Print Story The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had
By TheophileEscargot (Wed Feb 21, 2018 at 01:43:09 AM EST) Reading, MLP, Watching (all tags)
Reading: "Tear Gas". Watching: "Days of Glory". Links.

What I'm Reading
Tear Gas by Anna Feigenbaum. Short history of tear gas, explaining how it went from a battlefield weapon to a supposedly humane form of crowd control.

Somewhat interesting, especially in the details of how the military-industrial complex actually operated, with close informal links between public and private sector helping them work together.

However there's nothing terribly surprising here. It's more or less a case study of how the establishment works

What I'm Watching
Saw French-language war movie Days of Glory / Indigènes on disk, about Algerian recruits fighting in WW2. Pretty good. Starts out as a fairly conventional war movie, but gradually increases the content about the level of prejudice they face, which escalates as they fight within France itself.

The action scenes are decent but not exceptional. Some of the examples of prejudice are infuriating especially the censor destroying the love letters.

Overall, worth watching, but not mindblowing.

Links
Politics. Mexico's Zapatista rebels, 24 years on .

Random. HOW WWI Zeppelin raids popularised pajamas. Hanno the Navigator, via. Statistical Flowers for Algernon.

Fitness. Standard core workout, original.

Sci/Tech. Robonaut to return from space.

< Necessary Lies | Round midnight >
The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
core exercises by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Feb 22, 2018 at 11:35:55 AM EST
several of those are not good for the elbow, shoulder and possibly back ..

Hmmm by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Feb 22, 2018 at 11:34:21 PM EST
Why do you say that? I've tried them a couple of times and they feel OK to me.
got shoulder or elbow problems ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Feb 23, 2018 at 11:52:33 AM EST
hahah.. the side lean/plank is not good if you've got any shoulder issues. Others put pressure in elbows in bad ways.

They seem pretty standard to me by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Feb 24, 2018 at 07:12:54 AM EST
Those were all included the last time I was in a group session on off season strength training for triathletes led by one of the local sports physical therapy outlets.

Cicero, The Republic
That Zapatista Article by 256 (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Feb 22, 2018 at 10:13:53 PM EST
is a great read
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni