Print Story AAAAH! It's back on the wayback machine!
Technology
By ObviousTroll (Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 08:38:49 AM EST) (all tags)
So,

Back in the 90's I had a website that briefly made me internet famous - which, at the time, meant brief mentions in magazines, a book, and other websites.

By around 2000 or so, it had a quarter million hits and was just too much damned work, and the Palm Pilot was dead, so I gave my content to another site and shut it down. Later, some domain squatter bought the domain and told the wayback machine they weren't allowed to archive my old content. (How does that work?!?)

Anyway, I've been reading How the Internet Happened and, in a fit of nostalgia, I went and looked for my old site and it's back, in all it's 1990's eye-bleeding lo-res glory.

Takes me back - writing emacs macros to convert Project Gutenberg titles into the Palm Pilot file format, joining web rings, people signing the guest book...

Good times, man. Good times.
< My time in a former communist country | You mean this is a big bluff? >
AAAAH! It's back on the wayback machine! | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden)
Sounds like "how the web happened" by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 09:40:25 AM EST
The internet was already alive and well, and fairly well documented in The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll. Amazing how much changed in such a short time.

Wumpus

Oh, I know. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 11:58:39 AM EST
Sadly, kids today don't care about the distinction. The author summarized all the pre-web history of the internet in the introduction, then starts chapter 1 with Netscape.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Neat. by dark nowhere (4.00 / 3) #2 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 11:33:22 AM EST
I miss those days. Everything was content, and much less of it was opinion. I stumbled on the ftp server of a .edu site in a foreign land and learned quite a lot of interesting things.

The archiving thing... iirc they just use robots.txt. It doesn't really add up if you think about it, but people who complain in the most helpless ways tend to get what they want. Otherwise I'm sure they'd get bombarded with copyright claims and domain ownership might be enough to get the thing into court or something.

See you, space cowboy.

Everything was content... by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 07:40:14 PM EST
yup. These days the signal-to-noise is so bad it makes me long for the days of the Eternal September.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I'm surprised I didn't hear about that site. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 12:40:29 PM EST
I had a PalmPilot. Still do, actually, but I haven't put batteries into it in over a decade. I wonder if there's any way to sync it with a modern PC? I may still have the cradle with the 9 pin d-sub. No d-sub on the PC though.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Do what I did by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 07:26:40 PM EST
USB to D-Sub converter ( for my Handspring and Garmin GPS 12cx )

Which reminds, me...where is that Garmin.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

Hah! And I just remembered! by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 07:33:37 PM EST
I gave all my pilots away over the years, to relatives, mostly, but I noticed my wife still has a palm case siting on her desk. I'll have to see if there's anything in it. The hard part is probably finding the Palm Desktop software.

It might not take a charge anymore though.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I might have two or three left by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Nov 08, 2018 at 10:04:24 AM EST
including a Visor, IIRC.

I didn't have the guts to change the battery by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Nov 08, 2018 at 12:30:26 PM EST
on mine. Think it was a palm 3. Whatever it was, the battery was internal.

The really painful thing was that both I and my father lost our disks for the palm GPS connector. I had one of the best GPS tools available, and no software for it.

In the end, I never really "clicked" with the thing. The input wasn't all that great and my keyboard was clunky. I think when I couldn't get into running an Infocomm game on it I knew it wasn't going to work.

Wumpus

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the smartphone age.

I've got a keyspan 9-pin to USB somewhere... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 06, 2018 at 07:32:06 PM EST
I think the last place I was using it was for an old hiking GPS.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
No React? No one-page application? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Nov 07, 2018 at 12:32:11 AM EST
A submit with a link!?

LOL.  Do you even internet!?!?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Yeah, sorry. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Nov 07, 2018 at 08:01:24 PM EST
i should put back the animated “man at work” icon so people know the site is broken...

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
In that era... by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Nov 07, 2018 at 08:10:21 PM EST
we had a website at work, describing the research group's projects, links to papers, stuff like that. In the little blurb there was a link to the group's work, and a very small, very cute, animated gif of Sisyphus pushing his rock up the hill (out of the frame), and then the rock rolled through, and then the guy chased it down again.

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Yeah, no by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #12 Wed Nov 07, 2018 at 11:06:38 PM EST
I'm not even clicking until the site has at least 15 mb of JavaScript behind it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Let's see by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Nov 09, 2018 at 03:06:12 PM EST
Repeating .gif background - check
Webring - check
Neon terminal green - check
blink tag - uh...

AAAAH! It's back on the wayback machine! | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden)