Print Story If...
Law
By anonimouse (Thu May 17, 2018 at 01:04:33 PM EST) (all tags)
...I see another message from an agency asking me if I can give GDPR* consent for them to hold my data ...

* General Data Protection Regulation

... I'm gonna scream.
< Meet Sue Be She | OMFG >
If... | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
We're updating our terms of use by debacle (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu May 17, 2018 at 10:34:23 PM EST
We're doing this because the EU is a bunch of fucktards that doesn't understand how the Internet works, and wants to stick it to America, Facebook, Donald Trump, Internet Advertising, free to use platforms, and everyone else who has a `user` table in their database.

We want you to know this isn't actually important to us, but our lawyers and our marketing team got into some femdom shit and refused to let us just block EU IPs.

We value the $3/year we might someday make on you as a user, once we figure out how to monetize the platform that's currently propped up by VC money. By then, all of our underwater stock options will have expired, and we'll hopefully be working at Amazon.

Fuck off kindly,

The Internet

I saw this as a member of the Interwebs by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 17, 2018 at 11:21:23 PM EST
Fuck Internet Advertising and Facebook's "privacy" policies.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I mean by debacle (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri May 18, 2018 at 11:19:41 AM EST
Internet advertising is why the modern Internet exists. Without advertising, YouTube wouldn't exist.

Facebook is a bad company, and people are stupid about privacy, but GDPR is written poorly.

If that's the choice by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri May 18, 2018 at 01:39:29 PM EST
give me NSF-funded internet. We'll just have to become rec.arts.hulver.moderated (we saw what happened to alt.kuro5hin.unmoderated). Sorry for anyone in the sticks who *needs* Amazon prime.

It won't happen, but never mind advertizing, the data needed to make sure you get the *right* advertizing is simply insane. Why must everything you ever did be available to Google, Facebook, Equifax, and anyone who hacked the above or bought data from the hackers?

Wumpus

Advertising is fine by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 18, 2018 at 02:17:50 PM EST
The fiasco that we call the current internet advertising systems is not.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The problem is by debacle (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 18, 2018 at 03:41:15 PM EST
Internet advertising isn't actually worth anything. It's useless.

All this dark pattern shit is propping up a failed system.

Hey by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu May 17, 2018 at 11:20:15 PM EST
I copied the Kuro5hin database back in the day...can I have your consent to not delete your posts?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
WIPO by Herring (4.00 / 2) #8 Sun May 20, 2018 at 01:18:03 PM EST
Lucrative

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods