Print Story Nearly one less anonimouse
By anonimouse (Sat Mar 03, 2018 at 03:26:49 AM EST) (all tags)
 ... but you're glad I'm still here, am I right?

Yesterday, I started work remotely early and round midday left for the midlands, as my mother-in-law had a problem with her central heating and the peeps who really were supposed to do this hadn't shown up in 48 hours.  The trip up was slowed down by an accident but largely uneventful.

I got to my mother in law, found and fixed the problem fairly quickly thanks to the wonders of looking up the reported fault code on the Internet, went to the local Tescos to ensure she had a weeks worth of supplies if necessary, stayed for a few cups of congratulatory cups of tea whilst basking in the praise, and did some more remote work before heading back. At this time, the snow had started to come down again and by the time I'd dropped the MiniMice back home (I'd picked them up to pay grandma a visit) it was dark when I started to head to London.

Driving down was different to the usual 80+ rush, with speeds down to about 40-50mph and the so called fast lane being a risky proposition as it was little used and covered in more snow. So I was going along in the middle lane, just south of Luton, when an ironically named Ford "Luton" van headed past me in the outside lane at about 60mph.

Then the van totally lost it when it had got past me by about 30 feet and headed straight across my lane. Fortunately it didn't linger there and crossed the remaining lane and hard shoulder before hitting the verge where it seemed to tip. Didn't see what happened to it in the end as I was too busy checking important systems like whether my pants were still dry.

< Round midnight | Now, we wait. >
Nearly one less anonimouse | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Snow there would be scary by marvin (4.00 / 3) #1 Sat Mar 03, 2018 at 08:00:52 PM EST
We laugh at Vancouverites failing to drive in snow, even though they get some every year.

You don't have proper winter tires on your cars (mandatory here), and your per capita quantity of snowplows is a tiny fraction of what we have. Few of your countrymen have the foggiest notion of how to drive in snow. It's a wonder that your roads are open at all.

Driving slower is the key to winter driving, along with minimizing acceleration and deceleration. It used to be that everyone respected snow in their rear wheel drive vehicles. Now, people here whizz around with ABS, traction control, and AWD in their SUVs, and think that they can drive posted speed maximums in any weather.

I've lost count of the number of highway closures this year because of people like the guy who passed you. I think 27 people went to hospital in one major crash last weekend which included two buses, a bunch of cars, and some semis. No Canadian can plead ignorance of winter, and we still get crap drivers like the Luton you encountered, I'm sad to report.

Don’t hit the gas, don’t hit the brakes, by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 08:54:40 AM EST
don’t make any sudden moves.

I remember going along I-15 in Utah during an early snow in my 73 Cutlass and having a pickup pass me doing the speed limit. A few miles later at a curve I saw tire tracks going straight into the fields.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It's white knuckle to the ski hill by marvin (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 01:12:09 PM EST
Train of cars and people still tailgate. Like dude, there's 100 cars in front of us. Just hucking chill out.

Idiots crashing at one notorious hairpin have closed the road to the hill at least four or five times this winter. When I was a kid we were always pulling people out of the ditch. I don't feel like I see as many cars in the ditch anymore, amazingly.

I had a nice drive in the snow the other day by ambrosen (3.00 / 1) #2 Sat Mar 03, 2018 at 09:32:09 PM EST
I went round the most densely populated part of the island, and I was driving 70-90 on the mainly snow-free parts of the tarmac, and everything seemed to work out OK, despite everything being covered in snow and the odd drift.

That said, Iceland is considerably more used to the snow, the speeds were in km/h, there's still not a lot of traffic in the Reykjanes peninsula and I had studded tyres.

I walked to and from work, which was quite an effort. I think it was worth it, because all the clinical staff were in, and about 5 out of the usual 100 of us desk jockeys. Hopefully they didn't resent us too much.

To be clear, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Mar 03, 2018 at 09:32:59 PM EST
the 1st two paragraphs occurred early in February, the last one was this Thursday and Friday.

Ah, one of those moments by dark nowhere (4.00 / 3) #4 Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 12:22:13 AM EST
when you just get to watch death: at times staggering drunkenly, at others gliding gracefully—at all times oblivious—and all you can do is wonder whether it's here to find you.

See you, space cowboy.

(Comment Deleted) by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 02:30:04 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by jump the ladder

Time of year by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 02:39:11 AM EST
When you make peace with BMW drivers and help them push their expensive rear wheel drive cars stuck in the snow...

No! by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Mar 05, 2018 at 11:14:17 AM EST
Don't blame the RWD, blame the thing behind the wheel.

Snow and bastards by Herring (4.00 / 3) #8 Sun Mar 04, 2018 at 01:03:47 PM EST
I was heading into work on Wednesday and the two-lane motorway was pretty much covered - compacted snow, nice and slippery.

I was leaving a massive gap to the car in front and trundling about 40mph when this lorry (TNT parcels if you must know) came up behind me. Right behind - about 6 feet. I tapped the brake pedal with my left foot. He went sideways a bit and then flashed me. Tapped it again. Flashed me again. Gave him the finger out the window. Still right on my tail. Just slowed right down until I was basically stopped and the bastard was forced to pass me on the even worse right hand lane.

Given where I was and the direction I was heading, it's possible he had a ferry to catch. Quite how scaring the shit out of me would help him get there, I don't know.

Wish I'd got the number plate to report the cunt now but at the time, I was more concerned with not being shunted.

Unlike your story, mine doesn't have any karmic payback.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods