Print Story Josh just happens to be here!
Educashun
By gzt (Wed Sep 13, 2017 at 06:05:10 PM EST) gzt, ubi, medicare for all (all tags)
I have a wholly rational love of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I keep putting off finishing season 2. I  need more people breaking out into song in my life - I have a fair amount, but not enough.

Firefox is really pissing me off. On my work computer it's severely lagging with input. Also they upgraded to this "web extensions" framework for their add-ons which might be related? But I'm really only having this problem when it comes to the work computer rather than the home computer and they have the same add-ons and the same version of Firefox (same OS, too). The home computer has an input issue, but that's because of the mouse button wearing out, it's global, it's not Firefox. I do not have this input issue otherwise on this computer. I would switch back to Chrome but I like the "self-destructing cookie" add-on more than t he Chrome version, even if they're not going to port it to the new framework. And the whole "Chrome" thing. I suspect this whole thing may be because it always says Firefox is at 100+% of CPU usage or something. Laaaame. I only have like 10 tabs open.

Didn't end up going to the gym last night to test out the hip. I might today, but I'm in no hurry. Walking, stairs, a little running, those seem to hit it, and I don't want to stress it too much prematurely.

Looks like "Medicare for all" is picking up steam. The thing that really annoys nme about taxation arguments related to it is that employers already pay a lot for health care. Switch their existing private spending to a tax and you've got a lot of what you need. Now, businesses were already doing a lot of work to avoid paying for health insurance costs (moving people to part-time, contracting them out, etc), and businesses that currently don't pay would have some problems to consider, but, in general, the money's there. We spend so much more on health care than other countries for so many reasons. A better solution then is to make it a part of a progressive income tax.

Also by the way some health insurers already make lots of money as Medicare or other gov't health care administrators...

UBI: the thing that I don't like about UBI is that people often say, oh, yeah, we'll just totally get rid of all sorts of programs to make way for it. Yes, getting rid of food stamps and WIC could probably happen, maybe some aspects of Social Security, but housing assistance or many kinds of assistance for those with disabilities is going to be far more than a UBI could address.

I really don't want to do any work right now.

I really want to get the moderately-sized thing of kim chi from the Asian grocery store (not the BIG one and not the small one). It's like 1/3 the price of the kim chi at the regular grocery store.  My only qualm is that it is, necessarily, made with fish sauce.

Yes, I'm still doing my mostly-vegan and almost-entirely-vegetarian style of eating.

WEST COVINA! CALIFORNIA!

The GOP is going to destroy the world, but the Democrats have been falling all over themselves for the past couple decades to avoid stopping them.

< BitCoin
Josh just happens to be here! | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
the solidarity of american business is impressive. by the mariner (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 13, 2017 at 08:29:58 PM EST
even as employers of every kind work to worm their way out of insuring employees, as has been traditional for decades, their advocacy groups continue to fight what will probably be their best avenue to transfer the cost of medical treatment from themselves to workers: medicare funded by higher personal income taxes. all they have to do is hold the line on keeping taxes for "job creators" low. they're real team players going to the mat for the AMA et al. like this.

employer-paid health insurance is also massively subsidized through tax breaks. the government already effectively spends money on it in foregone tax collection.

yeah, pro-UBI libertarians are no better than other libertarians. UBI is extremely good tho.

big corporate doesn't care by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 13, 2017 at 08:56:25 PM EST
it's a benefit they can compete on with their exempt employees and it helps lock their employees in against the possibility of leaving. they can contract out most non-exempt jobs or dink around with non-full-time contracts. employer health insurance dates from wage controls in the 50s where employers had to compete on benefits because they couldn't on wages. chamber of commerce, of course, has their fuckheaded position on this.

not sure what the AMA position is on this. hospitals prefer to get paid. doctors in their own practices can usually make sure they get paid. frankly, they hate having to have the extra billing apparatus. insurers and big pharma really hate this.

UBI is good, but was the UBI Clinton was mulling a good UBI?

haven't seen a lot about it. by the mariner (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Sep 13, 2017 at 09:56:40 PM EST
it sounds like what matt bruenig is always talking about, but with that special clintonian half-measure spin to it. hillary is clearly thinking about another run in 2020 and she's trying to catch up on new political realities without reckoning with her past of losing by denying them.

it's always a question of what the UBI is supposed to do. is it supposed to let people buy things on a fucked up and increasingly shitty free market, things like say health insurance or housing? is it a replacement for wages that are being stolen, denied, automated or exported, etc? or is it a recognition that society is disintegrating under the weight of financialization and will continue to do so until people are fighting with sawed-off shotguns in the ruins of suburban america over rights to subsistence farm on burnt out lots?

in the campaign talk of UBI was always followed by shit like "those of us who produce income" and it's like you can "produce income" doing a lot of worthless and antisocial things. if people in positions of power and influence promote making money as the fundamental value in society, society is going to be a shitshow and that's what the clintons have always been about.

Pale Moon by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 14, 2017 at 05:22:28 AM EST
Have you tried the Pale Moon browser? It forked from Firefox somewhere in the low to mid 20s version but is still happy with most of the extensions and add-ons.

I'm going to have to switch to that by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 14, 2017 at 08:50:45 PM EST
since one of my absolutely necessary extensions is fundamentally incompatible with web extensions.

I tried to do that already but it isn't yet worth the hassle of configuring it. And hunting down the extensions (they direct you to the moz site half the time which tells you nothing is compatible.)

FF is getting some amazing perf improvements though. It will be a shame to miss out on those. Then again, they're messing with the location bar and breaking every extension that lets you deal with that, so... good riddance?

Chill out, snowflake.

"necessarily, made with fish sauce" by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Sep 14, 2017 at 06:04:48 AM EST
Well, not quite true. It's more traditional but miso paste works fine.

It's something that is pretty easy to make yourself.

Cicero, The Republic
Firefox by dark nowhere (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 14, 2017 at 08:45:04 PM EST
I'm having problems lately too. I think some of my extensions are fighting. Some are definitely not working (and seem to work when others are disabled.) Been using this combination for about a year. All "supported." So you might be running into whatever that problem is.

I'm also having this strange issue where using the context menu key will cause FF to crash as soon as the context menu is closed. Summoning it with right-click is fine tho.

Chill out, snowflake.

it sorted itself out today by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 14, 2017 at 11:39:21 PM EST
but, yeah, that's my hypothesis. not happy about it. I don't even run that many extensions.

Josh just happens to be here! | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback