Print Story Now, we wait.
By ana (Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 11:47:11 AM EST) (all tags)
Apparently this is a title I've used before.

It's a bit of a calm before several storms (and the calm after another, literal, storm).

First, the actual storm. We got several inches of rain and some gale-force winds Friday night (Mar 2, 2018). When I went out in the morning I thought the trash can had blown away, but no, it was just lying down on the job. Then I thought the lid had blown away, but no, it was over by the fence. Then I thought the lace thing (it was a handout at a conference, intended to hold one's nametag) I was using to hold it to the bannister had gone, but in fact it was inches from where it belongs, only on the ground.

After going out to buy food, I find that the fence has a section leaning and one of the joints has opened up. I'll call the folks who built it for me in the morning and we'll see. I hope the posts haven't been split at ground level.

It used to be, we didn't get hurricanes bombogenesis storms in the winter here.

Secondly, I'm on call this week, so that could either be lots of excitement or none, or something between. It's been quiet lately.

Thirdily, the book, Necessary Lies, is selling okay as an e-book. It's doing about a copy a day or so, which has it fading in the ratings. Another review or two or three would be a great help.

The artist friend who made the cover image is having personal problems, and I sympathize, but it'd be cool to get the paperback out very soon. Accordingly, I hired someone recommended by my mentor and cousin off of, and she's undertaken to trim the cover image to suit, and mate it to a spine and back cover by Tuesday or so. After which, (see #1 and 2 above, and #4 below), createspace should be able to do print-on-demand whenever I finish the setup process. There is a warning that their automagical process wasn't able to check my pdf file, so I hope that's nothing. Maybe this week!

Fourthst, WC, the retirement community where my brother lives, is selling spots in their latest building-to-be. That'll open in the spring of '19, just as I'm nearing age 65. So if I'm sufficiently rank (on the priority list), they might have a suitable apartment left by the time I get to pick. The package may even now be winging its way hitherward. Um, eep, this is way too much like the dread What do you want to do when [if] you grow up? question.

Maybe I can hang around writing novels, in a place where it's not very far from the bed to the bathroom, stairs are optional, there'll be people around when/if I need them, I can have dinner with my brother[s] regularly, and I don't hafta fix stuff. It could be a life.

I gather the deal is, after looking at the package they send me, I call and let them know I'm interested, and when my number comes up they'll call back and schedule a visit.

My future may look very different in a week's time.
< Nearly one less anonimouse | I'm a complete banker >
Now, we wait. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Looming retirement by Vulch (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 02:08:01 PM EST
My first work pension (from my days in broadcast TV) kicks in in a years time and I've been suggesting to work that they need to start thinking about what they want in a hypothetical replacement for me. The pension isn't enough to live on, but I own my current house (10 minutes walk to Cambridge Science Park and Cambridge North Station) outright and the difference between that and a smaller place with some surrounding hills ought to fill the gap until other pensions start. This plan does of course rely on the economy not tanking and house prices not crashing due to what else is currently supposed to happen in March next year.

In the mean time I need to start doing things like getting rid of all the CRT computer monitors I keep finding in odd corners, looking for boxes that haven't been opened since I moved in here 20+ years ago and redecorating some of the scruffier rooms. Eep....

Retirement by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Mar 05, 2018 at 06:48:34 AM EST
My plan is to work until I drop dead. Well, not so much a plan, as the reality of my finances. Every time my 401k starts looking ok the economy tanks and it evaporates.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Waiting... by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Mar 05, 2018 at 09:11:24 PM EST
 So some stuff happened today.
  1. (Actually yesterday) Neighbor and I managed to flex the next joint in the fence enough to get it to fit back together. It's a bit rickety still so I put a screw-type hammock hook into the corner of the garage and ran a rope across to the fence. The repair guy is coming to take a look next week.
  2. Nothing untoward so far.
  3. I have seen the cover! It needs a slight revision, but I'm confident I'll have all the stuff for the paperback this week sometime. Thanks for your patience if you've been waiting. I'm not sure what the turnaround is after that, and I suppose actually holding a book in my hands before offering it for sale would be good, so... another couple weeks? Maybe?
  4. The packet from WC came today. I'm excited. And annoyed at stupid work stuff just today...
Also under #4 is the built-in community kind of a thing, which I forgot to mention.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Waiting... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 08, 2018 at 03:23:22 PM EST
 More stuff happened.
  1. Another storm; this one not much wind just here, and "only" 7 or 8 inches of heavy wet glop. The fence is still standing, with some help from a guy wire attached to the garage. I hope the weather isn't foul when the fence guy comes to visit next week.
  2. Still quiet this week. I'm working from home today because [1].
  3. I've now uplinked the finished cover design, the pdf interior, and filled out everything on createspace. It's being reviewed. Soon? I hope? I'm pretty excited about this.
  4. I can haz appointment to talk to the sales folk at WC for 2 hrs late tomorrow afternoon. We'll see what they have to offer this far down the list. But I'm pretty excited about this, too.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

And again... by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 09, 2018 at 08:11:05 PM EST
  1.  Nothing new
  2. Still quiet. Dickering with engineers about timing of commanding. What fun.
  3. They've approved everything, and made a proof copy available for me to look at. I downloaded the pdf, but it's very cool to hold the book in my hands. I should have it Tuesday. If all's well, it'll be available soon thereafter. It's also cool that the proof should arrive in time for me to show it to my writing critique group.
  4. And lastly, my first choice of apartments was unclaimed when my turn came up, so I snagged it. Lord willin' and the creek don't rise (or is that Creek don't rise, as in the Native American nation?) I'll be moving to Colorado in April through July of 2019.
That is all.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Proof copy of the book! by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Mar 12, 2018 at 06:55:20 PM EST
 Proof copy of Necessary Lies: the paperback edition