Print Story It's back to school time in the Ha household
Software
By georgeha (Mon Sep 25, 2017 at 03:08:27 PM EST) scope, project, stakeholders, CBT (all tags)
for three of us.

Plus, Lego. new cube/phone/network, corporate craziness, relative poverty, True Detective, Get Out and less!

Poll: Best programming technology to get certified in?

It's back to school time, sixteen_year_old is a junior in high school, going to school in dyed hair, jeans, a flannel and an obscure tee shirt.

Twenty one year old is back at the local community college and working as a lifeguard at the JCC.

And me? My corporation, at least the one that signs my paycheck, wants me to be certified in a bunch of things so they can charge higher rates. Some of the stuff makes sense, some doesn't. I suppose project management makes sense, but boy is it dry. I can do one two hour course and I'm done for the day. When you get to programming though, well, see my quiz.

Back in August, I got within a few kilometers of the Lego headquarters. There was a customer in a small port town near the German border having trouble, I ended going through Boston to get to Copenhagen, then Billund, then picked up and dropped off by a local employee. There was no time for a visit to Lego, but I did drink a fair amount of beer, and eat salmon and cod.

And I spend some time in the Lego shops at the airports, and even wandered through the two toy stores on the pedestrian mall in Aabenraa.

I don't want to fly through Boston again, the puddle jumper terminal and the international terminal are not connected, you have to leave security, get on a bus, go through security again and hope your flight hasn't left. On the way back, add customs and immigration. I made my last flight home with about ten minutes to spare.

As part of working for three masters, I had to move my cube, get a new phone number and a new network. I'm no longer in the super secure section, my area code is from California, and the new network appears to have fewer blocked sights. I haven't found one yet.

In the corporate craziness world, I was locked out of the corporate portal for almost three weeks, for unauthorized software. One bit of software was the remote access software the original corporate supplies, that we support and create. The other was Adobe Creative Cloud, which is invaluable for examining customer files.

I put that time to effective use though, learning all about the digital front end provided by the third corporation, the California based one. That's more learning I have on my plate.

We're still stuck in relative poverty, Mrs. Ha is still waiting for the right job.

Twenty year old turned us on the True Detective, Season One. Hey, it's got Woody Harrelson, it's got to be good. It is good, but she's irritating to watch it with, as she'll stop and rewind significant moments, just to make sure we get them.

On the way back from Denmark I watched Get Out, it was very good, and I don't like horror films. As soon as it shows up for free, I'll make the family watch it, to get them more woke.

Part of this certification stuff involves technical work, with the idea that I'll become certified in a programming language/technology. It's not really suitable for my position, and my cow-orker thinks we can easily get that requirement removed. I suppose I could take a stab at it while things remain calm. Of the things in the poll, what would be the most lucrative to learn?

< All the bad things happen miles away | I'm looking at the big sky >
It's back to school time in the Ha household | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
ASP is dying. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Sep 25, 2017 at 04:05:03 PM EST
Dot net still going strong though.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm surprised Fortran isn't an option by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Sep 25, 2017 at 08:41:57 PM EST
How can you be an engineering outsourcing company without Fortran.

Speaking of ForTran... by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Sep 26, 2017 at 11:51:16 AM EST
There >is< a 2015 spec. The language has everything from OO features to inherent concurrency support. Crazy HPC customers use it although I haven't had to bother with it since the early 00's.

Which reminds me - We're being re-org'ed again. No details yet but it looks like I can see the EOL for the technology I've worked on for the past 16 years.

On the upside, the EOL is probably still a few years off but it means it's time to stop arguing about new features and figure out how I feel about finishing my career doing maintenance.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I would be surprised if my platform is still being by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 26, 2017 at 02:22:59 PM EST
offered three years down the road, it will all be the digital front end from the third corporation I'm involved with.

Ten more years here would be great, though.

When did the old joke about by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 10:18:03 AM EST
"I don't know what language will be used in numerical programming in 20 years will be, but it will be called FORTRAN" stop being true?. I've heard that Python of all things (namely scipy, formerly numpy) is one of the most common replacements. MATLAB, of course, has been another for almost (maybe more) of FORTRAN's life. I'm not sure if R has much life outside of people like gzt (but that still gives it a lot of use).

