Print Story The cop on the corner and the burglar too
By TheophileEscargot (Wed Jun 20, 2018 at 12:50:53 AM EST) Reading, MLP, Watching, Me (all tags)
Reading: "Carrier Pilot", "The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion". Watching: "Deadpool 2". Me. Links.

What I'm Reading
Carrier Pilot by Norman Hanson. Memoir of a British fighter pilot who principally fought on carriers in the Pacific. It's billed as "One of the greatest WWII pilot's memoirs", but I can't say I've read enough to validate that. From the introduction apparently one advantage is that it was written in the 1970s which allows it to be a bit more modern.

Definitely an interesting read. He captures the experience well. The book does seem more open than earlier memoirs about grief, swearing and some mistakes. However it's definitely not a horrors-of-war book, his overall tone is positive.

Not bad, but didn't seem to have anything particularly surprising.

What I'm Reading 2
The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion by Margaret Killjoy. Novella that seems to have become a cult on Mastodon for obvious reasons: a supernatural story set in an anarchist community. I liked it a lot. The supernatural elements were creepy, and what we see of the community is interesting. Downside: characters are bit bland and undistinguished. I'll definitely get the next one, would have liked it to be a full length novel.

Me
Still can't run, still getting the same pain. I've been trying to compensate with swimming and cycling but getting a bit bored. There are limited car-free cycle routes so I end up usually doing the same circuit. Was wondering about getting some Vibrams or something and trying barefoot-style running which might work the muscles differently: they're quite pricey for an experiment though.

Kid's starting school in September. Been to the first of three visits we have to make to the school, this one they just explained to us alone. They seem very organised but to expect a lot more parental involvement than in my generation. Can't really believe it, it seems like only yesterday he was a tiny baby.

What I'm Watching
Saw Deadpool 2. Decent action/superhero/spoof. Goes even heavier on the fourth wall breaking than the last one: thought it got a bit too much as it's harder to get into the movie when you've got these winks every few minutes. Overall, good fun though. Has a mid-credits scene that needs to be stayed for as it affects the plot.

Links
Socioeconomics. Frances Coppola on history of "Poor Laws" and welfare. Workers at Google get military contract cancelled. Trying to explain money.

Articles. Long article on the Thameselink rail failures. Canoes and courting in America. What if Star Wars was never mad, via. Jordan Peterson's 12 rules reviewed. It Can Happen Here : "Seven years after the war, they looked back on the period from 1933 to 1939 as the best time of their lives".

Politics. "Circles" programme to provide support and accountability for released sex offenders gets cancelled. The Italian crisis was the left’s final warning. Thomas Piketty: The transfer union fantasy. Michael Gove speech: Capitalism is not delivering. Italy's organic crisis:

This model, I argue, can be described as a peculiar kind of comprador capitalism—a term generally used in the context of the old colonial system to describe a regime in which a country’s ruling classes ally with foreign interests in exchange for a subordinated role within the dominant hierarchy of power.
Why the polls were wrong in 2017:
...the methods used in 2017 would have got 2015 correct, but got 2017 wrong. The methods used in 2015 would have got 2017 correct, but got 2015 wrong.

Sci/Tech. World's worst smart padlock. Organic chemicals on Mars. 2-d elevators, looks like they finally invented the turbolift.

Random. How does an artist make an anthropomorphised bird hold stuff?

Video. Three point landing supercut. The last day of slip coaches. 50 people try to do various cooking tasks.

Pics. Girls on wheels expedite aircraft production, 1943.

< Finally updated hulvr.com
The cop on the corner and the burglar too | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
As a Thameslink daily commuter by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jun 20, 2018 at 06:00:12 AM EST
The service has been terrible especially in the first couple of weeks of the timetable. Trains cancelled at short notice and services sneakily removed from timetables.

Fortunately I'm going St Albans to London Bridge/Blackfriars so there's plenty of alternative trains so the most I've been affected is 30 mins delay in evening peak. TL definitely "protect" St Albans services as it's the busiest station outside the Central London core.

