Print Story Anyone want a job
Working life
By anonimouse (Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 05:51:03 AM EST) (all tags)
Job Role: Application Architect
Location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Employment Type: Contractual
Contract Duration: Initial period of 6 months, extensions to 12 months available if proven capable and further work in the pipeline we would be eager to work with you on
Your Availability: Immediate
Job Notice Period: 30 days
Daily Rate: $1050 per day plus accommodation, visa and travel expenses covered

I've just turned it down
< Stan Lee dies aged 95 | Week End Update >
Anyone want a job | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden)
I would like a job where I get paid to do nothing. by me0w (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 07:11:48 AM EST
Please find me something like that.

I think by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 10:14:29 AM EST
greyrat can tell you about living and working in the kingdom .. and that's before they started killing journos..

I said no by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 10:41:00 AM EST
for a list of reasons
  • I like it to be warm but not 30+ all the time
  • I sunburn easily
  • Being remote from family
  • Having girlfriends in Saudi Arabia may be a bit problematic

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
No fucking way by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 11:12:34 AM EST
One of the most repressive societies on earth, no beer, too hot.

I forgot by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 02:30:53 PM EST
,,,about the "No alcohol" when I was making my list. I could just about survive that, but in combination with the "No sex outside marriage" it's a killer blow.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
You could have multiple wives though by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #6 Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 02:42:08 PM EST
since one isn't enough.

or in my case by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Nov 20, 2018 at 12:43:14 PM EST
No by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Nov 17, 2018 at 04:28:44 PM EST
Not that my opinion would be relevant in context.

no by cicero (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Nov 19, 2018 at 12:56:01 AM EST
that'd be quite a pay cut.

Hi by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #9 Mon Nov 19, 2018 at 05:09:51 AM EST
Congratulations on your humungous salary

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Back in '03 or so... by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Nov 19, 2018 at 07:16:14 AM EST
Recruiter: "We'll give you $500,000 tax free, for a 6 month job!"
Me: "Where?"
R: "Iraq!"
Me: "Will I be armed"
R: "No"
Me: "Can I carry my own weapon?"
R: "No."
Me: "No thanks."

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Weapons by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Nov 19, 2018 at 12:55:47 PM EST
Given IEDs, I'm not sure allowing you to be armed would have even helped.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Most of the people I know who were wounded there by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Nov 20, 2018 at 07:37:08 AM EST
were shot. Actually, I don't know anyone who was hit by an IED. One guy got shrapnel wounds from a mortar.

One guy I know who works in various sandboxes where annoyed locals tend to dislike Americans for some unfathomable reasons is always armed over there. Apparently the agencies have learned that people at least want the option of shooting back.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Shooting back by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Nov 20, 2018 at 10:23:49 AM EST
 It's much more satisfying shooting back when shot at. You feel you have some control over the situation, even if it is illusory.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I got one come through from Dubai by Herring (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Nov 22, 2018 at 03:24:21 PM EST
I told them no before the Matthew Hedges thing came in.

Mrs H's ex-before-me went out to Qatar for a few years and earned a shedload. He's an Irish Catholic though and so more in-tune with repressive theocracies.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

There’s one note off though by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #17 Sun Nov 25, 2018 at 01:17:00 AM EST
I’d a school friend who’s father worked in the gulf. On this trips back home he was seriously drunk more or less every day.

I'm not an architect by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Nov 23, 2018 at 11:12:45 AM EST
I can play one in a pinch and many times do better at it than the actual architects, but I'm more 'idle management" than "individual contributor."

Otherwise I have no real issue. I don't see anything that the Kingdom does that I couldn't temporarily adjust my own morality to conform to.  I might even enjoy the clarity and consistency.

---------------
Anyone want a job | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden)