Print Story Week End Update
By jimgon (Sat Jan 12, 2019 at 09:47:00 PM EST) (all tags)
So far 2019 doesn't suck as much as 2018.

This is another short post.  I find it hard after years of Twitter and more years of working with senior executives to write anything longer than a bullet point these days.

This time last year my father was in the process of dying.  To my knowledge I have no family members in the process of dying at this time.

My rebooted FB account is up and running.  The content you see there now is what will continue to be posted there.  My current Fraternal Order of Water Buffaloes role is a one year term that is typically re-appointed for a second year.

I'm transferring office location to the Boston office starting on Monday.  I needed a change.  Eight years of driving to Hartford have worn me out.  I'm hoping that the Boston transfer will improve my attitude.  The atmosphere in the office is far different than the Hartford office.  It's like being in a different company. And I'm hoping that helps.  Right now I have issues with my current role and employer.  Different issues than the ones you may remember over my years here.  It's a fundamental lack of alignment with the business goals of the corporation to my personal beliefs.  I've never had that before.  Ultimately I don't think I can resolve the issue and be an employee, but they pay a lot and the yearly bonus has been sufficient to keep me from leaving.

I have an interview on Tuesday.  It's for a job at a company that I nearly got hired at last year.

We'll see how the interview goes, but I'm not holding my breath.  The move of office with my current employer is my attempt to improve my current working life because something has to change and it's likely I'll be working at the company for quite a bit longer.
< You know who I miss seeing around these here parts? | Be Seeing You >
Week End Update | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
Good luck with the work stuff by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Jan 12, 2019 at 10:07:40 PM EST
I hope you find a good place somewhere close to home.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician
What she said (nt) by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jan 13, 2019 at 06:29:23 PM EST

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Thanks by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Jan 13, 2019 at 07:40:05 PM EST
Someday it’ll happen.

---------------
Long form writing by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Jan 15, 2019 at 02:19:40 AM EST
Omg...the resonance of comms-by-powerpoint is still sounding with me days after I read this. I do some long form professional writing too (well, 20 pages) but the style of that is even more sector and context specific such that to write 3 ‚normal‘ paras these days would be supreme mental effort to break out of habit.

Communication by Bullet Point by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 21, 2019 at 08:23:10 AM EST
The other thing happening with my writing is that I've dumbed it down so much to communicate to executives.  I have a standing rule that everything I write has to be at a third grade reading level to ensure the executives understand it.

---------------
Week End Update | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)