Print Story 3d printers
Toys
By ucblockhead (Tue Sep 11, 2018 at 11:36:50 PM EST) (all tags)
I've become a 3d printer guy.

For years I've lusted after 3d printers, but they always seemed so impractical.  I was always afraid I'd buy one, muck with it a few days, and it'd then gather dust.  Fortunately...that does not seem to be the case.  I finally bought one, and I know have a hobby.

I went a bit high-end, getting the Lulzbot TAZ 6.  I wanted something I wouldn't have to build, and something that would pretty much work out of the box.  This worked out well because it's given me time to actually learn how the damn things work.   This was about two months ago.

My main takeaway from this is that these things are hobby items.  They don't really serve a practical purpose other than to keep you busy.  I mean, yes, I have printed practical items...I've got a nice iPhone stand formed to exactly fit the iPhone case I already had.   But mostly, it's been about toys and farting around.  Some samples:

But it isn't just like pushing a button and having it work.  There's lots of futzing, lots of learning.  These roses took me almost a week, in part because I didn't know what I was doing:

But these are all models downloaded elsewhere.  I've since moved on to trying to design my own things.  I started with Tinkercad, which is pretty easy, but in the end, limited.  I've since moved to trying to learn Fusion 360, which makes Photoshop look like Microsoft Bob.

Of course, a good portion of what I've done is to modify the printer itself.  I attached a raspberry pi so I could control remotely with octoprint.  I printed an attachment for a webcam so I could monitor remotely and a new feeder mechanism for filament.  So in some sense, this thing is most practical at improving itself.

So anyway, this is why my house is slowly filling up with cheap plastic.

< My daughter is 10 | Wanikani >
3d printers | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)
Extruder based printers are hobby items. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 12, 2018 at 12:04:15 AM EST
Like a table top laser based CNC - completely impractical in the real world.

SLA and UV LCD printers are a bit more practical, but also a bit further away from prime time. In the office, we're doing a lot of testing with various resins. Reproducibility is a huge problem in printing (and social sciences, so I've heard).

The most obvious small-scale applications are things like invisalign, dental prosthesis, custom fit hearing aid assemblies. The things that are expensive to create by hand but simple enough to programmatically generate STLs for.

Large scale 3d printing is taking off in places that aren't the US. Extrusion based printers that use a mix of poly resin, SPF, and fiberglass post-print processing are getting a lot of attention in parts of the world that don't have trees.

We're in a post-hype cycle for 3d printing. Everyone's done the kickstarters, fiddled with Benchy, etc. Now all that's left is making money + putting people out of work.

Resin based printers by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 12, 2018 at 11:03:15 AM EST
More practical for an office/industrial setting, less so for home use.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Not so much by debacle (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 12, 2018 at 12:03:52 PM EST
If you don't mind the fumes, cost of printer, cost of resources, etc.

Also by debacle (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 12, 2018 at 12:06:15 AM EST
Everyone is trying to learn Fusion360 because Tinkercad is a toy. It's kind of a meme in 3d printing. There's probably a market for people who don't want to spend 100 hours learning software to have fun.

(Comment Deleted) by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 12, 2018 at 06:28:19 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by dark nowhere

What are you talking about? [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 13, 2018 at 09:06:14 AM EST

oops by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Sep 16, 2018 at 05:52:54 PM EST
sleep dep my bad

See you, space cowboy.

fite me [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Sep 17, 2018 at 08:54:22 AM EST

"toy" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 13, 2018 at 10:13:42 AM EST
I believe he was talking about Tinkercad, not 3D printing in general.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
print a gun yet? by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Sep 12, 2018 at 09:22:19 PM EST

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
A fake one you mean? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 13, 2018 at 10:12:24 AM EST
Because I sure as hell can't print a real, working, usable one using a hobbyist 3d printer.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Do you do Twitter? by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 13, 2018 at 03:02:42 PM EST
My friend Tim Deagan has done some really cool stuff. He's into Boosh (propane fire art; wrote the book Make: Fire) and fabricates all kind of printed, welded, C&C'ed stuff. He often posts what he's doing on Twitter.

He's printed a bunch of stuff to make his work space organized, support his other projects, etc. Super friendly, loves to help.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

No by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 13, 2018 at 07:44:14 PM EST
I don't do twitter.  Too many trolls on it.

My wife has flirted with fire arts at the local establishment, but it was too much of a time commitment with work, so she's stuck to jewelry making (specifically metal clay) as that can be done at home.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

3d printers | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)