I'm assuming the gulf between "can work on a GPU" and "can't work on a GPU" is big enough to rewrite your old libraries.

Wumpus

I've heard the same thing. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 03:11:56 PM EST
One of the problems with C in high performance applications (I've been told) is that the language is so loosely spec'ed it makes the optimizer's job much harder, to the point that even some scripted languages can be as fast as C binaries.

And when your coder is someone more interested in their simulations than learning subtle coding tricks, the dev cycle can be a lot faster with a newer language.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
r is definitely a big thing by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 01:18:33 AM EST
at least to tell from the people I know who do data analytics work for Big Advertising.
At the moment by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 03:15:02 PM EST
...anything involving JavaScript, especially React or Angular.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Not a choice by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 04:34:32 PM EST
and I have no idea why the corporation chose those languages.

Of the available choices by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 27, 2017 at 08:48:57 PM EST
you want Python. I don't endorse the language, but it fits in the most commonly useful niche. Or get the requirement dropped.

True Detective is great, but it really should go uninterrupted. There's a texture/vibe there that I doubt would not hold up to that kind of viewing.

Chill out, snowflake.

what's your objection to python? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 01:19:03 AM EST
The Kool-Aid by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Oct 03, 2017 at 02:36:48 PM EST

Chill out, snowflake.

er, what? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 12:22:26 PM EST
I'd worry about the 2 to 3 split, but can't understand this complaint. Programming languages really only have three paths. They can be corporate driven for specific strategic aims, they can be programmer driven because people like to program in that language, or they can wither and die.

Not that an obscure project language might not be the best choice, but it certainly limits input on a project and there's always the issue of basing your project on what may become a dusty deck.

Wumpus
PS. Python simply doesn't do GUIs. Not sure why, but don't use it for something where a lot of the work is based around a GUI.

python guis by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 02:54:09 PM EST
I've written a number of tools that use Flask for a GUI. Rails is better, but Rails was harder for me to wrap my head around, and there's a lot of the under-the-cover magic of rails that sets my teeth on edge.
Python isn't a tribe anymore, by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 03:00:30 PM EST
it's one of the most popular dynlangs on the planet. But the community is still acting like a tribe, and a shitty one. I keep seeing brain damage result from it (usually in the form of profound ignorance about every other programming language.)

Chill out, snowflake.

Boston airport: by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 29, 2017 at 12:44:15 AM EST
the worst.

True detective season 2: also the worst.

I haven't seen TD season 2 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 29, 2017 at 11:24:59 AM EST
so I have no opinion on that.

I thought Reagan National sucked to change planes in, but it's much better than Boston.

I haven't seen TD season 2 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 29, 2017 at 11:25:09 AM EST
so I have no opinion on that.

I must have lucked out. by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 29, 2017 at 01:30:55 PM EST
I don't think I've flown in/out of Boston. Dallas is one of the worst (especially if your the wrong direction from where you need to go). Denver wasn't fixed when I was flying, and probably still not a place you want to fly in/out. Saint Paul was oddly bad. I'm guessing they needed large areas between gates to pile the snow: that lead to some long walks inside a huge airport.

National? I've flown out of their once, and would prefer BWI over any other DC airport. The place should be small, I'm not sure how they managed to screw that up.

Wumpus

Saint Paul? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Sep 30, 2017 at 09:12:17 PM EST
Was that on a float plane onto the Mississippi?

Only issue I have with MSP is the super slow security (it's my home airport).

Project Management by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Sep 30, 2017 at 02:38:08 PM EST
Project management?  Training isn't particularly useful except to learn terminology and PMing is only of value if you are running a project with actual people to manage during the project.  If it's you managing you, then it's a bit of a waste of time.

---------------
I think it's a certification thing by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Oct 01, 2017 at 06:48:22 PM EST
Come, outsource your project to us, we have a high percentage of people certified in project management.