Services this week seem a bit  better but they are still cancelling the odd service here and there.

FYI by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Jun 20, 2018 at 02:43:01 PM EST
You can still claim delay repay on the removed services - check timetables from http://railplan2020.com, and you can end up with the small satisfaction that at least you're costing them staffing time and PayPal fees in processing the fuckers.

Believe you me by jump the ladder (4.00 / 3) #4 Thu Jun 21, 2018 at 06:31:08 AM EST
I'm straight on the Thameslink website for every delay. Helps to have the Keycard because there's always a record

Awesome stuff by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jun 21, 2018 at 04:36:30 PM EST
Double FYI - I'm on paper ticket monthlies like some filthy heathen, and as of late the barriers have been open both ends, which gives me the impression a lot of it works on trust.

Or to put it another way, if I see a train's properly late, I don't think twice about going for a bacon sarnie and getting to the platform moments before the late one arrives.

But then, maybe they just trust us more down sarf :-p

I can get paper tickets by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Jun 25, 2018 at 09:36:29 AM EST
But I just find the Key Card more convenient as you just buy the ticket online rather than via the ticket machine and I found that the magnetic strip kept failing on paper tickets.

Cheap minimalist running by lm (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Jun 20, 2018 at 06:31:15 AM EST

These days I run in Merrell Vapor Glove 2 trainers. The stack is 5mm which is more minimalist than most VFF models.

If you're going to try minimalist, ramp up the distance super slow. Transitioning to a minimalist shoe too quickly is a good way to give yourself plantar fasciitis..

Cicero, The Republic
it seems like only yesterday he was a tiny baby. by Herring (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Jun 21, 2018 at 01:24:19 PM EST
The boy is off to university in September. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't drunk for all of the last 18 years.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Lucas quibbles by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jun 21, 2018 at 10:25:30 PM EST
It makes no sense to me that Blade Runner would have been any more successful with Nicholson than it was with Ford.   The reason it was a box office failure had nothing to do with Ford and everything to do with the movie Ridley Scott wanted to make.

Also, why no mention of Aliens?   That would have gotten made, with Cameron or Without.

Finally, the l don't see any connection between the lack of Star Wars and a slower VHS/DVD market.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Would Aliens have been made without Fox? by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jun 23, 2018 at 07:09:26 AM EST
Fox sat on a sequel for so long because they thought it would be far too of an expensive move to make. It took the smash success of Terminator to get them to green light the project. In a world where 20th Century Fox gets sold off for parts, it's questionable where the rights to an Alien sequel would land and if anyone would have the funds to make it.

I'm more confused about how Cameron comes into the picture with Terminator II and no mention of the first film.

Cicero, The Republic
My assumption by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Jun 23, 2018 at 02:36:32 PM EST
...is that given its box office, whoever got the rights would make the sequel.   (Given that movies in that genre like Mad Max and Terminator both got sequels despite lower box office.)

The other thing is that I believe the reason Cameron was allowed to make Terminator 2 was the success of Aliens.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Mad Max and Terminator were cheaper by lm (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Jun 23, 2018 at 03:51:16 PM EST
Alien: 11 million
Terminator: 6 million
Mad Max: 400 thousand
Mad Max 2: 5 million

You're probably right about T2, but the same point is true about Aliens and Terminator. Cameron only got the Aliens project because of the success of Terminator. Which makes leaving the original Terminator film out of the possible world where George Lucas was never born even odder.

Cicero, The Republic
Dunning-Kruger by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Jun 24, 2018 at 06:07:13 AM EST
"Those currently without the capacity to understand DO NOT REALISE they do not have the capacity to understand. Further they will become insulted and actively hostile if we suggest they do not understand something they really truly believe they do already get."

In a public policy context, I think this is a bad misuse of D-K. I think he just isn't very good at explaining stuff.

I mean it comes in the middle of an article that is a call for that, to be fair, but I don't think you'll ever get very far explaining when assuming people are dumb.

Iambic Web Certified