Print Story Hello from Silicon Valley
By yankeehack (Fri Mar 16, 2018 at 10:44:19 PM EST) (all tags)
My life has changed.

Being a stubborn pain in the ass paid off. I may have no savings (and I mean no savings and a nearly drained 401k) but I now have a job that I love and people who love me.

Spent this past week in the heart of Silicon Valley onboarding with a small but tech savvy company. I love my new co-workers and this is a great fit.  The founders worked on an linux-based open source project and then made their project paid. (At happy hour, I mentioned slashdot and K5, and the CEO was like...wait YOU were on K5?!) They are very small, but I'm technically only a manager, but only because I'll be remote with trips to SV. They also got fucked by previous marketing departments and just wanted marketing managed until I can prove I can do it (after this week, they know I can, now it's just putting my head down for a few months and proving myself.)

Just got back to my super loud Airbnb (I'm in an apartment and the downstairs neighbor is loud) after happy hour. I got goodbye hugs from the co-workers who stayed to have drinks with me....and my co-worker gave me a ride to my place.

I don't want to go back home. This week has been magical.

< I am happy to report... | Who wants one? >
Hello from Silicon Valley | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Cool! by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Mar 17, 2018 at 02:56:58 AM EST
Good luck with the jorb!
Congrats on the job by Scrymarch (4.00 / 5) #2 Sat Mar 17, 2018 at 06:36:51 AM EST
Victory for the K5 Kabal employment agency

Iambic Web Certified

why not move out there? by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Mar 17, 2018 at 07:21:45 AM EST
other than the rent being triple vs the east coast?

I live in by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 05:34:50 PM EST
a high class area already, so the rent for a low-end suburban apartment would only be double for me. The bigger problem is that I'm a cat lady so, finding a pet friendly place would be even harder.

I have to put my head down and work (and to save a bit) before thinking about moving out there. YH with 3 beers admitted to co-workers that she would love to work there, and that LO was all like "Move out there so I can date boys from Stanford!"

Good luck by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Mar 17, 2018 at 12:22:17 PM EST
Congratulations.

K5 savvy CEO.  That's weird.

---------------
Yeah, what was his username by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 02:15:28 PM EST
and does he know of husi?

Or... by ana (4.00 / 4) #9 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 02:18:36 PM EST
 adequacy...

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

guessing "Tex Bigballs" -nt- by clover kicker (4.00 / 5) #14 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 10:07:02 PM EST

I know, right by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #12 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 05:44:08 PM EST
Well, he's from a European country that is not the UK.

I am pretty sure he was a K5 lurker, but I couldn't find anything in the Wayback Machine under his current handle, but his name seems familiar (like he would show in the "who's online".)

I checked husi for his current handle and didn't find anything. Honestly, it would be more amusing than anything else.

Maybe slashdot? by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Mar 24, 2018 at 07:59:10 PM EST
 I think most of us have had the same handle on all three platforms.

But at any rate it’s cool he knows of the diary ghetto. K5 pops up in weird places. I remember when I found a link to it on Charlie Stross’s diary and was amused.

---------------
We're crusty cool! by Merekat (4.00 / 3) #21 Tue Mar 27, 2018 at 04:10:54 AM EST
Not as crusty cool as WELL folk, but pretty damn crusty.

Good luck and congratulations! by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Mar 17, 2018 at 01:23:39 PM EST
Enjoy the job. I haven't had an "oh, K5" moment at work since 2001. Glad that your patience was rewarded.
Also, enjoy/good luck with the crush.

Cool! by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 06:52:41 AM EST
So was he an actual k5er, or did he just read it?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I think by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 05:45:18 PM EST
he just read it. I didn't find anything on K5 under his current username.
Congrats! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 02:16:28 PM EST
and enjoy the frequent flyer miles.

So... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #10 Sun Mar 18, 2018 at 05:25:52 PM EST
Bay Area salary without Bay Area housing costs?  That's a win!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
nice to see more info by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #15 Mon Mar 19, 2018 at 12:58:34 PM EST
congrats on the job.

(and who was the FB person who told me to eat a dick when I picked on valley tech bro dudes ? hahaha)

FB dude by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Mar 19, 2018 at 02:37:46 PM EST
he's a developer here in Philly I briefly dated many years ago. He's worked with Obvious Troll in the past.
heh a jilted man by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Mar 20, 2018 at 02:01:28 PM EST
say no more..

congratulations by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Mar 19, 2018 at 05:48:40 PM EST
also, let me know the next time you're in town and i'll try to make lunch or dinner workout. :)
Congratulations! by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Mar 23, 2018 at 01:46:55 PM EST
It's always great to find people you mesh with.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Hooray! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Mar 27, 2018 at 08:31:16 PM EST
So, still good now that you're back home?

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Hello from Silicon Valley | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback