not the antidote for food.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Think of it... by ana (4.00 / 3) #8 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 08:01:24 PM EST
 ...as levitating, just below 200.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Twenty_two_year_old has enough college credits by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 03:23:03 PM EST
to be a sophomore, and it only took her four years. I think her GPA is still around 2.1.

To be fair, she's been working a lot, and finally made it to the part-time level where she can get some benefits.

Seventeen_year_old is applying to lots of colleges, and is getting an award at an art show at RIT for high schoolers and middle schoolers. She has a photo of a classmate's hands kneading dough, some judges must have liked it.

Also, RIT is her top choice, we're hoping that this helps get her some good deals there.

Mrs. Ha has conquered the cash register, and is getting ready to move on.

My project is steadily shrinking, and I'm learning the stuff that the competitor who bought our project doesn't do well so that when they do it, I would be available. That said, we're still selling things, so I expect support would be needed for at least another five years.

I'm still un-reimbursed, but my manager^4 is also working it, and expects I may need to get reimbursed through my corporation, so that their lawyers can deal with the other corporation's lawyers.

Oof. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 06:23:41 PM EST
The bit about being reimbursed is really outrageous. Old me would be doing a rain dance at this point. Myself, I did get paid back although not directly from $MEGACORP - the office manager took the receipts from me and actually cut me a personal check the day my AMEX bill came. It's one of the reasons I tolerate her (even like her, on her good days). She's a good person even if she is a tremendous ditz.

I'm jealous of Seventeen_year_old. I've always wanted to be a good photographer but while I'm technically skilled I don't really have an eye for what will make a good picture - all my best shots were taken by accident.1

Twenty_two_year_old reminds me of my best friend, and my little brother. My friend didn't take quite that long, but he was always up against the "three fails and we drop you" rule. He would fail all his core classes, sometimes twice, then go on co-op (internship) and apparently working with the actual gear helped because he'd pass them when he came back.

Little brother left catholic school and lived in a log cabin till he was 35, then fell in love with an alpha-type med student. Re-enrolled and earned simultaneous bachelors and masters degrees in information science.2

1. I did have one technique I read about and mastered that was great for taking spontaneous portraits at parties. It was ruined by slow autofocus cameras.
2. Of course, then the on-her-way-to-a-phd-alpha-type divorced him and he moved back to rural $MIDDLE_OF_NOWHERE where he runs a county library. I worry about him, isolated from his family, but he seems content and committed to using his library to make the world a slightly better place.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I may end up getting reimbursed through my corp by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri Jan 18, 2019 at 01:03:26 PM EST
and their lawyers can deal with the other corp's lawyers to get reimbursed.

Or they'll just bundle with something else.

My manager^4 has been good about keeping me in the loop about this, as he's also involved, but on different email threads. He forwarded one to me that indicates that the VP who agreed to this is no longer with the corporation.

I shake too much to get good pictures, I'm just normally fidgety. The camera on my phone is enough for me.

Seventeen_year_old does want a nice camera for a graduation present, not a new one, but an older Canon like she uses at school would be enough.

The 10 year plan by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Jan 18, 2019 at 07:24:16 AM EST
I flamed out of college, joined the Army, and then completed college in just over 3 years with a 3.0. Nothing like a 6 week field exercise in Korea in March and April to convince you of the importance of getting enough sleep and studying.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Turns out my teammate already has plans for BikeMS by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 06:33:48 PM EST
He's experimenting with LEDs and what we might do to dress up our rides in a Star Trek sort of way.

So I introduced him to Adafruit and SparkFun and the concept of wearable, programmable, lighting.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Philly to Jim Thorpe, PA by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Jan 19, 2019 at 07:44:11 PM EST
I wish the Jim Thorpe area had more/better jobs.  I loved that area for biking when I lived there.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Yeah. If I had faith in my long term employment by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Jan 19, 2019 at 08:38:03 PM EST
Hey, I know. | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)