Print Story First ride of the year
Cycling
By hulver (Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 05:50:39 AM EST) (all tags)
I've not been out since herring visited in December last year.

Monday was the day, after reading a few prodding comments in my last diary (thank you people) I thought that I really should stop making excuses, and go out on the bike.

Various things were threatening to prevent me. My back has been very sore for the last few days, the garage where the bikes are stored is an absolute tip, the bike might not work.

So I got dressed in cycling stuff, then went to try and sort out which bike I could take.

1. Commuting and trail bike. Still got my winter spiked tyres on.
  2. My "good" bike, chain is seized up and rusty (oh, the shame of it)
So, trail bike it was. As I was planning on going on the local trail anyway, it seemed like a good idea to change the tyres over. Fortunately I had plenty of practise at taking tyres off and putting them back on again during my volunteering for LEL. So it didn't take long to put normal tyres back on again.
The chain on this bike normally gets a squirt of oil every time I put it away, so it was still moving. A short bit of work with some baby wipes and a can of GT-85 and it was running lovely.

Start strava, and out I go.

Down the hill from home to the trail (which is the route of an old railway line) and off. Steady cycling, it was a lovely day. I made it to the first town on the trail, where the trail joins with a canal. I decided to cycle along there for a bit as well, as it felt too early to head for home just yet.

The canal trail was nice as well, a bit busier. Some narrow parts and you have to look out for dog walkers, joggers etc. Saw a Heron, and a few boats using the locks which was nice.

Checked my distance and I'd done 14.6 km. Had a banana and a bit of a drink, decided to go slightly further so that I'd have over 30km when I got home.

Did that, turned around and headed back the same way.

Back to the start of the canal, and then back along the old railway line trail. Getting pretty tired now. Stopped for another banana.

Rode back to the start of the trail, and then just the big hill to home. That was really hard work. In bottom gear, twiddling away, just made it without walking.

Just over 30km, just over 2 hours. Arse like chopped mince. Bring on the bum cream.

Feels good though, looking forward to going back out again when my arse has some more skin on it.

[EDIT Thurs 31 Aug] An hour on the eliptical last night. Distance read as "6.73", so lets see if I can improve on that next time I use it.

< The Great K5 Emigration of 2003 | Should NASA mess with Yellowstone? >
First ride of the year | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Arse like chopped mince. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 07:21:01 AM EST
That's why I have a soft, cushy, saddle.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Soft cushy saddle + long distance by hulver (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 07:32:34 AM EST
= Arse Mince.

For me it's the sweat which causes friction. A thinner lighter saddle is better, as I don't get as sweaty. My normal saddle is good, I think I'll swap that to my trail bike for next time.

10 months off the bike though, my arse is soft like a peach, it needs to toughen up a bit more.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Have you considered by gmd (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 07:44:35 AM EST
Modifying your personal grooming regime?

gmd - HuSi's second most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I said Peach by hulver (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 07:49:45 AM EST
Not Nectarine.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
There are some folks that need a cushy saddle by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 08:06:58 AM EST
But for the most part if your arse feels like chopped mince after a ride then either (a) your bike needs to be adjusted to fit you or (b) you're out of shape.

After I had my bike properly fitted a couple of years ago, I felt better downstairs after 50 miles than I had before the fit after 20 miles.

Cicero, The Republic
Hurray! by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 29, 2017 at 06:50:47 PM EST
Another lapsed cyclotarian brought back into the fold!

Cicero, The Republic
Good stuff by marvin (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Aug 30, 2017 at 12:19:36 AM EST
Slaying excuses is always the most difficult part of a challenging ride. When you have a long ways to go, or bad weather like rain or snow, you'll often get over the hump by the time you get to the end of your street. Then the rest of the ride is gravy.

Congrats... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Aug 30, 2017 at 05:15:08 AM EST
I had 10 days in a row going, but today I might fall off the wagon (bike?) as I'm not out yet and there's a lot of rain coming...

Nice Job! by mmangino (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Aug 30, 2017 at 08:41:50 AM EST
I think getting the cycling clothes on is key. Once I'm dressed, I'm going to get out and do something. Otherwise I feel like an idiot walking around in cycle kit :)

Plus, when I wear bibs, I can walk around the house all sweaty wearing the bibs with no shirt. Jen says she doesn't like it, but I think she does ;)

Heh by hulver (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Aug 30, 2017 at 12:26:27 PM EST
Unfortunately when I walk around with bibs and no shirt on, I look like big daddy.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I used to do something similar by lm (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Aug 30, 2017 at 09:30:38 PM EST
Made a habit of putting on my running clothes first thing in the morning.

Then if I'm not going to run, I have to make the conscious decision to change clothes.

Cicero, The Republic
I still haven't gotten out by Herring (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Aug 30, 2017 at 03:10:30 PM EST
so you've beaten me.

That climb up to Bolsover was "interesting". We don't have hills that big down in the soft South. Was a good ride.

I ought to get out because I know it would make me feel better. Maybe there's something telling me I don't deserve to feel better.

How's that for bringing the mood down!

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

I don't often do this. by hulver (4.00 / 4) #12 Wed Aug 30, 2017 at 03:51:02 PM EST
But you do deserve to be happy you daft sod. Get out on the bike.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
How are the pads on the bike shorts? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Aug 31, 2017 at 07:48:02 AM EST
I was having some saddle sore issues at the beginning of the season, brushed them off as needing to "toughen up" but once they started bleeding...

anyway, what I realized was that the pads in my bike shorts were all several years old-and-more or less pining for the fjords. Replaced them and haven't had a problem since.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
They're new shorts by hulver (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Aug 31, 2017 at 10:28:26 AM EST
Just too out of shape, not enough riding.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Followup? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Sep 12, 2017 at 01:22:11 AM EST
Your Strava feed looks barren. Tumbleweeds drift by, alone in the empty wasteland.

Aye by hulver (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Sep 12, 2017 at 04:43:13 AM EST
Just posted a training update.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock