Print Story Welcome to the House of Fun
Working life
By anonimouse (Fri Jan 19, 2018 at 02:19:20 PM EST) (all tags)
Work.

Work

Today was interesting - it seemed half the office was shooting the other half with Nerf guns. Bearing in mind the salaries of the individuals, it's possible these were the most highly paid Nerf gun gamers in the world.

I finally got through all the onboarding/ compliance videos. For good measure I've done all the training i need to do for six months.

I used to dislike London, but now I've got the hang of this commuting shit and take advantage of all the shows and restaurants, it doesn't seem so bad.

Work 2.

I helped someone put together a bid to make an application for a certain MacCancer charity. Unfortunately this week was told we came second instead of winning the contract. Need to find some other way of earning more money. I have some plans that I want to do this year and even my large pay increase from getting the bank job ain't quite going to cut it.

Still the above work isn't a total loss - it's got the MiniMice plus one of their friends into React programming, so maybe I can become an exploiter of child labour.

< blam blam blam | Magnae clunes mihi placent, nec possum de hac re mentiri >
Welcome to the House of Fun | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by gmd (4.00 / 2) #1 Sat Jan 20, 2018 at 07:23:37 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by gmd

Well by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jan 20, 2018 at 03:32:41 PM EST
 That was short

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I thought by Herring (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat Jan 20, 2018 at 07:12:13 PM EST
it was some of his best work

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

did you just assume my gender? by gmd (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 05:03:38 AM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Yes. by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 03:19:31 PM EST
From the fact that someone is a Libertarian, I can deduce:
  • That they are male
  • That they are able-bodied
  • That they are in the upper range of earnings/wealth
  • That they live in a country with plenty of taxpayer-funded infrastructure/police/fire services etc. They don't live in a country that doesn't actually have a government
There are a few other traits that are strongly indicated but I can't be arsed to draw a Venn diagram

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

I would have an excellent counter example by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 07:00:24 PM EST
... but Ayn Rand professed to not be a libertarian.

Cicero, The Republic
Eastern bloc exception by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 01:30:29 AM EST
If lived under oppressive eastern bloc regime pre iron curtain, may also be female and/or not rich. But then probably won’t be faffing around below the line, so to speak.

A simple “yes” would suffice n/t by gmd (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 03:13:51 AM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Not true by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 12:22:06 PM EST
Many are poor students, still living with their parents, who are in the upper range of earnings/wealth.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
OK by Herring (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 01:43:11 PM EST
Substitute "Financially secure"

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Let’s try that again shall we? by gmd (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 03:05:52 AM EST
React? that’s so 2016.

If modern client-side web frameworks had been my first encounter with computer programming I would be a lawyer now. I’m at a loss as to how  anyone copes with this the shittyness that is modern web development?
It surely cannot continue like this, I mean Javascript? Seriously?

Server side is not much better but at least with apache wicket/jsf you can use a

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
semi serious programming language by gmd (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 03:06:47 AM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
fuck scoop and open source software in general by gmd (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 03:08:03 AM EST
 how hard can it be to post a link?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
It's pretty easy the last I checked by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 07:01:47 PM EST
For example: http://bfy.tw/Uro

Cicero, The Republic
try it on an iphone.... n/t by gmd (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 04:42:43 AM EST

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Easier than from a Palm pilot by lm (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 06:35:21 AM EST
Guess what device my previous comment was posted from.

Cicero, The Republic
I really don't care by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jan 22, 2018 at 07:53:10 PM EST
 I can quite happily do server side stuff but if someone waves large wads of money to do JavaScript, I'll do it

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Well obviously money comes into it. by gmd (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 03:13:13 AM EST
And javascript is almost as bad as pearl in enabling write-only code that requires the original developer to maintain at a high hourly rate...

For me its more about the aesthetics, all other things being equal I prefer to use C++/Java, as their strong typing ensures bug free code.

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Ha ha. by hulver (4.00 / 2) #15 Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 03:26:44 AM EST
Thanks, I got a laugh out of that one. :-D
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Money coming into it... by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Jan 26, 2018 at 03:30:12 PM EST

As the original developer paid a high hourly rate I see nothing wrong with this state of affairs

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL