Print Story So
Death
By jimgon (Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 07:26:23 AM EST) (all tags)
My father died last night.

He was 91 years old.  Born in 1926. Grew up in the Depression.  Too young for World War II.  Was in the National Guard during the Korean War until he received a medical discharge.  Worked in factories his whole life.  Got his hand caught in a metal press shortly after I was born.  Had partial use of the hand after years of surgery.  My mother died when I was three.  My father raised me himself.  He eventually landed a job working as a custodian in another factory.  Spent twenty years there before retiring.  He was doing well and then got sick last year and never really recovered.  Spent several rounds in the hospital.  In April he developed a staph infection that nearly killed him and probably should have.  Since then we've been watching the decline.  Over the last week the writing was on the wall.  He wanted to go and stopped eating.  Last night he got his final wish.

There's more. After my mother died he worked hard to keep the family together.  There were nine kids.  Two were adults by then.  Seven kids with limited job availability.  There was welfare and food stamps back then to keep a family together.  But then he also had to deal with the "social workers" who were always on the edges.  But he kept us together with some help from his brothers and my grandfather.  Not a small accomplishment.

He was my only living hero.  I loved that man.  I'll miss him terribly.
< To The Emperor! | Book Launch >
So | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm so sorry for your loss ... by me0w (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 07:43:54 AM EST
*hugs*

Oh, oh, oh. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 08:18:45 AM EST
There just aren't any words. :-(

Or get rabies. Also don't do that. --scrymarch

Oh man. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 09:02:15 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

He sounds like a good man by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 09:22:51 AM EST
I'm sorry for your loss.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I am very sorry by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #5 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 11:53:06 AM EST
Sounds like a great guy
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
What a hell of a guy. by Herring (4.00 / 2) #6 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 05:17:57 PM EST
My sympathies

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

He was by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 08:53:34 PM EST
 Thank you.

---------------
Sorry to hear it by ambrosen (3.00 / 1) #7 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 08:00:48 PM EST
That sounds like a pretty hard last 9 months for you all.

In a very different way to the many other hard years he got you all through. He sounds like an all round good egg. And I only know one of his sons, vaguely, but it's always seemed like he did a pretty good job on him.

Thank you by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 08:56:21 PM EST
I learned a lot. He may not have known what a good teacher he was, but he was proud of my daughters and so may have known.

---------------
It sounds like by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Jan 14, 2018 at 11:39:46 PM EST
you had someone you could really look up to, and I'm glad to hear that. I don't think I, or many others, could measure up to him in the same ways. It must make the loss all that much harder.

Take care.

See you, space cowboy.

I'm so sorry by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 12:57:23 AM EST
He sounds like a tremendous guy.
Sorry for your loss. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 02:51:50 AM EST

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I'm sorry by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 06:43:39 AM EST
He sounds like a good man.

Rest in peace, Dad of jimgon.

Iambic Web Certified

I am so sorry for your loss by miserere (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 09:09:40 AM EST
He sounds like an amazing father who earned his hero status. Peace to you and your family.

He sounds like a great dad by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 09:19:07 AM EST
I'm sorry that he's gone.

I'm so sorry, my friend. by clock (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 09:55:24 AM EST
He sounds like a man to be respected and remembered. He set a high bar and saw you clear it.

Peace to you and yours.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

sorry for your loss :( by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 05:38:13 PM EST

Oh man. by technician (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Jan 15, 2018 at 06:54:23 PM EST
Sorry to hear it, Jim.

I am so sorry by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Jan 16, 2018 at 11:08:09 AM EST
I am so sorry for the loss of your father. Thinking of you and your family.

Sounds like an impressive man. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Jan 18, 2018 at 11:33:56 AM EST
My condolences on your loss, and my congratulations on your having known him and had him in your life.

HUG

Thank you by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Jan 18, 2018 at 05:21:32 PM EST
it was an honor to be his son. Took me until I was married with kids to fully appreciate that.

---------------
Hugs for heroes by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #22 Sun Jan 21, 2018 at 10:05:29 AM EST
Peace.

What an example and source of strength by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #23 Sun Jan 28, 2018 at 07:07:24 PM EST
I'm glad you had him, and sorry he's gone.

(Been off HuSi for weeks - work - so just seeing this)

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Thank you by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Feb 01, 2018 at 07:13:22 PM EST