Print Story Accidental diary...
By ObviousTroll (Thu Oct 18, 2018 at 05:26:43 PM EST) (all tags)
So, I just posted in reddit and I realized I accidentally wrote a diary.

(And if you haven't figured out what my reddit handle is, well, chuck you, farley - even the little lost lamb has done that...)

Anyway, I'm expecting that post to get deleted because it was in /r/science and, hey, anecdotes aren't evidence, you know?

I'm not posting this for sympathy or understanding or anything else... or, I don't know, maybe I am.

So, okay, I was going to resist commenting on this stuff but here it is: personal anecdote:

I was born three weeks after the official dividing line between the baby boom and Gen X. At that point, the birthday cutoff for having to go to school in my district was - not kidding - January 31st. Plus, I was officially "gifted". So, not only was I in kindergarten at the age of 4, I was in **3rd grade** at the age of 5.

I want you to picture that. A 5 year old, surrounded by 8 year olds, smarter than all of them but with the emotional development of, well, a 5 year old. Guess what happened next?

After a short period they threw me all the way back to 1st grade, but even there I was still younger than everyone else in the room - but now I had a firm belief that I was a social outcast who couldn't do anything right...

45 years later, I'm still trying to recover from the damage educators did to me, even while they were trying their best to help me...

Sigh...

Anyway, I accept this will probably be deleted - like I said, it's pure, unadulterated anecdote. But it doesn't hurt to vent once in a while, does it?
< We're functioning automatic | Running in place >
Accidental diary... | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
And if you think I wrote this as some sort of brag by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Oct 18, 2018 at 05:52:23 PM EST
there are millions of people smarter than me in the US alone. There are tens of millions more accomplished.  Both groups are present right here, on this site. It isn't about measuring our dicks, it's just about me, still working through the issues in my own head, as small as they are.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
And I'm already regretting posting any of this... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Oct 18, 2018 at 05:54:01 PM EST
Anyone taking bets on whether it will be here in the morning?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I don't think you're bragging by hulver (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Oct 18, 2018 at 06:17:10 PM EST
This isn't dick waving. There are some awesomely clever people on this site.

I thin sending kids to school too soon doesn't do them any favours. I was usually the youngest in my year, due to being born in August. Not as bad as what happened to you. A 5 year old in with 8 year olds? That must have been fairly lonely if nothing else.

Over here we send kids to school at 4. I don't think that's right either.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

It’s not bragging by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Oct 19, 2018 at 10:14:18 AM EST
It’s sharing a story of how well meaning people can easily be inadvertently cruel when they think they’re doing a good thing and of the impact that had in your particular case.

I started school late for health reasons and was not accelerated but was ahead of all and got abused for it. But at least I sort of got the chance to grow with it, if you know what I mean?

it's clearly not intended as a brag by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Oct 21, 2018 at 07:13:46 PM EST
but rather as an expression of pain, and the struggle to deal with how that pain resonates decades later.

Many of us can relate to that.

hugs

Grades by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 18, 2018 at 06:01:53 PM EST
I think it's dangerous to put kids in the wrong grade as long as we're going with a year-by-year grade advancement system.

One year a teacher wanted to hold me back. A couple years later a teacher wanted to skip me ahead. Thankfully neither got their way.

Fact is, though, neither was really wrong about me. I was very out of phase relative to the material. I got in trouble in a few classes for going beyond the material. And in just as many, I had trouble keeping up for just not being up to speed. Lack of interest was running somewhere down the middle.

Holding me back wouldn't have done anything, I'd just be in the same situation all over again. I might get a better score at the end of the year, but I wouldn't have been better prepared to take on the next year. (Besides, I went on to teach myself the stuff I'd failed to learn or failed to retain when needed—mostly after school, for work.)

Skipping me ahead would just put me at a disadvantage with about half the material. The only way to better serve me would be to tweak this and that and there's no way to manage that with a yearly grade system in large schools.

See you, space cowboy.

I was too hyperactive by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 19, 2018 at 08:43:13 AM EST
to get bumped a grade and being born in May meant that I was right at the appropriate age for the grades I was in. Hard to excel when you can't concentrate. I was on dexedrine after first grade, which helped a lot, but wasn't interested in working hard enough to get the really good grades. C+/B- all the way through high school. This despite reading at college level by the end of 6th grade.

My lack of social skills had nothing to do with age, they were, I think, somewhat innate.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Being unable to concentrate... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 24, 2018 at 01:35:51 PM EST
On the one hand I think drugging boys (it's almost always boys) because they can't sit still is horrible. On the other hand, I do sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if someone in 1970 had known about ADHD and methods treating it.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Mrs. Ha suspects if she were correctly diagnosed by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 24, 2018 at 01:40:23 PM EST
with ADD, she might have gotten a college degree, or  might have lasted in one of her ophthalmic assistant jobs.

My parents had me in a private school then. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 24, 2018 at 02:03:28 PM EST
I've seen the notes that were sent home. It wasn't just an inability to sit still. Anything would set me off on tangents, I was incapable of not interrupting when I had a thought. No inside voice when I was in a crowd. It was interfering with the education of the other 10 or so kids in the class. Pretty much a classic case of ADHD. And this was in kindergarten. Dexedrine fixed that. By 6th grade I'd learned the habits that allowed me to function in the classroom without it so my parents took me off of it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, no. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 24, 2018 at 02:35:08 PM EST
Interesting. I'd never even heard of ADHD till I was out of college, I had no idea that it was being treated back in the day.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It was called "hyperactive" by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Oct 25, 2018 at 07:19:22 AM EST
and this was maybe a decade before boys were regularly being diagnosed with it. You had to be a pretty classic case to be diagnosed. The treatment was dexedrine once daily.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Accidental diary... | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)